obama surrendering our sovereignty to UN - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > obama surrendering our sovereignty to UN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Considering that arizona has a large illegal mexican problem, the thought is that anyone of hispanic/mexican descent would be targeted by the law, but if someone with a celtic accent gets pulled over, and is actually an illegal from Ireland, they'd never have a problem.
Not true. My wife has a German accent and she has been asked for ID. There ae a lot illegal Asians here too. There are a lot more than Mexicans coming across the border. Virtually anyone that wants to sneak into the US can get in through Mexico the border is so loose. The Feds dont want it publicized but there have been links to muslims, Prayer rugs and other identifying materials leading to a number of nationalities. Terrorists are coming accross the border with impunity. The Border Patrol is doing all they can but they are hindered by a Government that really does not want the immigration laws enforced. That would cost them the Latino vote.
As an asside, the CA penal code requires all law enforcement to check the ID and detain any suspected illegal immigrants for the Feds. Of course CA ignores their own laws and the constitution. The CA law is as stringent as AZ's but it is ignored. The AZ law was not that vague until the courts got through with it.
The politicaly correct approach is going to be our downfall. We are so afraid of offending anyone that we dont do anything but harass our own citizens. The overwhelming percentage of illegals in this country are Latinos but we cant ask them if they are legal as it might offend them. This is lunacy.
JTJ, my point is the law gives officers nothing more than "whatever gives you reason to believe that they might be here illegally.

Your wife shouldn't be harassed because of a german accent. My friend Jared shouldn't be harassed just because his mother is Israeli and his father is Palestinian. People shouldn't be asked for documentation because they say their name is Ricardo and not Richard.

If anything, if you want the AZ law to have some credibility, force EVERYONE to show documentation that they are in the US legally. Not just "those we have reason to suspect might not be."

I know plenty of people who are foreign-born and I couldn't tell just by looking at them.

If illegal immigration is such an issue, the law should treat EVERYONE fairly, not just people who look/sound/act different than "us".

I'm fully behind the law... if it treats everyone fairly, which even the arizona police unions feared it couldn't.

Why not just have everyone in arizona need proof of legal residency? A lot more people (like myself) would defend that law.

Unfortunately, the way it is written, if someone says "this can be used as a way for a police officer to legally harass someone just because of their skin color," I'd have to admit "Yeah, you're right."

I'm in full agreement that illegal immigration needs to be controlled better. I just think the arizona law does it in a half-baked way.

As an aside: I remember WELL before the law went to the courts, there were videos, comedians, heck, just about everywhere I looked, people talking about "what does it mean 'reason to suspect they are here illegally'." I can find articles about the "vague legal language"

I looked up the CA law you're talking about, and it states that CA police ALWAYS have to check for legal status under a set list of conditions; such as being called to a domestic abuse, responding to a crime, etc (some exceptions are taking statements from witnesses). People don't complain about the law itself because the LAW treats everyone the same. Now, if CA cops aren't enforcing it, that is another matter entirely.

But we are a land of Law. That's what the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution was all about: Laws created by the people and for the people, and which treat all people as if they were created equal.

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Last edited by corrinavatan; 12-02-2010 at 03:10 AM.