Obama gun ban? Not so outrageous now
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Obama gun ban? Not so outrageous now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Default Obama gun ban? Not so outrageous now

Posted: February 03, 2011
10:45 pm Eastern

After more than two years of relative quiet regarding gun-control issues, the Obama administration, through its Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, or ATF, has begun laying the groundwork for a massive gun ban.

Last week the ATF released a "study" discussing the suitability of certain "non-sporting" shotguns for importation and sale in the U.S. The "study" suggests that shotguns with military-type features are not suitable for sporting purposes and therefore do not qualify for legal importation.

Unfortunately this "sporting purpose" language appears in several places in federal gun laws. These laws have been used successfully to ban several specific styles of shotguns in the past – not just banned from import or banned from sale, but banned from possession without special government permission and taxes.

The Armsel Striker and its various derivatives, for example, were little-known, repeating, 12-gauge shotguns capable of firing 12 shots as fast as the shooter could pull the trigger. In 1994 the ATF declared that these shotguns and their clones were not suitable for sporting purposes.

The National Firearms Act, or NFA, and Gun Control Act, or GCA, say that, with the exception of shotguns that are generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes, any firearm with a bore greater than one half inch is a "destructive device." A destructive device, or DD, is restricted almost exactly like a machinegun. To own one you must undergo a background investigation and get the permission of your local chief law enforcement official and also pay a special $200 transfer tax.

By declaring that the Striker was not suitable for sporting purposes, ATF removed the guns from the shotgun exception, automatically relegating them to DD status. People who already owned these guns were given a window during which they were required to register them, destroy them or turn them over to ATF.

With this new ATF "study," the Obama administration appears to be lining up dominoes in preparation to knock more down. As ATF pointed out in their reclassification of the Striker, the "sporting purpose" language in the NFA and GCA is virtually identical to the definition of destructive device, and therefore reclassifying a gun to a DD for import purposes also reclassifies it for GCA and NFA purposes.

While the telegraphed message from ATF is, "Prepare for new import restrictions on military looking shotguns," the message gun owners and respecters of the Constitution should be hearing is, "ATF is about to ban military-looking shotguns!"

Any such ban will be retroactive and could require all current owners of any shotgun on the ban list to go through all of the investigation and permitting processes and pay the $200 tax if they wish to keep the guns, though it is likely that they would wave the tax to help encourage compliance.

By re-opening this Pandora's Box of "sporting purpose" tests for shotguns, ATF could easily trip into the issue of "pistol-grip" shotguns as well. Shotguns with no shoulder stock but only a pistol grip have become very popular home defense and wilderness utility firearms.

Over a decade ago ATF relabeled these guns as "pistol-grip firearms" rather than shotguns, because under the legal definition in both the GCA and NFA a shotgun is designed to be fired from the shoulder and these guns are clearly not. So even though the actions and capabilities are the same, because the shoulder stock is removed, the official ATF classification of these firearms is no longer "shotgun." This is particularly significant in light of the direction ATF is going with their "study," because if shotguns with pistol-grips and no shoulder stock are not "shotguns," then they are by default, under the definitions of NFA and GCA and the logic of ATF, "destructive devices."

Reclassifying a few thousand Striker and similar shotguns is one thing. Reclassifying the several hundred thousand military-look shotguns likely to fall under the pending import ban would be a pretty massive undertaking. But reclassifying and dealing with all of the paperwork and necessary enforcement action for the millions of pistol-grip shotguns would be completely impossible without something akin to martial law.

The conclusion of all of this ATF posturing and preparation is hard to predict, and it could take years for it all to play out, but in the meantime ATF and the Obama administration have successfully instigated a new consumer rush for military-looking shotguns in anticipation of a ban and dramatically increased prices.

For over two years gun owners and rights advocates have been ridiculed and denigrated by the press and pundits for demonstrating an irrational and baseless fear that Barack Obama was going to "take away their guns." These ever so reasonable and rational journalists and commentators would virtually roll their eyes as they reported on the crazy paranoia fueling record gun sales. They would go on to repeat comments from Obama during the campaign and as president expressing his belief in, and support for, the Second Amendment. Some would even dredge up a clip of Vice President Joe Biden declaring that his running mate wasn't going to take peoples' guns – including Biden's own Berretta shotgun.

What was most astounding about these reports was how the talking heads would often segue directly into a story about the Brady Campaign Against Guns being frustrated that Obama had failed to live up to campaign promises to restore the Clinton ban on "assault weapons."

Apparently, to the media, "taking away your guns" is an all-or-nothing matter. They seem to think that gun owners and supporters of liberty would only have reason for concern if the president and Congress were trying to take away all guns from everyone (except, of course, government enforcers) and that banning "assault weapons" or "cheap handguns" or private transfers of firearms does not constitute "taking your guns away."

Jeff Knox is a second-generation political activist and director of The Firearms Coalition. His writing can regularly be seen in Shotgun News and Front Sight magazines as well as here on WorldNetDaily.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is starting to piss me off!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #3

Liked 310 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 27

So where does that leave me with a Super X-2 Practical Tactical 9 round shotgun that I bought years ago for HD? Not a pistol grip configuration as I have no use for them. Never thought that this gun would be an issue.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
This is starting to piss me off!!
Yeah, me too. Why have we not kicked this guys ass all over Washington for unconstitutional mandating of healthcare? Now he thinks he's able to capatilize on the sick actions of a psychotic killer, pull agency strings and toss the 2nd amendment out the window. Voting season can't come soon enough for me. I wonder what his re-election campain motto is gonna be? Probably "Change... The Constitution"

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:58 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

There are sporting reasons for shottys that hold multiple rounds (more than 3) in either pump or semi-auto. Anyone like to shoot clays? Who's that guy who does the shows where he takes out 8+ hand thrown clays without reloading? Tom Knapp?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, and sometimes nothing is more fun then cutting a tree down with pure firepower. It doesnt hurt anyone and involves outside and fun.. thats enough definition to be a sporting purpose to me

I dont care what the government classifies as a sporting purpose and what isnt. I dont own my guns for a sporting purpose, i own my guns for self defence, and sporting purposes secondarily. I will give them my bullets though, I am keeping the casings.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There is not one GD thing in the 2A that mentions weapons for sporting purposes! The language is inappropriate justification for the banning of any firearm.

When will this STOP!

It's time a regular Joe runs for office and cleand house, literally!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Preaching to the choir. Tell it to your elected officials..... they're the ones who will vote yes or no. I send emails, and make phone calls quite often. It's the only way to get their attention.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Preaching to the choir. Tell it to your elected officials..... they're the ones who will vote yes or no. I send emails, and make phone calls quite often. It's the only way to get their attention.
That's correct... bitching here is pointless. You have to contact your Representatives, NOW. Not after you lose your guns.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #10

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Well apparently they did not get the message in 10'. Lets see what happens when they push this **** hard for the 2yrs the Obamadingdong has left and we'll see some more "hope and change" in 12'.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD