Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Is the NRA our friend?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Is the NRA our friend?

Last night, the GA legislature managed to pass 2 bills that will improve and clarify the laws for weapons carry in the Peach State. I belong to a statewide gun rights group and we had folks at the State Capitol through the wee hours of the morning to help guide these bills through.

Anyway, there is disturbing news coming out that the NRA was actively involved in trying to derail one of these bills last night. The facts are coming out and our folks on scene heard the NRA rep actually bad mouthing the bill to the press. They have done it before and the technique generally involves inserting lots of new language into a bill (via amendment) which forces it to go through the house & senate again. As last night was the end of the legislative session - there was no tomorrow.

Our state group membership (me included) has been hammering the NRA via email and phone calls all day. They deny they were trying to derail the bill and are stating they were supportive. We are also looking for any written and recorded proof of these behind the scenes efforts and I'm sure we'll find them. Two state senators went on record that they "knew" the NRA did not support the bill. The NRA has already called both these folks "in error" for their statements.

I canceled my NRA membership today and will never give them another penny of cash or kind word. I'll keep y'all posted as we try to get more detailed info on the "snakes"...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

NGIB - I am happy the bills went through with the hard work of you good folks.

Personally I have had a problem with the NRA for about the last 8 to 10 years and cancelled my membership back when some news came out that was similiar to this from a good friend who was just outside ground zero.

The NRA as an advocate, is probably necessary as they know where all the snake holes are. If they suddenly went away, it would be much easier for the Anti's to run roughshod over our Rights.

The problem I feel, quite frankly, they have a vested interest in remaining the "voice" of the Pro-Gunners. Let's face it, the NRA brings in a TON of cash and they have a TON of power. That is not something that someone is just going to "give up" because they finally solved the problem.

I feel that the NRA is doing "enough" to remain at the forefront of the fight, without actually engaging. They are doing enough to remain relevant in the eyes of the people who are not uber informed.

I feel they fall into the Necessary Evil category.

JD

Old 04-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I belong to the NRA, GOA and Gun Owners of California. I'm also a member of the Calguns Foundation which fights for gun rights in California.

I am not pleased with the NRA and haven't been for some time. Unfortunately, they're still the 1,000 lb. gorilla in the room and a powerful voice. That's the only reason that I haven't resigned yet. But, they seem to act more and more like politicians rather than advocates.

This is not good. Please keep us updated.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-30-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

So far, from the posts on our local forum, over 100 folks have called & emailed the NRA-ILA expressing their outrage and canceling their memberships. The NRA-ILA is doing some serious back-stepping and trying to convince folks they were actively supporting these bills. About a dozen of the state senators & representatives pushing for these important changes are also members of our state organization and we expect more details from them in the coming days.

Yes, they are an 800 lb gorilla, but they are also "politicians"...

Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

My view is and has been for a while, they are not doing enough, they seem to be keeping their nose right above the tormented waters.

For the power and influence of such a largely supported, recognized, and respected pro firearms and 2A advocates organization, they sure as hell could do more, much more, especially acting as politicians!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #6

A Kaelen Jones from the NRA-ILA has been sending out emails to mad members trying to convince them that "we" are wrong. Upon repeated hammering, she has been asking what are the credible sources that we used to state the NRA was trying to derail the bill. Here's a quote from one of the board members of our state group (who is a prominent lawyer in the Atlanta area) that was at the state capitol all day yesterday and into the wee hours of today:

Quote:
Do they consider Sen Mitch Seabaugh a credible source? He confirmed from the well of the Senate floor that the NRA opposed SB 308. Do they consider Georgia Public Broadcasting a credible source? They published this morning that the NRA opposed SB 308.

If she wants a specific concern to address, would she like to address the fact that the NRA lobbyist, Raymon White, told legislators that if SB 308 did not have airport carry language in it, they had to vote against it, and that it is a "scorecard issue," meaning the NRA will give them a negative rating if they don't vote as the NRA requires? Would she like to address how that behavior fits her definition of supporting the bill?
Our group knew that there were specific issues that would draw a veto from the Governor - and airport carry was one of them...

Old 05-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #7

For what it is worth I know a few people that actually work at the HQ for the NRA. I have addressed the disconnect that often seems to stem from the nuts that are the policy types there. They infact piss off the true second amendment folks there as well. Even some of the board members I spoke to are not happy with some of the dealings but the NRA board is about powerless to Wayne. If he would go away things could change. Until that happens do not expect much. I am a Life member and will stay one till Wayne leaves and Ted takes over.

Molon Labe.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There it is... Uncle Ted running the NRA. No holds barred!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
A Kaelen Jones from the NRA-ILA has been sending out emails to mad members trying to convince them that "we" are wrong. Upon repeated hammering, she has been asking what are the credible sources that we used to state the NRA was trying to derail the bill. Here's a quote from one of the board members of our state group (who is a prominent lawyer in the Atlanta area) that was at the state capitol all day yesterday and into the wee hours of today:

Our group knew that there were specific issues that would draw a veto from the Governor - and airport carry was one of them...
I could be wrong here (it wouldn't be the first time), but it would seem to me that if it was no secret that airport carry would be an automatic veto, and the NRA rep was pushing for airport carry, that in fact the rep wanted the bill vetoed so it could be held up for everyone to see that yet another pro-gun bill was shot down by the politicians. It would be one more point for the NRA to use to stir the pot and make more people mad thereby getting more money sent to the NRA to "defend" our 2A rights. That says to me that the progress you made with those bills was less important to the NRA than the publicity that they could stir up making a big deal out of the bill's veto.

I too have been disappointed by some of the actions of the NRA as of late and think there is more political grandstanding than actual support of our rights.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #10

My Biggest problem with the NRA is Compromise. I do not believe that when you are right and have the power you should give into your enemies. The Anti's will never stop. They will take what they can get until there is nothing left to take. To give them any ground ever is Wrong. If Wayne was the coach of a football team he would declare victory because he did not lose ground on a play. ignoring that he never scored! Ignoring the fact that the anti's are already on the board.

Molon Labe.