Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > NY visit question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default NY visit question

I may visit the Catskills soon allowing me the opportunity to do some target shooting at a friends property. Is my Mini 14 Target with the laminated thumbhole stock and 10/22 with a thumb hole stock and 10rd mag no go with the new law? I'm a Ct resident. Thanks,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #2

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Nothing's illegal if you don't get caught

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 04-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

True, but I have terrible luck. Anyone?

Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just a thought....no solid knowledge to share.

Based on the crazyness in NY.. I would leave your guns in CT and borrow something from you friend.. he may have stuff that is grandfathered in. but I bet yours could be taken if they even appear to violate the new laws.

I am not sure even the police there know exactly what is legal as the politcians just made the new laws up on a napkin.. and passed them in the dark of night.

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito

orangello Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Post-ban mini certaily OK without the arrestor or bayonet lug and probably OK with one of those if you have a thumbhole stock.
Otherwise I think you're fine with max 10-rnd mags (but they only want you to load seven).

The better news is only NYC, Long Island, and one other county I believe aren't officially fighting afgainst the SAFE Act. Police outside those areas except state police aren't even thinking of enforcing the new law -- they couldn't if they wanted to. Just don't try to sell your gun on a street corner or break some other laws with them.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_inWA View Post
Just a thought....no solid knowledge to share.

Based on the crazyness in NY.. I would leave your guns in CT and borrow something from you friend.. he may have stuff that is grandfathered in. but I bet yours could be taken if they even appear to violate the new laws.

I am not sure even the police there know exactly what is legal as the politcians just made the new laws up on a napkin.. and passed them in the dark of night.
The ambiguity is what I fear. The Mini14 Target's stock isn't so much a thumb hole, it's a vertical post within the stock.
Not my rifle but its exactly like this:
image-2929569439.jpg