NYC CCW Double Standard
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > NYC CCW Double Standard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NYC CCW Double Standard

Stories like this really pisses me off. If the shooter was your average NYC law abiding citizen (instead of an off-duty police officer), he would be dead because he isn't allowed to carry a firearm.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/155088/off-duty-officer-fatally-shoots-would-be-teen-mugger

Off-Duty Officer Fatally Shoots Would-Be Teen Mugger
By: Kristen Shaughnessy

Police are investigating after a teenager was shot and killed by an off-duty police officer late last night during an apparent robbery attempt in Brooklyn.

It happened just before 12 a.m. Monday outside 22 Grove Street in Bushwick.

Sources say the off-duty detective was walking along the street when the teenager, identified as Antoine White, 17, and another man came up behind him and apparently tried to rob him.

Sources say White hit the officer on the left side of his face with a cane while the other man simulated that he had a gun.

They say when White hit the detective with the cane again, the officer identified himself and fired off one round, hitting him in the chest.

Some people who live or work in the area say they were surprised, while others were not.

"It gets quiet and then they come back. On Broadway they've been putting police down because they've been robbing people. They taking the phones and breaking car windows and they've been robbing people. Like I say last night they got the wrong person," said one Bushwick resident.

"A lot of people come in at 12 and it is real scary to know you can walk into situations like this. Usually I walk down Grove and I had to walk down Linden and that's scary over there too," said another resident.

The officer was taken to the hospital for trauma and injuries to his face.

Police are still looking for White's accomplice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Stories like this should be used to repeal NYC's insane gun-control laws. But nothing will happen. Too few people in NYC get it.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Stories like this should be used to repeal NYC's insane gun-control laws. But nothing will happen. Too few people in NYC get it.
The majority of NYC residents are brainwashed here by Mr Bloomberg's "War On Guns" media propaganda. I'm flipping through gun magazines in the subway (wear a suit an tie) and riders are looking at me like I'm going to get up a start shooting.

Can't wait for his (illegal) 3rd term is up. What's sad is that on the same day the NYPD was running their gun buyback program.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

This only goes to prove what I have been saying all along- we have to do something about all those assualt canes out there.

There needs to be a waiting period to get one of those- and a 7 inch limit on canes. And don't get me started on the Cane Show loophole, and those damned Hoveround chairs!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Nah, bloomerberg would just point out that the robbers didn't have a firearm. He would ignore the rest; blinders work on jackasses and jenny's too, not just horses.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah, if the shooter had been a private citizen instesd of leo, he would now be looking at prison time.

Basically, NYC. is saying "we own you. you may not defend yourself, or your family for that matter." They have put a value on your life, and it aint squat.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #7

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

...and millions of people still choose to live there?

Sheeple get the Govt they deserve.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Default About NYC gun laws, a contrasting opinion.

I grew up & lived in NYC. NYC has more: More money & more poverty, more good jobs & more unemployment, more this & more that, etc., then most other places. It has more of everything, except space. (Nebraska got that.) It has a lot of very sharp people (see Wall St.) & it also has an unbelievable number of emotional imbeciles (many also in Wall St.) than most other places.

If guns were freely available in NYC you would see an explosion of accidents and regrettable homicides to make the number of homicides from robberies and attacks seem like a suggestion. You’d have people killing each other over card games and parking spaces, forget about foreclosures and firings. If you don’t believe me, watch ‘Judge Judy’ a couple of times and tell me if you would feel safer in NYC if people like that had guns as an option. There are lots of people like that in NYC.

Think about all those who have become habituated to some degree the public teat. What do you think they would do if (when?) the milk stops? What do you think would happen when people who have had a life time of more limited control over their lives then the rest of us, were to suddenly obtain the power of life and death for the first time?

In NYC the danger from BGs with guns isn’t anything like the danger from ‘friends & family’ with guns. A lot of you guys have grown up with guns and are accustomed to the rights & responsibilities that go with gun ownership. That’s not the case in NYC. The only experience vast majority of people there have with firearms is the movies where the guns never run out of bullets, the BGs can’t shoot, the GGs only get flesh wounds, and you’re a hero because you use a gun. And lots of people want to be a hero.

The gun laws in NYC aren’t there to keep the guns out of the hands of the bad guys, they’re there to keep the guns out of the hands of the good guys. Except for the LEOs (usually), most New Yorkers aren’t competent to have the responsibility. If they’ve got kids, they’ll store the gun without the lock because they lost the keys and on top of the refrigerator because it’s ‘out of reach’ or they’ll use a Desert Eagle to shoot chickadees in their backyard and be surprised that the bullet went through the cyclone fence backstop and hit their neighbor’s house across the driveway.

Personally I don’t think visiting legally permitted handgun carriers to NYC should get anything more than their hand slapped, perhaps hard for not doing their homework. But I don’t know how NYC would be able to sort those out from those who would use lax restrictions as a free ride to run guns to the aforementioned idiots.

I believe in ‘home rule’ and whether or not I like the restrictions on firearms in NYC, it’s wouldn't presume to think it's my call. It’s theirs.

(I moved away from NYC for unrelated reasons awhile ago.)

Last edited by Vincine; 01-30-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 690

So you believe it is justified to deny citizens their rights under the constitution because you believe they are too ignorant to own a firearm.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

I AM a believer in evolution. Or, as a friend used to say, "Go Lemmings Go!" The average IQ of the human race would probably improve a smidge.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.