The oil filter adapter scam - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

The oil filter adapter scam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 370 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I'll also add another 5 cents worth. The scam here isn't by the makers of this product; the scam is by the feds, who have driven up the price of making and buying and registering silencers and put the fear of a kevlar panty raid into American citizens. There are plenty of rural people across the country who would like to target shoot and hunt varmits on their property without disturbing their neighbors. The 3D gun hoopla is another example of a product created due to the feds, not because it was a natural evolution of gun design or a better product.
People Like This 
Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #32

Liked 840 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 256

About the only thing they can be used on would be AR type rifles as the filter is so large that you could not see your sights on most rifles. The sights sit very high on AR's so they should be fine. Though I would assume they would be best with sub-sonic loads which would not likely cycle the action on 223's.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6784 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
So what gun/guns would this thing fit on or is it a one size fits all
1/2x28 is typical threading on most 22 barrels and ar15's.

You can buy surefire quick detach suppressors adaptors which come in muzzle brake and flash hider formats and are intended for attaching a suppressor. This device is there act same thing. Totally legal until you put an unregistered suppressor on the end.

No legal diff tween this thing and the surefire muzzle brake on the end of my ar15.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #34

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

I'll have to add that IMHO, this has got to be an obvious attempt at skirting the law. Come on, now; who really is going to complain about the smell of gun solvents, or whatever? Those people should just take up knitting. Everything about guns is loud, messy, dangerous and dirty. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be fun, now, would it?
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #35
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Prisons are full of folks who try to "outsmart" the laws.
I bet you dollars for doughnuts that the people who are wrongfully imprisoned over authorities' misinterpretation (purposely or not) of the law far outnumbers the "folks who try to "outsmart" the laws."

hell, something like one in six people in prison are there because of pot! Now if that isn't a crime there are none.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #36
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I'll have to add that IMHO, this has got to be an obvious attempt at skirting the law. Come on, now; who really is going to complain about the smell of gun solvents, or whatever? Those people should just take up knitting. Everything about guns is loud, messy, dangerous and dirty. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be fun, now, would it?
Unfortunately, shooters who are married to a non-shooter have a much harder time of it. either you clean in the house and risk a ruined carpet (which is how this got started, BTW) or cleaning in inclement weather. If it's a 100 degrees or 10 degrees, the guns suffer because they don't get cleaned outside. The solvent trap keeps shooters and non-shooters living in perfect harmony!

I guess in that sense you could call this a "marital Aid."

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 09-13-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3450 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Call it what you may, it is still a blatant attempt at skirting the law.

Before you start flaming me...The law is stupid, unconstitutional, controlling, Draconian, outdated, and unconstitutional (yea I typed that part twice). Good for them if they get away with it. Boo if they are forced to hand over their customer list.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #38
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Before you start flaming me...The law is stupid, unconstitutional, controlling, Draconian, outdated, and unconstitutional (yea I typed that part twice). Good for them if they get away with it. Boo if they are forced to hand over their customer list.
Unfortunately you are spot on correct about that. On the plus side one can be made very easily with minimal tools.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #39
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Robo, no reason to flame you! We all try to at least stay out of trouble by following the letter, if not the spirit, of the law. But when BATFE has been kept in the loop all the way from development to actual sales to the public, how much more law-abiding can you be? The only thing illegal is the actual firing of rounds through an unregistered can (filter). It's like owning a car that goes 150 MPH - if you always drive it below the speed limit, it doesn't matter what it is capable of! And I don't mean this to be double talk - there is no winking or nudging going on here.

Anyone wishing to can contact Tom at this link ("Contact Us" at bottom of page) and he can provide proof of BATFE knowledge and approval. The last thing I would do is steer someone into a grey area where I thought they could be fined or arrested. That's the main reason I responded was because I was intimately familiar with the extensive registration attempts with BATFE to avoid any problems and didn't want members to get hurt.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
People Like This 
Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #40
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3450 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 372

All I can say is "Thank God BATF does not regulate cars".
People Like This