Is the NRA our friend? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Is the NRA our friend?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Talking

On behalf of the Brady Organization, Bill & Hillary Clinton, Roseann Barr, Janet Reno, Nancy Pelosi , Tom Mauser and N.A.T.O. ......

Thanks for canceling your NRA membership !

They are FAR TOO POWERFUL to be tolerated at any level !

When their influence on a national level exceeded that of the A.A.R.P.
as a single issue organization....we were very upset ! They MUST be stopped ......and silenced !

Please re-register and vote as a Democrat, send your donations for Hope and Change to the Obama Campaign or the Union of your choice.

Together we can disarm America under the authority of the United Nations to make the People of the World SAFER by eliminating private possession of firearms, which is an unsafe, evil practice !

Then again...just drink the mainstream media KOOL AID and take your meds and keep smoking your medical marijuana.....and you won't even notice...until we knock on your door to TAKE your guns.....to make your neighborhood safer !

OR..................rejoin the MOST POWERFUL CIVIL RIGHTS ORGANIZATION in the USA.....get involved...and continue to empower the NRA to do what it DOES BEST....Protect your 2nd. Ammendment Rights !

Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #12

Liked 29 Times on 7 Posts

Dude, wake up.

What the NRA does best is solicit donations. They do not like or support REAL 2A organizations as it usurps their power to collect money. They have done some good but they are not the be all end all of organizations. The 2nd Amendment Foundation and others do a lot more than just collect money...

Old 05-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #13

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

I started having a problem when the VT shootings happened. They were close as I live in VA. The one Gun rights org out there saying wait one dam minute. Lets look at the details before we go jumping on any band wagon was Virginia Citizens Defense league (VCDL). They stood right there and said VT had a hand in it because they do not allow Current CCW holders to carry on campus and when the college and professors had issues with the kids that did the shooting nothing happened. The Federal govt passed laws that you have to have a background check and the kids did he passed them all to purchas the firearm used in the shooting. VT also has "GUN FREE ZONE" signs all over the place yet they allowed this student to have a gun on campus.

So the blame is not on the owner of the store that sold the kid gun it is not on ebay that handled the transaction of some of the stuff he used. It is the kids fault that he went down that road.

The NRA was no where to be found.

I live just south of the NRA HQ. Look at some of the cars these people drive. When I was there there was not a car under $80,000 sitting in the executive parking lot.

I have been for the last few years thinking of dropping the NRA and going to the GOA and VCDL as my 2a groups. They do more and with less money than the NRA does.

I think the NRA should put together a team of counselors and therapists with a nice Lear jet then if a shooting like columbine or VT happens they can be there to help the survivors in the healing process. I believe the NRA should be doing more out side of DC to help the 2a movement like helping support the state gun rights orgs. That would do more than wearing $5k suits and drinking 100 year old sing malt with the scum of DC.

I don't care who you back but I think you should back a national and a state 2aq group.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am currently an NRA memeber but I have been looking into other options. While I think the NRA plays an important role as the huge power they are, I too believe they are acting politically to maintian their jobs and to continue to collect donatations. I've never paid more in then was required to be a memeber but it never fails that every month I get fliers asking me to renew my membership or donate. They spend more in 2 months on me then I donate for a year and that is simply poor stewardship of mine & other's money.
They may be the biggest voice for the 2A but that doesn't make them the best.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just a small reply... The constitution says that the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed. Restrictions, requirements, and registration are all infringements. I do not believe that even felons should be barred gun possession as long as their crimes were not not weapon related. Same with Misdemeanor Domestic Violence convictions. Why are we not fighting harder for these rights?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #16

Angry Better than nothing

I was appalled at the NRA's actions concerning the passage of Georgia's SB 308. Thankfully, we got something through in spite of them. Their opposition (whether real or alleged) is unworthy of anyone who proclaims to be for the 2nd Amendment.

However, let's not get into circling our wagons and shooting inwards. The NRA may not be 100% "in step" with most of us, but at least they aren't "anti"'s They really are more on our side. It's just that they have gotten so fat and happy sucking at the tit of political power that they keep tripping over their overhanging, virtual gut.

We should put pressure on them to recognize their responsibilities to the people (and not the politicians) that they arose from--the citizens of the United States (and not the government!)

Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It seems to me that the NRA has gotten too big for thier britches, I think when an organization gets that big they get lost in thier own beurocracy, they definitly need to be reminded that ANY battle lost is another wedge for the anti's. They undoubtedly have the most pull in DC and with the big dollars they get from memberships and donations there shouldn't be a state in the union that,at least doesn't have SHALL ISSUE laws. They are failing, IMO, if all law abiding citizens do not have the right to keep and bear arms.
As another member here has for a sig line, What part of shall not be infringed do they not understand?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

After reading things like this and others on forums about what the NRA has been up to, I decided NOT to renew my membership this year.

I believe they want to keep the pot stirred for their own benefit. They want certain anti-gun legislation passed to try and boost membership and raise funds. They are just enough for us, but not really JUST for us.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As much as the NRA has turned into a business, I don't think we should abandon them completely, maybe just a wake up call. Because they ARE still the largest and have the most influence, I feel things would be worse off without them .
Mayhap if we send them a$$-loads of e-mails telling them how we feel about the direction they are heading we could(possibly), guide them back on the right path.
Gun owners of America here I come, maybe tthis group will gain enough supporters to take over the torch as the premiere 2A activists. Only time will tell.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #20

Default common sense

I e-mailed the NRA-ILA and let them know my opinion. And as I told them, I did consider canceling my membership, but since they are [U]mostly[U] on our side, I will continue my membership but suspend any donations to the ILA until they can get their heads on straight (as well as locate that head...).

The key thought is that we still face an enemy with a world of momentum and the NRA is on our side--mostly. (It's sort of like WWII when we allied ourselves with the USSR against a common enemy)