NRA or the GOA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > NRA or the GOA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default NRA or the GOA

I am sure this question has been asked a million times but after an admittedly brief search without finding anything recent, I thought I would ask the question again. I just recently signed up for a year long membership to the 2nd amendment foundation and I am trying to decide between the GOA or the NRA.

I was a former member of the NRA that was turned off by their incessant solicitations, however, some of the moves they have made recently with the commentators and such, have warmed me up towards them. I have also heard good/bad things about the GOA, the bad being that all they do is ask for money and bash the NRA.

So, picking only one of the two for now, which one should it be?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 942

BOTH!!! We need to join ALL the pro 2nd A organizations we can even if we do not completely agree with everything they do.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 558

I am looking for an alternative to the NRA myself. I like the GOA's no compromises attitude but when it comes to actually getting something done the GOA fails miserably. I cannot find a single piece of legislation that pressure or connections from the GOA had any effect on it's passing or defeat. I cannot find a single court battle that was won by attorney's paid for by the GOA.

All I see GOA doing is funneling money to ineffective Tea party candidates. The Tea party has a lot of growing up to do before I am going to trust them with my second amendment rights. The Tea party has to start writing legislation that actually becomes law and stop fighting battles with no end game strategy before I can trust them to defend my rights.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 08-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 754 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
BOTH!!! We need to join ALL the pro 2nd A organizations we can even if we do not completely agree with everything they do.
This is the correct answer. I will add, that your State most likely has Local organizations that work with State legislators, sign up for them as well.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

2nd Amendment Foundation has been doing all of the big legal work for the last few years.

I would love nothing more than to drop my NRA membership, but literally forced into with their club coordination.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
This is the correct answer. I will add, that your State most likely has Local organizations that work with State legislators, sign up for them as well.
I am also looking at NAGR ( National Association of Gun Rights). I also am feeling the dilema of weaker defense of my rights(NRA), and ineffective defense of them ( the others). However when the media allows another 2A voice to be heard I find GOA right there I think I've heard Gottlieb(sp) as long as I've heard Pelletier.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 08-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #7

Liked 48 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
I understand that, but my counter is that there are plenty of organizations out that aren't going to do a whole lot with my donation. I just joined that SAF because I took a look at their track record and I liked it. I am not inclined to give money to an organization that doesn't use the funds very well. For example I have read that NRA memberships do not pay for lobbying for more gun rights...a big minus in my book if that is true. I have also haven't found any piece of legislation, or cases, won by the GOA.

So perhaps I should rephrase the question, should I join either the NRA, GOA or donate more money to the SAF in lieu of doing either?

Old 08-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2000k View Post
I understand that, but my counter is that there are plenty of organizations out that aren't going to do a whole lot with my donation. I just joined that SAF because I took a look at their track record and I liked it. I am not inclined to give money to an organization that doesn't use the funds very well. For example I have read that NRA memberships do not pay for lobbying for more gun rights...a big minus in my book if that is true. I have also haven't found any piece of legislation, or cases, won by the GOA.

So perhaps I should rephrase the question, should I join either the NRA, GOA or donate more money to the SAF in lieu of doing either?
NRA has a legislative impact that GOA doesn't have.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #9

Liked 1021 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
The Buckeye Firearms Assoc. Does alot of good here in ohio. I,m a member. The junk mail from the NRA gets old fast, especially when you have more than one member at your house.... But it's all about the $$$...and what organization has the most influence in DC, and with legislators (again-$$$$) The NRA has the muscle....without them..Bloomberg's billions would just steamroll right over us...

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

People Like This 
Old 08-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5740 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

Ask any politician who they are afraid of and they will tell you NRA!

GOA, GOAL, CCKBA, SAF etc all have their heart in the right place, no doubt. But most of the politicians in Washington have never heard of them.

But IMHO, they hurt our cause more than help by siphoning off resources from the only truly effective voice we have, the NRA.

Winston Churchill
People Like This