non citizen firearms ownership?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

non citizen firearms ownership?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane,queensland
Posts: 5
Default non citizen firearms ownership?

g'day folks Just a quick question Some time In the next 24 months I will be moveing to the usa for studies and once The three year course is done I will be applying for a green card/permanent residency but any way Can I get a Firearms Lisence or what ever is needed over There to have a firearms licence for Hand guns for sports shooting I compete In ipsc Pistol shooting and would like to continue Our laws over here suck balls for hand guns rifels ect but I wont rant about them at this time Are state laws Diffrent from state to state If so I will be studying in trinidad colorado?
aussie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
g'day folks Just a quick question Some time In the next 24 months I will be moveing to the usa for studies and once The three year course is done I will be applying for a green card/permanent residency but any way Can I get a Firearms Lisence or what ever is needed over There to have a firearms licence for Hand guns for sports shooting I compete In ipsc Pistol shooting and would like to continue Our laws over here suck balls for hand guns rifels ect but I wont rant about them at this time Are state laws Diffrent from state to state If so I will be studying in trinidad colorado?
They are different from state to state and sometimes from county to county. BEST thing you could do is ask a lawyer in the county you are moving to. They will be able to give you the best advice than anyone.
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,237
Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Default

I believe you can as a resident alien but not as a temporary. State laws do vary by a lot. California and illinois for example make australia down right cozy gun wise.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane,queensland
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I believe you can as a resident alien but not as a temporary. State laws do vary by a lot. California and illinois for example make australia down right cozy gun wise.
We cant have semi auto long arms and can Only have full size hand guns and you have to have firearms Lockt in a safe at all time and cant use them for self Defence!
aussie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
We cant have semi auto long arms and can Only have full size hand guns and you have to have firearms Lockt in a safe at all time and cant use them for self Defence!
In California and Illinois, youre lucky you can keep your fingers as they can be used to poke someone in the eye.....
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dzscubie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: El Paso,Texas
Posts: 2,521
Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Aussi,

I have one of my Supervisors researching this for me. Are you coming in on a F1 visa? When are you coming, I believe you may not be able to buy a handgun here but you may be able to bring one in with you. I'll drop you a pm in the morning.


Shawn
__________________
"I never killed anyone who didn't need killing."
JW Hardin
Dzscubie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane,queensland
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Aussi,

I have one of my Supervisors researching this for me. Are you coming in on a F1 visa? When are you coming, I believe you may not be able to buy a handgun here but you may be able to bring one in with you. I'll drop you a pm in the morning.


Shawn
Yeh Mate F1 visa I will be doeing a Gunsmithing course Gota look in to it a bit more ect so Let me get this right I can bring one But if it breaks I can not buy a new one?
aussie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 18,181
Liked 10772 Times on 4662 Posts
Likes Given: 1759

Default

A RESIDENT alien (such as my lady) can and has bought firearms quite legally. There are a few additional hoops for a NON-RESIDENT alien, but yes, it is legal. Now, being able to take it home with you when you go, THAT may be another matter- between you and your own authorities.

As I had mentioned to another poster, a friend writes a blog on hunting, fishing, and guns. This is it- THE NEW RIVER VALLEY OUTDOORSMAN

On the LEFT side, scroll down until you get to the "Mike buys a rifle"- Mike was one of his students- If I recall, a Kiwi. After you have been in Colorado, go take the hunter safety course, get a hunting license, THEN go gun shopping.

If you are a smoker, quit now. Trinidad is 6010 ft above sea level.
__________________
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane,queensland
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
A RESIDENT alien (such as my lady) can and has bought firearms quite legally. There are a few additional hoops for a NON-RESIDENT alien, but yes, it is legal. Now, being able to take it home with you when you go, THAT may be another matter- between you and your own authorities.

As I had mentioned to another poster, a friend writes a blog on hunting, fishing, and guns. This is it- THE NEW RIVER VALLEY OUTDOORSMAN

On the LEFT side, scroll down until you get to the "Mike buys a rifle"- Mike was one of his students- If I recall, a Kiwi. After you have been in Colorado, go take the hunter safety course, get a hunting license, THEN go gun shopping.

If you are a smoker, quit now. Trinidad is 6010 ft above sea level.
Cheers mate so with a Hunting Lisence I can buy a hand gun as well as rifels?
aussie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 18,181
Liked 10772 Times on 4662 Posts
Likes Given: 1759

Default

THAT I am not sure about- but handgun hunting IS legal in Colorado (for big game, has to be high power handgun) If you are going to be at the Colorado School of Trades there in T-Dad, your faculty should be able to get you a definite answer- but rifle/shotgun for sure. How long will you be there? There is a minimum time in residence before you can buy- either 30 or 90 days- need coffee before I can remember.
__________________
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Purchase by UK citizen Togger Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 7 04-01-2011 02:07 PM
Intelligence Squared - Second Amendment / Firearms Ownership Debates Swampbilly Legal and Activism 8 12-29-2010 12:16 AM
Law Abiding Citizen User Name The Club House 4 10-30-2009 08:48 PM
Firearms ownership: One of the safest activities there is sculker The Club House 6 03-28-2009 06:28 AM



Newest Threads