(NYC) DA 'guns' for the little guy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > (NYC) DA 'guns' for the little guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default (NYC) DA 'guns' for the little guy

Half of the gun scofflaws caught packing heat illegally in the city wriggle out of jail sentences or do only minimal time, despite a get-tough law that's supposed to send them to prison for at least 3½ years.

That's according to legal papers filed Friday that accuse the Manhattan District Attorney's Office of coddling pistol-loving celebs, including ex-Giant wide receiver Plaxico Burress, rapper Lil' Wayne and rocker David Crosby, while cracking down on average Joes.

The filing by defense lawyer Mark Bederow says his client, Jonathan Ryan, is Exhibit A of the double standard.

Prosecutors charged the Florida landscaper with a violent felony -- criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree -- after cops in Midtown found a 9mm pistol and ammo in the glove compartment of his truck during a traffic stop in February.

But court papers charge that despite Ryan's cooperation with authorities, lack of a criminal record and insistence that he had completely forgotten about the unloaded weapon, prosecutors weren't willing to cut him a break.

"He has no criminal record," said Bederow, a former prosecutor at the DA's office.

"He's a decent, religious man trapped under New York's severe gun-possession laws, which are being unjustly applied. They're demanding he do two years for an honest mistake when in many other cases they look the other way. It's absurd."

Lawmakers upped the minimum for second-degree weapons possession and expanded the charge's reach to include merely possessing a loaded weapon.

Statistics cited in the documents show that between 2007, when new gun laws went into effect, and last year, 49 percent of city defendants hit with that charge ultimately got violations or misdemeanors, not felonies.

Lil' Wayne, who has multiple drug arrests, copped to a lesser charge and got a one-year sentence after being nabbed with a .40 caliber pistol in 2007.

And Burress, who accidentally shot himself with an unlicensed weapon at a nightclub, pleaded to a felony gun count and is serving two years.

Ryan, 29, was stopped on East 60th Street for making a right on red.

When took his registration out of the glove compartment, cops spotted the 9mm gun, registered in Florida.

Bederow claims Ryan, a hero in his hometown after he rescued a drowning child in 2000, simply forgot about the gun.

[LINK]

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 305 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The stupidity plaguing the legal system is astounding. I would love to see the 2nd amendment incorporated against the states.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I'd love to city the NYC break away and float off into the Atlantic, taking along with it all the stupid folks it can hold

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 305 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I'd love to city the NYC break away and float off into the Atlantic, taking along with it all the stupid folks it can hold
That's one way to get rid of the Mosque at Ground Zero...

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
That's one way to get rid of the Mosque at Ground Zero...
And the United Nations building along with all of its inhabitants!

TXnorton

Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

You silly people...only law abiding working stiffs get prosecuted under gun laws in places like NY and NJ. Career criminals, illegal aliens and celebrities are exempt.

If I were caught with a gun and no CCW the legal fees and such would bankrupt me...felons with rap sheets a mile long are back on the street in hours with charges reduced or dropped entirely...prison overcrowding BS and such.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Where's the NRA when they're seriously needed? They need to start taking up a legal defense fund for him.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The NRA is not concerned with individual's problems. There is no serious cash to be raised there. Also, in fairness, how would you decide who to aid and who not to. At any rate, they only deal with generalities.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #10

This is a sad story. But that's what happens when you forget where you are going (Fla to NYC) and forget about the gun in the truck. Now this guy will have to pay the price. Sad, so sad. This stuff happens all the time and gun owners MUST be aware of the laws in the other states. I got snagged in New Jersey many years ago while living in Vermont. I got lucky. They had a pre trial intervention program and I was eligible. It cost me $1500.00 for the lawyer and forfeiture of my Ruger .44 Redhawk that I think cost me around $350.00. Add on another $350.00 for a new Redhawk and the lesson cost me some $2700.00. As for the "where's the NRA", lets not jam on them again, they are not responsible for this guys stupidity. And in the end this guy was just plain stupid, just like I was. They do what they can and have been effective in working for gun rights for many years.

Last edited by Ruger44; 09-13-2010 at 10:26 PM.