NY Cops Using Armslist.com To Sting Gun Owners? - Page 17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > NY Cops Using Armslist.com To Sting Gun Owners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 AM   #161
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8232

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. I wonder why they don't do it more often?
Probably has something to do with where you get pulled over, and traffic patterns, obstructions, guard rails, on a bridge, etc. Light, slow traffic and the stop is on a bridge 2 feet off the guard rail suddenly a LH approach feels a lot safer than a RH one. to some degree it may also have to do with the preference of the LEO stopping you.

I got pulled over 6 years ago on the Niagara section of the I-90 for no seat belt ( guilty! I don't feel they should be forces on a driver if they are the only occupant of said vehicle, but laws are laws. I buckle up every time I drive now. Too expensive not to.), and the Trooper who stopped me came up on the left in rush hour traffic (07:30). Right as I was handing him my paperwork a truck passer close enough to send his Stetson flying, and he almsot jumped in through the window of my wife's van. I asked him, FHOG, to come to the passenger window when he came back from running my information and writing my ticket. He came back up to the van, on the right after checking me out, and thanked me while handing me a parking ticket and advising me to wear my seat belt.

I have bumped into him a few times since then (we shop at the same LGS in Erie County) and he now approaches on the left only when traffic is light. In the case of some senior officers, approaching on the left is a throwback from when most vehicles on the road still had manual windows. Not as much need to reach across to roll down with most new cars having power windows. Most of the time, the LH approach is due to wanting to talk to the person who violated the law, 9 times out of 10 it is the driver hence walking up on the left.

i am also the person who will pull into a parking lot if one is close during high trafic hours when stopped. just safer for all IMHO. Only had to do so once, not for me, for my MC permit holder,because of a tail light being out on his bike. Worked out good, The LEO who stopped us stuck around for coffee while i changed the bulb, and signed off on the ticket. He did ask why we stopped in the lot, and when i told him the reason he thanked me. decent guy.

is it just me, or are we about 300 miles off course here?

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 01-03-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #162

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I avoid raleigh/durham like the plague. I will happily pay $50 more for something if I don't have to go to the triangle.

We have people that will line up totally blocking everyone and drive a couple MPH under the speed limit. Not so slow they are at risk for impeding traffic but slow enough to have a mile long string of angry drivers behind them. There should be a citation of some fashion for intentionally provoking other drivers. Around here we always have a law enforcement campaign to curb aggressive driving but there are no laws against doing things that will make most people want to get clear of a bonehead.
In Germany that behavior carries a hefty ticket. The citation translates to basically "not driving right", where right means correctly(not the direction).

Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #163
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 960 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Everybody trains a little different on traffic stops. Some guys walk up to either side and keep the door frame between them and the driver. Some guys stand right in the middle of the window and make a nice silhouette, some guys don't walk up to the car at all.

Unless I think the persons trying to hide something I never walk up to the car, I make them walk to me. If I do approach the car it's usually from the passengers side. Preferably when I know another unit is close by and clear from their calls.

LEOs are creatures of habit. Most guys pick a method and do things the exact same way every time regardless of the circumstances, road obstructions etc. Which can be dangerous for everybody sometimes.
The walk to you is interesting to me, because a friend of mine got pulled over many years ago in a commercial truck and didn't know why so he assumed that something came loose on his load. He jumped out of the cab to see what had happened and was met with a pistol to the face and an irate leo explaining that you never jump out of the truck, you wait for me to come to you.

The last two times I got pulled over they came to the passenger window, but it was on the interstate so the passenger side was safer.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #164
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2248 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U
The walk to you is interesting to me, because a friend of mine got pulled over many years ago in a commercial truck and didn't know why so he assumed that something came loose on his load. He jumped out of the cab to see what had happened and was met with a pistol to the face and an irate leo explaining that you never jump out of the truck, you wait for me to come to you. The last two times I got pulled over they came to the passenger window, but it was on the interstate so the passenger side was safer.
When I get stopped myself, I pull over to a safe place, put the vehicle in park, keep my hands on the steering wheel, and wait to see what the cop wants me to do.

It's never a good idea to suddenly jump out of any vehicle on a traffic stop. See the second video I posted earlier for a great example of why the cop will not like that.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #165

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Cool, those explanations were good. Yeah, who doesn't know not to just get out of the vehicle when stopped? If I recall, I was told this early on, in Driver's Ed, I think it was…..

We are 300 miles off course, but so what, useful stuff...

Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #166

Liked 2470 Times on 1604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

When I get stopped myself, I pull over to a safe place, put the vehicle in park, keep my hands on the steering wheel, and wait to see what the cop wants me to do.

It's never a good idea to suddenly jump out of any vehicle on a traffic stop. See the second video I posted earlier for a great example of why the cop will not like that.
I also put on the interior light, if dark. Whatever it takes to keep from getting a ticket.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #167
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I always try to pull into a parking lot if possible(For Officer Safety) then I put it in park turn off the car put my interior light on and keep my hands on the steering wheel. I immediately notify the officer that I am a commissioned(Armed) security officer and have my duty belt with loaded firearm in the car and I have my backup in the center console every single time after these chain of I events I receive a warning or a hey your license plate light is out. I thank them tell them to be safe and scoot, but that is if I get pulled over my PH plates usually deter that.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #168
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1998 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 957

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
If you post that you're doing illegal actions, you're not smart..You're just asking to be in trouble and you're risking your rights.

Please do not include me, there are smarter ways to stand up for your rights and beliefs.
One EXCUSE is as good as another! Speak out now or lose it forever.
Sheepeople, God Bless them.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #169

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Meanwhile, in Detroit, a police chief who recognizes reality, trusts law-abiding citizens to do the right thing and has the ballz to speak against the monied and the powerful:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140103/METRO01/301030038/Detroit-police-chief-Legal-gun-owners-can-deter-crime?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 01-04-2014 at 01:15 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 AM   #170

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Meanwhile, in Detroit, a police chief who recognizes reality, trusts law-abiding citizens to do the right thing and has the ballz to speak against the monied and the powerful:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140103/METRO01/301030038/Detroit-police-chief-Legal-gun-owners-can-deter-crime?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

The link is broken Rocky.