Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > The oil filter adapter scam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8062 Times on 4656 Posts
Likes Given: 10414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i saw a YouTube video last year of some company doing some testing of their suppressors and they used that gell used for lubricating electrical wire when pulling it through long runs of conduit. they tested with and without it. there was a difference in the measured decibels when used wet over dry in the suppressor. it was very interesting.
So that makes me wonder if the oil filter jobby would work better if you filled it with oil and then drained it out before mounting it?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20938 Times on 11895 Posts
Likes Given: 52506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
So that makes me wonder if the oil filter jobby would work better if you filled it with oil and then drained it out before mounting it?
quite possibly. the videos i saw of the oil filter suppressor was a new filter. though ugly, i did work quite well.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #23

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I think the only way to find out is contact the BATFE.Stuff like this I don't really like messing with.
I did find this
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-gca-silencer.html
Gun Control Act Definitions
Silencer

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(24)

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Im making a wild guess that since the adapter is by ATF's definition a "silencer" because it is a part intended on fabricating a oil filter into silencer.Again,I would contact them.I'm not an expert at this at all,just what I read online.

Last edited by WillWork4Ammo; 09-12-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #24

Liked 1283 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Prisons are full of folks who try to "outsmart" the laws.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #25
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1316 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

If it helps, I am friends with the inventor. He is a Class III manufacturer and did all of the work with BATFE to try to register the adapter. BATFE refused, saying that only the metal outer cylinder of a suppressor can be registered, not the adapter. He has 18 months of correspondence with BATFE ending in an approval letter to sell it as you see here. The purchase, possession and even use as a solvent trap is perfectly legal. You may also register a "can" (filter) as a suppressor. BATFE forgot to include the "engraved" part of the serial number in the regs, so you simply carry a Sharpie, destroy your old, shot-out can, write your serial number on your new can (filter) and you are legal. BATFE told him they would "prefer" he not sell it, but they admit it is legal.

Two things for those of you wishing to legally use these traps: they work better with the washer advertised with them (less spillage when attached) and STP and WX filters work best. Fram does not work well because of an anti-backflow technology.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

orangello Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Prisons are full of folks who try to "outsmart" the laws.
Chain, this doesn't fall into any sort of "grey" area. He is a manufacturer and would not risk his license. You are correct that prisons are full of those trying to "fudge" things, but I can guarantee you that BATFE is fully aware of the manufacture and use of these devices and they are 100% legal.

I would agree that the government may change regs to eliminate these or make them subject to registration. Those wanting to set a few aside for a governmental collapse should do what they can to get them now.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #27

Liked 913 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 568

I have personally shot a dry suppressor by YHM on a 1022. Very quiet, most of the noise was from the action racking. Certainly no need for ear protection. Same goes for the Mark III pistol. Same suppressor, I believe. I didn't shoot that one, but I was standing right there. Very quiet.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, that was with standard CCI's.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

So what gun/guns would this thing fit on or is it a one size fits all

Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #29

Liked 203 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I'll add my 2 cents and say that as a solvent trap, it works very quietly. Yes, you can find them on amazon and ebay for $10-$20 bucks. They come in several different sizes. Does very well at keeping the fluids draining thru the barrell off of the floor. Family members in KY use them on ruger 10/22s to shoot coons and possums. When I was there, all I heard was is a " click" using sub sonic ammo. Even if they did not register it as a silencer, on their 10 acres with no neighbors within a half mile, it is highly unlikely ATF is circling with drones and parking plumbing vans with blacked out windows down the road.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
So what gun/guns would this thing fit on or is it a one size fits all
It fits on most standard threaded barrels that are threaded for suppressors (1/2X28) and adapt it to 3/4X16 which is the threading for Chevy/Ford big block V8 engines. 4- and most 6- cylinder filters are too small to fit. Also, there are some other common size adapters to fit firearms that are threaded but not for a common suppressor:

From the website:

Nine (9) Current sizes available are

1/2 x 28 right hand threads, AR15, 22 caliber, various manufacters

5/8 x 24 right hand threads, AR10

14x1 left hand threads, AK47

24 x1.5 right hand threads (24mm), AK74

1/2x32 right hand threads, 9mm, various manufacturers

9/16x24 right hand threads, 40 caliber, various manufactures

.578 x 28 right hand threads, FN 45, 45 caliber various manufactures

Metric 15x1 right hand threads, HK guns with right hand threads

Metric 16x1 left hand threads, HK USP 45