November 6: A historic opportunity for Louisiana voters to protect their gun rights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > November 6: A historic opportunity for Louisiana voters to protect their gun rights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default November 6: A historic opportunity for Louisiana voters to protect their gun rights

Op-Ed on the proposed Right to Keep and Bear Arms Amendment:

http://www.felicianatoday.com/?p=5825

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Here's what I want to know...
Right now it's legal to open carry a handgun at the age of 17 and up in Louisiana (yes, that's not even old enough to buy a Red Ryder at Walmart), and I take advantage of this, because I'm a recent transplant who can't yet afford to PAY MONEY to exercise my INFRINGED right to keep and bear (concealed class and permitting costs $130ish to $200, depending on who you go to for the class).

Now, with this new amendment, would I be able to exercise my very own, individual, highly personal, right to keep and bear as I see fit? Meaning concealed without a permit or class?

For one, I wholeheartedly believe that having to PAY is an infringement (as evidenced by the fact that I currently CAN'T, therefore, my rights are financially out of reach due to legislation, therefore, my rights are infringed), so that really irks me. Also, having been an enlisted Marine grunt, and as avid a shooter as I can afford to be, I'm pretty sure I can handle a firearm better than probably 90% of these "instructors" can, much less teach others.

I'll be voting aye, but this is a question I would like to know the answer to.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5692 Times on 3217 Posts
Likes Given: 5085

Trip, as you grow older, you will come to realize that success in politics is measured by tiny bites, not by big gulps.

No one is going to get everything they want out of one bill or law. The key to success is to support anything that makes things a litttle better, and when you get that passed, start working to get a litttle more.

If there's one lesson we should learn from the anti gun crowd, it's patience. They know they can't pass an amendment to repeal the 2nd amendment. So they nibble at our rights, one little bite at a time.
Short barrel handguns, .50 cal rifles, so-called "assault weapons," gun shows, etc.

If we want to get back the rights we've lost, we need to have patience, and take every little bite we can get, and eventually, all of these little "pennies" will add up to that dollar we're working for.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

Truer words have not been spoken!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Trip, as you grow older, you will come to realize that success in politics is measured by tiny bites, not by big gulps.

No one is going to get everything they want out of one bill or law. The key to success is to support anything that makes things a litttle better, and when you get that passed, start working to get a litttle more.

If there's one lesson we should learn from the anti gun crowd, it's patience. They know they can't pass an amendment to repeal the 2nd amendment. So they nibble at our rights, one little bite at a time.
Short barrel handguns, .50 cal rifles, so-called "assault weapons," gun shows, etc.

If we want to get back the rights we've lost, we need to have patience, and take every little bite we can get, and eventually, all of these little "pennies" will add up to that dollar we're working for.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #5

I understand that, but it still bears an answer, don't ya think? I've read the language of it several times over the past few months, but I simply can't figure out exactly what it gives, and what it leaves still restricted.

I'm thinking there's a possibility it could actually take away OC by those under 21... Depending on how the so called leaders want to interpret and strictly scrutinize things.

My overall question is, "What does this mean? How does it benefit us? How can/will it be misconstrued to further restrict our rights?"

The question about concealed carry was just a targeted specific I would like to know.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #6

And what will it do to repeal the restrictions already placed upon us? The US constitution already grants each and every one of us the right to keep and bear arms, and we see how that's gone so far...

Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

What I want to know is why our law makers cannot write the laws so that everyone can understand them at first glance? Why must they be written in only a language that lawyers understand? Is this some form of job security?

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5692 Times on 3217 Posts
Likes Given: 5085

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
What I want to know is why our law makers cannot write the laws so that everyone can understand them at first glance? Why must they be written in only a language that lawyers understand? Is this some form of job security?
No one can twist, torture, and torment the Engish language like a lawyer.
Lawmakers must use extremely concise legalese, and even then, some lawyer will figure out a way to make it mean something opposite to the original intent.

Winston Churchill
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So they cannot say what they mean and mean what they say, huh?

Now I know why I joined the Army. At least while I was in uniform, we all spoke the same language and it was easily understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
No one can twist, torture, and torment the Engish language like a lawyer.
Lawmakers must use extremely concise legalese, and even then, some lawyer will figure out a way to make it mean something opposite to the original intent.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Here's what I want to know...
Right now it's legal to open carry a handgun at the age of 17 and up in Louisiana (yes, that's not even old enough to buy a Red Ryder at Walmart), and I take advantage of this, because I'm a recent transplant who can't yet afford to PAY MONEY to exercise my INFRINGED right to keep and bear (concealed class and permitting costs $130ish to $200, depending on who you go to for the class).

Now, with this new amendment, would I be able to exercise my very own, individual, highly personal, right to keep and bear as I see fit? Meaning concealed without a permit or class?

For one, I wholeheartedly believe that having to PAY is an infringement (as evidenced by the fact that I currently CAN'T, therefore, my rights are financially out of reach due to legislation, therefore, my rights are infringed), so that really irks me. Also, having been an enlisted Marine grunt, and as avid a shooter as I can afford to be, I'm pretty sure I can handle a firearm better than probably 90% of these "instructors" can, much less teach others.

I'll be voting aye, but this is a question I would like to know the answer to.
Let me try to answer your questions. If you would like more information, feel free to call me at 703-282-5296.

With respect to carry,

Under the current amendment, the legislature could ban your ability to carry concealed all together. Also, there are no laws in Louisiana prohibiting open carry (there are laws prohibiting places you can carry a firearm open or concealed).

That being said, at a minimum, the proposed amendment would prevent a future legislature from banning the carry of a firearm -- including concealed. Further, if the carry statute were challenged, under the current amendment all of the restrictions or subjective qualification criteria would remain. Under the proposed amendment, it would very likely strike "subjective" qualification criteria -- meaning, while it may not overturn the entire statute, it would make it easier for law-abiding Louisianans to exercise their rights. Also, with respects to localities prohibiting carry in public places or certain places already banned, the new amendment, if someone challenged the bans, would likely overturn the rights-infringing bans.