NRA or another grass roots organization to carry the banner? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

NRA or another grass roots organization to carry the banner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If you want to succeed politically and uphold the Constitution, you have to "play politics." It isn't "play." it's deadly serious. Some compromises have to be made and I do not always agree with the NRA's stand on certain issues. But...they are in the forefront of keeping the 2nd on the front burner. I will continue to pay dues, with reservations.

And, BTW, the 10/22 argument is fatuous. I've fired an American 180, a .22 cal sub-machine gun from the 70's. There's something like it out now. It throws a veritable ****storm of little bullets. But given the choice, in a confrontational situation with a felon or a government run amok, I'd rather have three-round burst capability on an M4 or AK 47. Three is better than one.

The ban on automatic weapons is derived from the Roaring 20's. The bad guys were blasting cops and anyone could buy a Thompson at their local hardware store in those days, if they had the money. The politicians ban, or I should say, severely restrict the private ownership of fully automatic weapons out fear that they may be used against them someday, or their minions, at least. That is a viable concern. One day, we may just get enough of the sellouts in Washington and in the mayor's offices and pick up weapons to fully rectify the situation.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #22

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhat View Post
Well, I'm 'back'... from surgery. I haven't felt much like posting (a catheter goes directly to your brain. Did you know that?) The original post boiled down to its bare essence is, "Do you think that the NRA has lost site of its mission by playing politics and do you think that others have a negative effect with their, 'take no prisoners', approach". Perhaps it wasn't well phrased but I am surprised that it started so much discussion. I guess we can add 'guns' to religion and politics.
Ironhat, welcome back. I'm sorry to hear you had to have surgery, been-there-done-that. My wishes for a speedy recovery.

Oh contraire, this is the very place to discuss guns, one of the better places in fact. Feel free to blast away, pun intended.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 12-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #23

This is off the topic and back to the argument, but there is such a divide between gun owners, you got those that believe only single shot hunting guns should be owned, others bolts pumps but no autos, some just hunting firearms, some "sport utility firearms", some no handguns, you see whee this is going, and then there are those that feel whatever you can afford you can own. The antis want them gone pure plain and simple, and they are pretty much united. Gunowners need to quit the internal argument and stand together.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 12-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #24

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey View Post
" nobody has ever been able to give me a reason why I need to have the right to buy a machine gun."

If thats the case, then do you have the right to buy any other type of gun?
Shall not be infringed means exactly what it sounds like.
One of the things the framers of our Constitution wanted to save us from was not only bad people but the government themselves. So do you believe that allowing your government to curtail your ability to protect themselves from enemies both foreign and domestic?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
... and then there are those that feel whatever you can afford you can own. ...
Speaking of this, Aircraft carrier for sale, just click the button "Add to Cart"

Edit: just to clarify, I am not the seller.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
This is off the topic and back to the argument, but there is such a divide between gun owners, you got those that believe only single shot hunting guns should be owned, others bolts pumps but no autos, some just hunting firearms, some "sport utility firearms", some no handguns, you see whee this is going, and then there are those that feel whatever you can afford you can own. The antis want them gone pure plain and simple, and they are pretty much united. Gunowners need to quit the internal argument and stand together.

Absolutely correct. There are those out here who wish to disarm all gun owners. Dissension among the ranks only strengthens the anti's position.

The government is NOT your friend. They are slowly and inexorably destroying our civil rights with things such as the patriot act and other ill-considered legislation, as well as the ridiculous new TSA screening procedures. (The Israelis, the best in the world at pre-boarding screening, have no need of full body scanners. As a retired international air line pilot, I can personally attest to that).

Point being as someone once said, "If we don't hang together, we shall most assuredly hang separately." Anyone who contests this basic truth is delusional, at best.