Nosy Neighbors - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Nosy Neighbors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
Ownership of a firearm is not a right; it is a responsibility.
Really? I have a copy of a piece of parchment written many years ago that says otherwise...

I do understand what you are trying to say. We all need to be safe with our guns and also responsible to and for our rights.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #12

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I regularly fish a certain pond on my uncles 400 acres. Just so happens this one is about 150 yards from a road, and a neighbor.

I always have a 22 pistol due to snakes and turtles. One summer afternoon, I had just gotten done dispatching a snake for the wife , when I hear this guy hollering "cut that **** out". I ignore him and continue, shooting a turtle 15 minutes later. I hear" hey, I said to cut that **** out or I'm going to do something about it."

I piped off " if you don't like it.. move back to the city. If you want, ill call the sheriff for you, and if you threaten me again, ill call you an ambulance "

Have not heard a thing out of him in the last 4 years
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Suppressors.
It's getting to the point everyone needs suppressors for the common calibers.
.223, x.39, x.54, 7.62, 9mm, .45.

I heard one state is trying to legalize hunting with suppression. I am all for it, they never should have been classified an NFA to begin with. These older gun laws from the 30's should be treated as old blue laws & challenged.

Suppressors were classified NFA during the Great Depression because people were "night hunting".

Old 01-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #14

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Suppressors are legal for hunting in Kansas.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
I read up some more on it and its a legit range , what the liberal media does not mention are the redneck neighbors who shoot , not at the range , the hunting that goes on there and some other interesting facts .

On a side note : What happens when say , it is legal for you to shoot on your property , it is safe , ect ect . But the neighbors dont like it so they start a petition up against you . What happens after the majority signs it ? Time to call the NRA ? The old hag that lives a few house up from me has started one twice now , from what I understand no one signed it but say they did ?
There is a semi-rural area near me where the neighbors petitioned for a no-shooting zone. They got enough signatures to put it to a vote and it passed. This was 30 some years ago. It can happen.

On the other hand the range I go to is constantly under fire from neighbors. The range was built in 1953 and predates all but a handful of the nearby residences. They are trying to build a new clubhouse so that has raised the level of opposition but it there is also a lot of support. The Internet has made the support easier because the petitions go out on email lists where the people starting the petitions have no idea what kind of support the will get. Several weeks ago one of the biggest range opponents sent out a mass emailing to a community Yahoo group that was full of inaccuracies and outright lies. The amount of blowback on him really surprised him. It did not dampen his opposition but it did get a bunch of supporters to go to the County public review meeting and voice their support. Not sure where it went from there though.

I would suggest that you preemptively start a Yahoo group or something that supports your efforts and also try to find out if the neighbor has started a similar opposition effort. You can join her group surreptitiously and monitor the effort. Also I would recommend starting up a community group not dedicated to anything in particular such as we have in my rural community. If you are interested in this I can provide more information on it, a good friend started and maintains several of these groups in my community (one is just a community group, one is dedicated to native plants, one is for the community Association, that sort of stuff.)

It would take some effort on your part but to have something up and running before her petition effort gets any legs can only serve to help your cause. ou have to start before she gets any momentum.

We can continue the discussion here or you can PM me for more info. Up to the OP.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
The old hag that lives a few house up from me has started one twice now , from what I understand no one signed it but say they did ?
Ask her if she would prefer you farm chickens; maybe she needs to smell crap and get a early wake-up call every morning.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #17

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

With co-operation from the local sheriff's dept we had some neighbors complaining so we had two large shoots ( my range is in a large hole in my gravel pit with 35' to 50' walls on all sides )

Both shoots were held on Saturday afternoons and the 911 dispatch was told in advance so they could be aware if complaints came in.

The first Saturday afternoon it was about +56F so most windows were probably closed. The second Saturday it was +71F so many windows could have been open. No calls to 911 either day.

Went around to the neighbors who complain a lot and the deupty stated the shoots had been held on both Fridays and Sundays. One neighbor stated he never heard anything on Friday or Sunday but did hear on Saturday afternoon but it did not bother him or his family. Two other families went off the deep end stating that bullets had come over their heads and the noise was unbearable - - - I then said “O I’m sorry he miss spoke the events were on Saturday” - - - they did not believe me but it was on record that they lied!

I then purchased a decibel meter and with the local fire department one member of the fire department would fire a string of shots then used his cell phone to call another member stationed at the property of the complaining people. The people could not tell we were shooting and the meters did not register any noise above the normal ambient back ground. All of this is in writing!

Then another person complained that “my range” had shot his house! The sheriff’s dept investigated and he has a barn that sits between his house and my property - - - Yes his house had a 9MM bullet in it but it had to have been fired from inside his barn! I feel he either had an accidental discharge and wanted to force me into paying for his damages or he did it intentionally trying to get me to stop having events!

People will lie, cheat , do anything to aggravate anybody not in their “click”

Old 01-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
hmh

Liked 187 Times on 128 Posts

Thank God I live in the boonies. I have several neighbors to either side they all know if I am shooting to late let me know. After around 8 I usually switch to .22 not always. The only time I ever had a neighbor show up it was 1am and I was burning a dozer pile that unknown to me had a propane tank in it. I shook one brick house .5 mi away. Had two come out just to see if they need to call an ambulance. After I cleaned myself up I apologized and thanked them for there concern. I was the talk of the town at church that Sunday. If it is a nice day and you are outside and do not hear gunfire you start to wonder if everyone is ok.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

This did remind me of the last time i was over at this one buddy's house & we went out back (VERY rural) to shoot some paper with the revolver. After about twenty minutes, his future paw-in-law came across the road to show us his M1carbine and try out the revolver. The house dog, however, complained loudly and in liquid.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #20

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Y'all may not like this, but I've called the cops on a shooter, and I'll tell you why.

First, my childhood home is out in the boonies. Downsouth and Orangello may be familiar with "hernando point", it's rural to say the least. As a kid, the nearest house was maybe 300 yards away. Our house was right next to our property line, and someone bought the land next to our's, and built a house just on the other side of the line, maybe 75 feet away from our house. They were good neighbors, no problems.

Fast forward almost 20 years. The original neighbors moved out, new ones moved in, teens drinking and partying all hours night and day, break ins begin happening. The boy's dad (the homeowner) was a cop, ergo, nothing was done about the insanity, which also led to my declining respect for the local PD. Then the boy's dad (he is an only child) kills himself by accident (or darwinism). Decided to prove to his sister that his gun was unloaded by putting in his mouth and pulling the trigger. Didn't work out the way he planned (treat every gun as if it were loaded).

When his son turned 18, he began collecting and shooting, using his dad's insurance money, no big deal to me, I wasn't living there at the time.

Later, I moved back in, renting the place from my dad. I had no problem with the occasional weekend shooting, a couple of hours in the afternoon, friday, saturday, and sunday. Even occasional weekday shooting was no biggie.

Then the break ins began happening again, and the wild parties. Violence started braking out, with the occasional car getting shot up while fleeing the property. I started calling the cops almost everyday. I tried to get along and stay out of their business, but keep in mind, thus was less than 100 feet from my home.

The final straw was when I woke up at 6AM to gunfire (by the way, his "range" was in his backyard, right off the porch). I put up with it all day, trying to do what I could to deal with it, which wasn't much beyond shutting the windows. I later went over, walking around the property line on the street and down his driveway. I asked him to knock it off (politely, wording was something along the lines of "you've been shooting all day, me and my family are trying to watch a movie, can we get some quiet?) At about 7 in the evening. He told me if he heard another word out of my mouth he'd "take care of" me, while vaguely pointing his gun in my general direction.

I hightailed it back to my house, called the cops, pressed charges, testified in court, and as far as I know he's still chilling somewhere nice and cozy. That happened around 3 years ago.

It didn't help his case any that he had been seeing a psychiatrist since his dad died, and his evaluations weren't very flattering.