Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Non Compliant gun sale through Big 5 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/non-compliant-gun-sale-through-big-5-a-42407/)

Andlyn 05-12-2011 06:46 PM

Non Compliant gun sale through Big 5

A month ago I purchased an MN 91/30 that was on sale. Did the paperwork, waited 10 days, picked it up etc.

I got a certified letter from Roger Tanaka, Director of Operations for Big 5 stating that Big 5 did not complete the paperwork properly, and that my rifle is non compliant with state law because of this mistake.

They're asking me to come back to the store, re-do the paperwork so its a legal ownership...

I was heading to the range tomorrow, if I were to be pulled over and searched, that could have potentially been a 10 year prison sentence for illegal posession.

they gave me a whopping $10 gift card for their mistake...
I'm going in later to fill it out again...but I feel like a complaint could be filed or legal action could be taken against them and they want me to sign those papers ASAP so they can't be touched. Am i just over reacting to this?

What would you do in this situation?

rjd3282 05-12-2011 07:07 PM

I'd go sign the paper work and collect my 10 bucks. You haven't been damaged other than a little hassle of going back to sign the paper work again. Being as they admitted to their mistake I seriously doubt you'd have gone to prison. There was no criminal intent.

10 days to wait on a gun sounds like an infringement to me I'd move out of Kalifornia. :eek:

c3shooter 05-12-2011 07:10 PM

Even in CA, it is highly unlikely that you would be going to jail because the seller made a paperwork error. The SELLER having legal problems is another matter.

Just for the hell of it, I would have been tempted to say "What rifle?"- just so they squirm a bit. :eek:

And yes, they are trying to be up front, go in, help them get their paperwork straight. At $10 for a gift card, they probably lost their profit on the sale- those are not high dollar items- I'd be tempted to hit them up for a box of ammo.

Jesse17 05-12-2011 07:12 PM

Nothing, go sign the papers and move on!

They are trying to correct the problem, and you did NOT get pulled over or suffer any other loss because of a MISTAKE.

People shouldn't sue just because they can!:rolleyes:

That's why there is so much CYA bull-pelosi in life today, and why there are so many things you could do 30 years ago that you can't today, because everyones worried about being sued!

yellowhand 05-13-2011 01:03 AM

10 Day waiting periods

We get upset here in Arizona if we have to wait for the receipt to be printed up for a gun purchase.
Move out of California was suggested, hell run out of California, them folks are crazy!!!:eek:

JonM 05-13-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 503494)
We get upset here in Arizona if we have to wait for the receipt to be printed up for a gun purchase.
Move out of California was suggested, hell run out of California, them folks are crazy!!!:eek:

you guys got pima county and sheriff dupnik heh....

skullcrusher 05-13-2011 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 503546)
you guys got pima county and sheriff dupnik heh....

:confused: ...........

freefall 05-13-2011 03:36 AM

You saying Wisconsin is more politically astute than Pima County? On what basis? :cool:

skullcrusher 05-13-2011 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freefall (Post 503574)
You saying Wisconsin is more politically astute than Pima County? On what basis? :cool:

Exactly what I was wondering and who is Sheriff "dupnik"? He is not talking about Arpio (sp) is he?

CA357 05-13-2011 04:46 AM

Dupnik is the azzhat that spouted all that nonsense when Congresswoman Giffords was shot in Tuscon.

Sign the papers, collect the ten bucks and get on with life. ;)