Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   "Offensive" photo of a Springfield 1911 GI Model (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/offensive-photo-springfield-1911-gi-model-52374/)

Giveth 11-24-2011 10:34 PM

"Offensive" photo of a Springfield 1911 GI Model

THIS IS REGARDING A NON-FIREARM RELATED INTERNET FORUM, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SEEM TO KEEP MISSING THAT DETAIL

Hello,

I am new here. I have been meaning to make an account here for some time; I have been using the phone app for quite a while. I have grown up with firearms all my life but just recently discovered my new found passion- handguns. Although currently at 19 years old I only own a Ruger 22/45 Target Model, which I bought at the end of August for my birthday, I am in love. The reason I got the .22 was because I wanted to do a lot of shooting, and I cannot afford to shoot anything else.

My next purchase will be a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec. Anyways, someone pushed me over the edge today and I finally decided to make an account here to talk about it. I have been quite active on other internet forums, specifically an addiction recovery forum. I recently made my avatar this beautiful Springfield GI model. It never crossed my mind that it would offend someone.

Today I received a private message, from one of the moderators, that told me

"I am sorry but you really need to remove the gun as your avatar. There are a lot of reasons but the biggest one is we got a complaint from someone who lost someone who was shot.

Thanks for understanding."

Baffled and dumbfounded, my response was:

"Only out of respect for you, I removed it. However, I will make it clear that I do not understand. Are avatars of cars allowed? I know many who were lost in a tragic car-related injuries. What if I made a complaint, that, someone I know had been killed by an alligator or crocodile?(referring to her avatar of an alligator on the beach, with a caption that said "send more tourists, last ones tasted great!") Can you seriously cater to the complaints of every individual? Someone could find a complaint about anything.
On the flip side, I have known plenty of people who are still alive today because of a firearm.
I understand that this is not up for discussion, and I promise you will not see me with any more firearm related avatars. I would just like to make a complaint and say that I find it very hypocritical and unreasonable for me to have to remove a photo of an inanimate object.

With all due respect."

So what do you guys think? Did I over-react? Was that a reasonable response?

I would love to hear the input of others. By the way, my bad if this is in the wrong forum.

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving Y'all.

CourtJester 11-24-2011 10:39 PM

I find that kind of hard to believe.

JonM 11-24-2011 10:44 PM

Ummmmm how can anyone here have complained about an avatar of yours when the first post you have made here is one claiming a ftf moderator told you to remove your avatar....

I call bs.

Giveth 11-24-2011 10:44 PM

That makes two of us then. I was shocked. I can't wrap my mind around it.

Giveth 11-24-2011 10:45 PM

Dude, read the post. It wasn't here. I said it was another forum.

texaswoodworker 11-24-2011 10:46 PM

I think you were pretty civil about how you handled that. They shouldn't have asked you to do that due to the reasons you stated, but there is not much you could do about it since it is a forum.

JonM 11-24-2011 10:48 PM

Why complain here. Complaining about other forums is a little tacky. Your welcome to make a fresh start here :)

vincent 11-24-2011 10:48 PM

In the grand scheme of things...does it really matter? Pick your battles

Giveth 11-24-2011 10:50 PM

It's not necessarily a complaint regarding the other forum. I love the other forum. The complaint is about the fact someone actually made me remove a photo of a gun because they found it offensive. And I am not necessarily complaining, it is more like ranting...

Giveth 11-24-2011 10:52 PM

I mean not really... I just found it odd... felt like it would be something to talk about... but I might as well just delete this post