Nosy Neighbors
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Nosy Neighbors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1184 Times on 850 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Default Nosy Neighbors

Quote:
FUQUAY-VARINA, N.C. — Harnett County Sheriff Larry Rollins met with more than 100 community members Tuesday who are fired up with concerns about a farm and shooting range in the area.

Drake Landing is a family-owned farm in Fuquay-Varina that neighbors say brings noise and gunfire too close to home. The shooting range, which is about three-quarters of a mile from the road, falls under the umbrella of "agritourism," which means it's exempt from county zoning laws.

In the past year, Rollins said his office has handled five cases of stray bullets hitting homes or cars in the area surrounding the shooting range. It was determined later, however, that one of those bullets did not come from Drake Landing.

Investigators are still looking into the other four cases of bullets found, Rollins said, but unless they can prove the shootings weren't accidental, this hands are tied. If residents decided to file a lawsuit, they could take up the issue in civil court.
Still, neighbors say they want the sheriff's office to do more to keep their community safe.

"I just don't like that they are waiting for somebody to get hurt before they do anything about it," said Jesse Adam.

In 2010, the range sparked controversy when it planned a three-day semi-automatic weapons course over Memorial Day weekend. Organizers wound up moving that event to another location, in part because of public outcry.

Rollins urged neighbors not to jump to conclusions about where stray bullets might be coming from and some people spoke out in defense of Drake Landing.

"I've lived less than a mile from there for 10 years and have never felt unsafe," said Ben Elam. "I've never been bothered by any noise there."

County Commissioner Dan Andrews owns Drake Landing. He attended Tuesday's meeting, but declined to comment.
I kinda have the same issue . One old hag in particular who claims she found an Illegal bullet in her tree . Mind you I live in a small neighborhood , in the culdesac , with a swamp and 1,000 acres behind me with NO houses and a heavily wooded hill side on the far side of the swamp . If I fire more than one mag out of anything she gets riled up and starts this petition BS going around and in general just starts a big stink , she wont call me , she calls my dad and crys to him . Bitch Im a grown man , you dont call my dad and worry him with stupid stuff like this , where is your petition so I can sign it for you ? The sheriff has only been out once and told us he could not make us stop but asked we tune it down a bit . Granted 2lbs of tannerite and 1/2 dozen aks and ars may disturb a nice afternoon but I quite enjoy hearing random gunfire and explosions off in the distance while doing yard work .
People just cant seem to mind their own affairs and leave others they hell alone .

As to the story , if they are having strays hit homes and cars then YES somthing needs to change or keep your shooters inline and make sure they know their target and whats beyond . If its not their stray rounds then leave them the hell alone .
To me , uptight liberal , anitgun neighbors are more of a immediate threat than any politician . I have not seen the NRA represent a gun owner who wants to shoot on his own property with getting hounded .

END OF RANT

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

As long as you're outside of the city limits (which you are) nobody can say boo to you. Maybe a disturbing the peace thing but I doubt they'll lock you up and throw away the key for that. We had a similar problem at our private range, neighbor complaining, cops called, blah blah...Nevemind the fact there is a public range 2 miles away, she gets chippy with us...some people's kids...We decided, in part thanks to an erratic work schedule, to shoot during business hours when she's not home. Problem solved...I hear gunfire at my house ALL THE TIME and frankly...I love it. My neighbors are shooters too, I like to sit on the back porch and see if I can identify the type of weapon by it's sound, so far I'm batting .000!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Get one of those australian aborigine bull-roarers and practice your freedom of "speech" everytime she is out poking her nose in your business.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

DFlynt Likes This 
Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

Liked 2672 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 2577

I've run into this when I was hunting groundhogs. The deputy shows up asks me if I got any. Then we drive to the land owners house to make sure I have permission. He didn't even take away my pistol while we were in the car. Land owner says I have permission. On the way back I asked the deputy if he wanted to tell the old lady it was ok for me to be hunting there and he said no it wasn't her land let her stew. I had to chuckle over that. We have some good sheriffs deputies here.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8669 Times on 5011 Posts
Likes Given: 11254

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
As long as you're outside of the city limits (which you are) nobody can say boo to you. Maybe a disturbing the peace thing but I doubt they'll lock you up and throw away the key for that. We had a similar problem at our private range, neighbor complaining, cops called, blah blah...Nevemind the fact there is a public range 2 miles away, she gets chippy with us...some people's kids...We decided, in part thanks to an erratic work schedule, to shoot during business hours when she's not home. Problem solved...I hear gunfire at my house ALL THE TIME and frankly...I love it. My neighbors are shooters too, I like to sit on the back porch and see if I can identify the type of weapon by it's sound, so far I'm batting .000!
That's probably the best solution if its possible. I do 90% of my shooting during working hours. Never in the morning on weekends the other 12%.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #6

Liked 288 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Wouldn't surprise me if some anti range person(s) didn't flip some bullets into cars/buildings to make it look like they came from the range.

Probably figures the resulting legal mess will make the range folks go broke.

Maybe based purely on less than accurate info (no pun intended).

Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #7

Do they have a right to shoot guns on their property? Yes. However, that right only extends as far as their property goes: as soon as they are hitting property or (hopefully never) persons, they've crossed the line. I'm sorry, but it's not that hard to make sure that your "gun range" (of which they probably don't really have one) is safe.

If the people were just complaining about the noise, I'd say "whatever, suck it up, you're in a rural area."

But this is a case of stupidity. If there have already been four reported accidents (confirmed bullets from the range) there are probably about double that of unreported accidents, and someone is going to die. If they can't do it safely, they have no business doing it at all

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

There are two ways of looking at this. The first is by the letter of the law and the farm owner may be 100% OK there. The second is in discussing your plans with neighbors and listening to their concerns before you do anything. This probably could have been handled better by the farm owners.

That said, I think those who are objecting are p*ssies. Unless they have a legitimate concern based on the nature of whatever firearms are proposed to be allowed, they're sounding like New York City douche bags.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2234 Times on 1217 Posts
Likes Given: 3450

It sounds like that area is building up. If that is the case, folks are knowingly building homes close to a firing range: In which case my comment is "stuff your noise complaint where the sun don't shine". If bullets are leaving that firing range something needs to be fixed: Bullets do not leave well constructed and well run gun ranges.

BTW: Theres an epidemic of whining about shooting ranges in the US;

Firing Ranges

Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #10

Liked 1184 Times on 850 Posts
Likes Given: 604

I read up some more on it and its a legit range , what the liberal media does not mention are the redneck neighbors who shoot , not at the range , the hunting that goes on there and some other interesting facts .

On a side note : What happens when say , it is legal for you to shoot on your property , it is safe , ect ect . But the neighbors dont like it so they start a petition up against you . What happens after the majority signs it ? Time to call the NRA ? The old hag that lives a few house up from me has started one twice now , from what I understand no one signed it but say they did ?

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.