Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > NYC bans aluminum bats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NYC bans aluminum bats

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/03/15/new-york-city-bans-aluminum-baseball-bats/

First firearms (for the most part) and now baseball bats? What shall the nanny state ban next?? Here's a good one, lets ban white clthes after labor day!

Last edited by clip11; 07-21-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

The reason aluminum bats exist is the traditional alternative was worse !

Not a fan of the current aluminium bats myself. Too light and too responsive. The kids - even small kids - generate too much bat head speed for the distances involved. Therin lies the issue - and the solution.

Since the bat is metal its easy to tailor the bat to be a perfect replica of a wooden bat in weight, balance and rebound. But that wouldn't be "politicallly korrect" as bigger kids would be able to "swing from the knob", while smaller,less muscled kids would have to "choke up" to get the same swing/head speed. Probably wouldn't suit the Little League World Series organizers either. Or the High School, or Collegiate ones either !

We went to aluminium bats because of the serious/lethal injuries from splintered wooden bats. But, being Americans, we couldn't resist "improving" them, hence getting us to where we are. When a kid generates bat head speed akin to major league levels hits one back thru the box, that pitcher isn't 66'6" away. He's a lot closer and loses in the perception/reaction/ball speed equation. So do other infielders. >MW

Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well I guess the factory in Louisville is going to have more business from the old NYC. You know a lead pipe is probably better smaller easily concealed. Next thing you know there going to start banning knife that are longer then 5 inches.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

NYC denizens of criminal intent have never quibbled on weapons ! I doubt like hell they give a damn what the bat's made out of so long as its sufficciently durable for their purposes ! OTOH I wish the NYC Council would devote it entire agenda to such things as bat materials, sidewalk rebound factors, the size/color of street signs, nail clippers, combs, etc to the exclusion of all other social issues ! >MW

Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
Next thing you know there going to start banning knife that are longer then 5 inches.
In Chicago it is illegal to carry any fixed blade knife or any folding knife with a blade longer than 3.5".

I love the fact that our governments (states and federal) have no money and politicians somehow feel like banning bats is a good use of their time. As citizens we are paying these people to waste our money. It's frustrating to know that I would not be a good politician. It seems like the perfect job. You get paid for wasting time.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Just so that I am clear...the ban is for child safety, not for bad guy safety, correct?

I just want to make sure they aren't on their way to banning pointy sticks, though it wouldn't surprise me.

Heading the ball in youth soccer is already banned in many leagues across the country, why not particular bats?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Oh, they got it all wrong! Don't ban the bats, ban children from playing or watching any sport where there is the possibility of them being injured.

That should eliminate the need for many of the sporting goods stores in the city, end the requirement for parks, no community swing sets, slides, monkey bars, round abouts; just think of the tax money they will no longer have to collect!! No reason to take the kids to a hockey game, baseball game, out to the golf course, horse back riding; no need to buy your kid a bicycle, roller blades, a skate board or scooter. How wonderful life will be when we no longer have to worry about our children getting injured!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgiant215 View Post
In Chicago it is illegal to carry any fixed blade knife or any folding knife with a blade longer than 3.5".

I love the fact that our governments (states and federal) have no money and politicians somehow feel like banning bats is a good use of their time. As citizens we are paying these people to waste our money. It's frustrating to know that I would not be a good politician. It seems like the perfect job. You get paid for wasting time.
that really sucks, I carry a fix blade everywhere what in the hell is wrong with people. People are over protective of there kids, there over protective of people in general. Making a law isn't going to stop something it just makes it harder to do.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 AM   #9

Yeah, the idea that if you ban any weapon all of a sudden criminals, (who get a majority of their weapons illegally), will suddenly stop using that weapon, is kind of silly. Smells like somebody looking for reelection.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #10

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

they'll probably ban rebar next...