Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Non Compliant gun sale through Big 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Non Compliant gun sale through Big 5

A month ago I purchased an MN 91/30 that was on sale. Did the paperwork, waited 10 days, picked it up etc.

I got a certified letter from Roger Tanaka, Director of Operations for Big 5 stating that Big 5 did not complete the paperwork properly, and that my rifle is non compliant with state law because of this mistake.

They're asking me to come back to the store, re-do the paperwork so its a legal ownership...

I was heading to the range tomorrow, if I were to be pulled over and searched, that could have potentially been a 10 year prison sentence for illegal posession.

they gave me a whopping $10 gift card for their mistake...
I'm going in later to fill it out again...but I feel like a complaint could be filed or legal action could be taken against them and they want me to sign those papers ASAP so they can't be touched. Am i just over reacting to this?

What would you do in this situation?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #2

Liked 2140 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

I'd go sign the paper work and collect my 10 bucks. You haven't been damaged other than a little hassle of going back to sign the paper work again. Being as they admitted to their mistake I seriously doubt you'd have gone to prison. There was no criminal intent.

10 days to wait on a gun sounds like an infringement to me I'd move out of Kalifornia.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8305 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Even in CA, it is highly unlikely that you would be going to jail because the seller made a paperwork error. The SELLER having legal problems is another matter.

Just for the hell of it, I would have been tempted to say "What rifle?"- just so they squirm a bit.

And yes, they are trying to be up front, go in, help them get their paperwork straight. At $10 for a gift card, they probably lost their profit on the sale- those are not high dollar items- I'd be tempted to hit them up for a box of ammo.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Nothing, go sign the papers and move on!

They are trying to correct the problem, and you did NOT get pulled over or suffer any other loss because of a MISTAKE.

People shouldn't sue just because they can!

That's why there is so much CYA bull-pelosi in life today, and why there are so many things you could do 30 years ago that you can't today, because everyones worried about being sued!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #5

Default 10 Day waiting periods

We get upset here in Arizona if we have to wait for the receipt to be printed up for a gun purchase.
Move out of California was suggested, hell run out of California, them folks are crazy!!!

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5098 Times on 2650 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
We get upset here in Arizona if we have to wait for the receipt to be printed up for a gun purchase.
Move out of California was suggested, hell run out of California, them folks are crazy!!!
you guys got pima county and sheriff dupnik heh....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you guys got pima county and sheriff dupnik heh....

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You saying Wisconsin is more politically astute than Pima County? On what basis?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:53 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
You saying Wisconsin is more politically astute than Pima County? On what basis?
Exactly what I was wondering and who is Sheriff "dupnik"? He is not talking about Arpio (sp) is he?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Dupnik is the azzhat that spouted all that nonsense when Congresswoman Giffords was shot in Tuscon.

Sign the papers, collect the ten bucks and get on with life.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams