Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   non citizen firearms ownership? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/non-citizen-firearms-ownership-45280/)

aussie 07-16-2011 03:11 AM

non citizen firearms ownership?

g'day folks Just a quick question Some time In the next 24 months I will be moveing to the usa for studies and once The three year course is done I will be applying for a green card/permanent residency but any way Can I get a Firearms Lisence or what ever is needed over There to have a firearms licence for Hand guns for sports shooting I compete In ipsc Pistol shooting and would like to continue Our laws over here suck balls for hand guns rifels ect but I wont rant about them at this time Are state laws Diffrent from state to state If so I will be studying in trinidad colorado?

cddbrowns 07-16-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie (Post 542575)
g'day folks Just a quick question Some time In the next 24 months I will be moveing to the usa for studies and once The three year course is done I will be applying for a green card/permanent residency but any way Can I get a Firearms Lisence or what ever is needed over There to have a firearms licence for Hand guns for sports shooting I compete In ipsc Pistol shooting and would like to continue Our laws over here suck balls for hand guns rifels ect but I wont rant about them at this time Are state laws Diffrent from state to state If so I will be studying in trinidad colorado?

They are different from state to state and sometimes from county to county. BEST thing you could do is ask a lawyer in the county you are moving to. They will be able to give you the best advice than anyone.

JonM 07-16-2011 03:20 AM

I believe you can as a resident alien but not as a temporary. State laws do vary by a lot. California and illinois for example make australia down right cozy gun wise.

aussie 07-16-2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 542585)
I believe you can as a resident alien but not as a temporary. State laws do vary by a lot. California and illinois for example make australia down right cozy gun wise.

We cant have semi auto long arms and can Only have full size hand guns and you have to have firearms Lockt in a safe at all time and cant use them for self Defence!

cddbrowns 07-16-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie (Post 542588)
We cant have semi auto long arms and can Only have full size hand guns and you have to have firearms Lockt in a safe at all time and cant use them for self Defence!

In California and Illinois, youre lucky you can keep your fingers as they can be used to poke someone in the eye.....

Dzscubie 07-16-2011 03:31 AM

Aussi,

I have one of my Supervisors researching this for me. Are you coming in on a F1 visa? When are you coming, I believe you may not be able to buy a handgun here but you may be able to bring one in with you. I'll drop you a pm in the morning.

Shawn

aussie 07-16-2011 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzscubie (Post 542598)
Aussi,

I have one of my Supervisors researching this for me. Are you coming in on a F1 visa? When are you coming, I believe you may not be able to buy a handgun here but you may be able to bring one in with you. I'll drop you a pm in the morning.

Shawn

Yeh Mate F1 visa I will be doeing a Gunsmithing course Gota look in to it a bit more ect so Let me get this right I can bring one But if it breaks I can not buy a new one?

c3shooter 07-16-2011 05:19 AM

A RESIDENT alien (such as my lady) can and has bought firearms quite legally. There are a few additional hoops for a NON-RESIDENT alien, but yes, it is legal. Now, being able to take it home with you when you go, THAT may be another matter- between you and your own authorities.

As I had mentioned to another poster, a friend writes a blog on hunting, fishing, and guns. This is it- THE NEW RIVER VALLEY OUTDOORSMAN

On the LEFT side, scroll down until you get to the "Mike buys a rifle"- Mike was one of his students- If I recall, a Kiwi. After you have been in Colorado, go take the hunter safety course, get a hunting license, THEN go gun shopping.

If you are a smoker, quit now. Trinidad is 6010 ft above sea level. :eek:

aussie 07-16-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 542684)
A RESIDENT alien (such as my lady) can and has bought firearms quite legally. There are a few additional hoops for a NON-RESIDENT alien, but yes, it is legal. Now, being able to take it home with you when you go, THAT may be another matter- between you and your own authorities.

As I had mentioned to another poster, a friend writes a blog on hunting, fishing, and guns. This is it- THE NEW RIVER VALLEY OUTDOORSMAN

On the LEFT side, scroll down until you get to the "Mike buys a rifle"- Mike was one of his students- If I recall, a Kiwi. After you have been in Colorado, go take the hunter safety course, get a hunting license, THEN go gun shopping.

If you are a smoker, quit now. Trinidad is 6010 ft above sea level. :eek:

Cheers mate so with a Hunting Lisence I can buy a hand gun as well as rifels?

c3shooter 07-16-2011 11:55 AM

THAT I am not sure about- but handgun hunting IS legal in Colorado (for big game, has to be high power handgun) If you are going to be at the Colorado School of Trades there in T-Dad, your faculty should be able to get you a definite answer- but rifle/shotgun for sure. How long will you be there? There is a minimum time in residence before you can buy- either 30 or 90 days- need coffee before I can remember.