NYC CCW Double Standard - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

NYC CCW Double Standard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

That is the same argument that the Brady ban all guns have used to fight gun rights every where in the country. The truth is with proper background checks the states now have less crime. This was the same propaganda that said gun fights would be constant in big cities at stop lights. Some what true car jackings in those cities is no longer healthy. NYC is safer with the bad guys owning guns? People afraid to walk on their own streets? And you want to ban guns to reduce accidents?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was a NY cop in my in a former life. The gun laws are ridiculous. Mandatory 1 yr irrespective of circumstances. Virtually impossible to get a carry permit. On the other hand, they issued one (and have continued to renew it) to Howard Stern.

And people wonder why i moved south.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #13

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
So you believe it is justified to deny citizens their rights under the constitution because you believe they are too ignorant to own a firearm.
(Hmmm. It's hard to separate me; the New Yorker, from me the Adirondacker. Your indulgence please.)

No. I believe they are justified to deny themselves their rights under the constitution because they believe that there are too many of them that are too ignorant to own a firearm. They feel safer with firearm restrictions then without them.

Which, having lived there, I believe may very well be the case in actually as well as perception.

Which, having been a member of the Westside Rifle & Pistol Range but who stopped because of all the 'cowboys' and 'secret agents' that started going there who waived their guns all around, and who should have known better, know to be true personally.

New Yorkers feel safer with firearm restrictions then without them. Which is why no local NYC candidate who opposes the restrictions gets elected.

This is my informed opinion of the situation in NYC.

Last edited by Vincine; 01-31-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #14

They also give a CCW to Don Imus a user of hard drugs and brags about it. By Federal Law how does he buy a legal firearm. These things are OK in Left Leaning thought only the working class is a danger.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To the best of my knowledge Imus was never convicted of a felony.
I think he was too stoned to be arrested.

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-31-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #16

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
That is the same argument that the Brady ban all guns have used to fight gun rights every where in the country. . . . . . And you want to ban guns to reduce accidents?
There isn't a correlation between gun regulation and gun violence. There are some states with strict gun restrictions that have rates of gun violence just as high as states without, and there are some states without gun restrictions that have rates of gun violence just as low as states that do. I checked.

The problem with absolute gun restrictions, is it's application across the whole country.
The problem without gun restrictions is it's application across the whole country.

Although good numbers on gun accidents visa-vie gun restrictions and violence are elusive, it seems that where gun control is low, violent crime is down but 'accidents' are up; and where gun restrictions are high, accidents are low, but violent crime is higher (only criminals have guns, etc.).

Generally speaking rural areas have low rates of both violence & accidents and urban areas have high rates of violence & accidents.

I don't know that it matters to someone whether they were shot on purpose or by accident. I do think it matters to some communities which price they wish to pay. NYC would rather have crime (which is currently relatively low actually) than accidents.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
There isn't a correlation between gun regulation and gun violence. There are some states with strict gun restrictions that have rates of gun violence just as high as states without, and there are some states without gun restrictions that have rates of gun violence just as low as states that do. I checked.

The problem with absolute gun restrictions, is it's application across the whole country.
The problem without gun restrictions is it's application across the whole country.

Although good numbers on gun accidents visa-vie gun restrictions and violence are elusive, it seems that where gun control is low, violent crime is down but 'accidents' are up; and where gun restrictions are high, accidents are low, but violent crime is higher (only criminals have guns, etc.).

Generally speaking rural areas have low rates of both violence & accidents and urban areas have high rates of violence & accidents.

I don't know that it matters to someone whether they were shot on purpose or by accident. I do think it matters to some communities which price they wish to pay. NYC would rather have crime (which is currently relatively low actually) than accidents.
You are 100% wrong. Read John Lott's More Guns Less Crime. I am absolutely sure he check more than you did.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Totally unscientific.
Where I live, everyone is carrying and everyone knows it.
We have an incredibly low violent crime rate (exclude domestics and mdp's).

Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 AM   #19

This is very antigun propaganda right from the Brady Hand Book. My question is why is Vincine posting on a progun forum? As if we don't know.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:32 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3584 Times on 1840 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I agree that spouting the Brady pablum is silly. One must keep in mind that gun "violence" statistics include justified uses of force by LE and civilians. Gun violence is high in Houston (for example), but they have an officer involved shooting nearly every day. That adds over 300 to the number every year. Houston is pretty rough and tumble for a "civilized" city. HPD, Harris County and various other smaller agencies deal with some very bad apples. They deal with them as they should, by shooting them. I have not seen the stats lately, but NYPD shoots quite a few BG's every year too. Their numbers are artifically inflated by such statistics.