Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   not sure about this guy/gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/not-sure-about-guy-gun-95310/)

jjones45 08-12-2013 02:22 PM

not sure about this guy/gun
 
Say someone wants to sell you a used gun, private sell. Your just not quite sure about this guy as you don't know him all that well but gun has the box and all the goodies. My question is, is there a way to find out if a firearm is stolen by checking with its serial number, or do you have to be law enforcement to do so? This kind of thing could happen at gun shows as well.

kaido 08-12-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones45
Say someone wants to sell you a used gun, private sell. Your just not quite sure about this guy as you don't know him all that well but gun has the box and all the goodies. My question is, is there a way to find out if a firearm is stolen by checking with its serial number, or do you have to be law enforcement to do so? This kind of thing could happen at gun shows as well.

There's apparently some websites that have a SN database with stolen/missing guns added by the owners....but that's if they added the gun. I'm sure if you called your local PD, they'd be more then happy to run it for you.

squirrelhunter 08-12-2013 04:29 PM

I've had out local PD run a couple for me.They were glad to do it.

trip286 08-12-2013 04:54 PM

Everytime I hear of someone having that "gut feeling", and it involves the private purchase/sale of a gun, I always say the same thing: walk away.

I don't care what the situation is. I don't care what the gun is, or the price. Walk the **** away. Dealing in guns is just too much of a risk if the worst should be the case.

Jagermeister 08-12-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1333502)
Everytime I hear of someone having that "gut feeling", and it involves the private purchase/sale of a gun, I always say the same thing: walk away.

I don't care what the situation is. I don't care what the gun is, or the price. Walk the **** away. Dealing in guns is just too much of a risk if the worst should be the case.

Good advice there. ;)

c3shooter 08-12-2013 05:42 PM

If the gut says no, it's time to go.


The only way to see if the gun has been reported stolen would be to check the NCIC database. Unfortunately, as a law abiding citizen, you can't.

A law enforcement officer CAN- but he will need to have gun in hand. If it comes up stolen, he needs to be able to return it to the lawful owner.

TekGreg 08-12-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1333502)
Everytime I hear of someone having that "gut feeling", and it involves the private purchase/sale of a gun, I always say the same thing: walk away.

I don't care what the situation is. I don't care what the gun is, or the price. Walk the **** away. Dealing in guns is just too much of a risk if the worst should be the case.

This is GREAT advice. Too many of us don't listen to the inner voice, sixth sense or whatever you call that feeling that tries to warn you of danger. If it feels wrong, just don't do it.

I always ask for gun serial number and copy of Driver's License and CCW (if available) BEFORE we meet. Anyone balking at this for transfer of a firearm raises my hackles. If they provide it with no grousing, I tend to believe they have nothing to hide. If they grouse, I take it to our local Police Dept. if they run it and find something fishy, I let them ride along to our meeting. Only happened once and they got everything straightened out, but either way, my money and reputation was safe!

gr8oldguy 08-12-2013 06:20 PM

You're getting some excellent advice from the posters above. There is a reason you feel uncomfortable with the seller of this firearm. That should be enough to convince you to walk away. good luck

duddie10 08-12-2013 06:39 PM

Even before all the bs laws in ct all my private sales where thru a lgs with an ffl. Never had a problem. Had a few guys not want to do it that way and i told them hit the road.

spottedpony 08-12-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekGreg (Post 1333577)
This is GREAT advice. Too many of us don't listen to the inner voice, sixth sense or whatever you call that feeling that tries to warn you of danger. If it feels wrong, just don't do it.

I always ask for gun serial number and copy of Driver's License and CCW (if available) BEFORE we meet. Anyone balking at this for transfer of a firearm raises my hackles. If they provide it with no grousing, I tend to believe they have nothing to hide. If they grouse, I take it to our local Police Dept. if they run it and find something fishy, I let them ride along to our meeting. Only happened once and they got everything straightened out, but either way, my money and reputation was safe!

I'd have no issue providing that requested information on a bill of sale, however no way would i provide that prior to face to face, simply under the premise I dont know you or your intent. Add to that, from either side, ID, DL number or any other information can easily be false when given over the phone. Furthermore if prior to or during the face to face, (always in a public place) led me to believe anything was hinky, it'd be a no deal, regardless if i was buying or selling. I'd also make note of a vehicle discription and plate number and any other pertenant information.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.