NRA or the GOA - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > NRA or the GOA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 03:54 AM   #81
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if a person isn't contributing to some sort of association whose primary objective is to defend our gun rights, they have no reason to bitch and moan when they lose theirs.

if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #82
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 833 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 4414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
if a person isn't contributing to some sort of association whose primary objective is to defend our gun rights, they have no reason to bitch and moan when they lose theirs.

if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
What about those that feels it's better (or, more needed) to support pro-gun associations at the local level, as opposed to the national level?

Not everyone can support both.

As a resident of this crap hole, I mean State, it's in my best interest to be concerned with the local groups, as many of the national groups don't bother with us (yet, they do involve themselves in other states).

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6530 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
What about those that feels it's better (or, more needed) to support pro-gun associations at the local level, as opposed to the national level?

Not everyone can support both.

As a resident of this crap hole, I mean State, it's in my best interest to be concerned with the local groups, as many of the national groups don't bother with us (yet, they do involve themselves in other states).
Mason, it's possible the national groups have realized they can't win in places like Ma., NY and Ca., so they're expending their resources in places where we have a chance of winning, and at the federal level. Not a good philosophical strategy, but probably a good practical strategy.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Mason, it's possible the national groups have realized they can't win in places like Ma., NY and Ca., so they're expending their resources in places where we have a chance of winning, and at the federal level. Not a good philosophical strategy, but probably a good practical strategy.

When my guard unit came back from Iraq in 2007, a handful had issues getting their LTCs renewed - for no legitimate reason, the stated reason was the Chief's "discretionary authority" - which actually does not allow them to deny a renewal because they feel like it.

The only real recourse is to sue the Chief. That cost them tens of thousands of dollars.

As a Battalion, we petitioned the State Legislature as well as the Governor to change part of the wording of the Mass General Laws, specifically the vagueness of the "discretionary authority". We were basically told "no".

So, many of us that were NRA members sent letters to Wayne, to the head of the ILA, and a few others in the NRA - all asking for advice. Not money, not legal representation, ADVICE. We were ignored.

Not "sorry, we can't help" or "we need more information". Flat out ignored. This was followed with even more letters being sent to them, phone calls not being returned.

So, take from that what you will. But ignoring roughly 278 Of your members, who also happen to be combat vets - not a good practical strategy.

But, yes, they actually could win in MA, if they actually tried.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1007 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
Allowing anyone to carry arms into Public Schools is also not rational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
The Bill Of Rights is a wonderful document it covers most our disagreements.
Read this out loud for me please

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

please explain why nobody should be allowed to carry into a criminal empowerment zone?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2623 Times on 1829 Posts
Likes Given: 1340

Capt can speak for himself, I only want to tell you, the school policy is not infringement.

A school building is not a free-for-all public access area. It is restricted access, by definition. You have the RTKBA, nobody is taking your gun, they just don't want your gun in the building. You have your freedom of speech as well, but if you enter the building with a politically charged poster, they will ask you to leave. You can keep and bear your poster, just not on their property.

In the military, in any business, you agree to limit your behavior within their narrow standards. If you want to do everything the Constitution permits, to the fullest, you are out.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Capt can speak for himself, I only want to tell you, the school policy is not infringement.

A school building is not a free-for-all public access area. It is restricted access, by definition. You have the RTKBA, nobody is taking your gun, they just don't want your gun in the building. You have your freedom of speech as well, but if you enter the building with a politically charged poster, they will ask you to leave. You can keep and bear your poster, just not on their property.

In the military, in any business, you agree to limit your behavior within their narrow standards. If you want to do everything the Constitution permits, to the fullest, you are out.
The situation he described has him dropping off HIS children to school.

Most schools allow access (however limited) to parents of students, therefore, he wouldn't be restricted. Also, when dropping off your kids, you're generally either on the street in front of (or close to) the school, or in a parking lot. The only restricted access there is for parking...

Legal definition:

Infringement: The encroachment, breach, or violation of a right, law, regulation, or contract.

So, legally speaking, yes - the school would be infringing on his 1st and 2nd Amendment rights...

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1007 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post

In MI, schools can not set their own policy contrary to state law. It is by definition a public area, and i can carry into a school.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2066 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

"ALL good relationships are based on trust, and all bad relationship are based on the lack of trust"!
If ANY government building/property does not allow armed citizens they are saying WE DO NOT TRUST YOU loud and clear!!! So how can we trust those who make these policies/decisions?????????
I would agree there is a limited right of private property owners to limit people who are armed, even though it shows their prejudice and ignorance.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 08-27-2014 at 04:07 PM.
St8LineGunsmith Likes This 
Old 09-15-2014, 01:03 AM   #90

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A note about how NRA operates :
The NRA "Banned Guns Raffle" ostensibly requires no contribution to enter . I decided to see what would happen if I entered without contributing . I filled out the online form as instructed but when I hit " submit ", I was told I must choose a method of payment . To get the form accepted, I chose Visa and was directed to either cough up money or click a link for "alternative entry method" . I clicked and found I must print out a form and fill it out and snail mail it if I don't want to cough up money .
As a practical matter, therefore, a contribution is required .
What a pity ! I really need more guns .

BTW : NRA is back in the cancer insurance business . They get a rake-off for every dupe who buys the overpriced policies .

Last edited by Rentacop; 09-15-2014 at 01:07 AM.