No ruling on D.C.'s gun ban today

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > No ruling on D.C.'s gun ban today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default No ruling on D.C.'s gun ban today

June 23, 2008 - 10:24am

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court won't give its ruling in the D.C. gun ban case Monday.
The court has scheduled a special session for Wednesday.

The law, which banned private ownership of handguns in the District, was taken to the Supreme Court after the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled that the law violates the Second Amendment.

The crux of the argument is to focus on whether the Second Amendment guarantees the individual right to bear arms or protects the right of states to maintain militias.

This is the high court's first comprehensive review of the Second Amendment. The court's ruling will have ramifications across the country.

D.C.'s ban, which is the toughest in the country, has attracted attention from states across the nation. Virginia, Arkansas and Texas are joining in the challenge of the ban, while Maryland, New York, Illinois and Hawaii, are backing the measure.

While city leaders say the law keeps guns off District streets, police have confiscated numerous weapons that have been traced to shops in Maryland and Virginia. District police seized 2,924 guns in 2007 alone.

Back in March, when the case came before the court, here were some of the arguments:

"At the end of the day, I think, however one resolves those great theoretical and constitutional issues, we come down to the fact that this is an extremely reasonable law. Because the District of Columbia really thought this through. And they allowed rifles and shotguns. They believe in the right of people to be able to defend their homes."
- Lawyer Walter Dellinger, representing the District of Columbia

"This morning the Supreme Court heard arguments about whether or not the Second Amendment actually means anything. Is it some sort of a relic of the past that has no operative force today? Does it guarantee a right to follow military orders, or does it do what most Americans understand it does, guarantees an individual right of American citizens to defend themselves and their families in their own homes with simple, ordinary firearms, including handguns."
- Lawyer Alan Gura, representing clients seeking to overturn the District of Columbia gun ban

"I have said many, many times as police chief in Washington, D.C., and after policing here in this city for nearly 18 years that the issue with handguns to me is very clear. A weapon that is easily concealed, that can be taken inside of schools, inside of churches, inside of government buildings without anyone's knowledge ... is something that we don't want in the District of Columbia."
- Police Chief Cathy Lanier

"The Constitution does not end at the borders of the District of Columbia. The citizens of Washington, D.C., enjoy all the constitutional rights that every citizen enjoys, including the right to shoot and bear arms."
- Clark Neily, co-counsel

(Copyright 2008 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court won't give its ruling in the D.C. gun ban case Monday.
The court has scheduled a special session for Wednesday.

The law, which banned private ownership of handguns in the District, was taken to the Supreme Court after the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled that the law violates the Second Amendment.

The crux of the argument is to focus on whether the Second Amendment guarantees the individual right to bear arms or protects the right of states to maintain militias.

This is the high court's first comprehensive review of the Second Amendment. The court's ruling will have ramifications across the country.

D.C.'s ban, which is the toughest in the country, has attracted attention from states across the nation. Virginia, Arkansas and Texas are joining in the challenge of the ban, while Maryland, New York, Illinois and Hawaii, are backing the measure.

While city leaders say the law keeps guns off District streets, police have confiscated numerous weapons that have been traced to shops in Maryland and Virginia. District police seized 2,924 guns in 2007 alone.

Back in March, when the case came before the court, here were some of the arguments:

"At the end of the day, I think, however one resolves those great theoretical and constitutional issues, we come down to the fact that this is an extremely reasonable law. Because the District of Columbia really thought this through. And they allowed rifles and shotguns. They believe in the right of people to be able to defend their homes."

"This morning the Supreme Court heard arguments about whether or not the Second Amendment actually means anything. Is it some sort of a relic of the past that has no operative force today? Does it guarantee a right to follow military orders, or does it do what most Americans understand it does, guarantees an individual right of American citizens to defend themselves and their families in their own homes with simple, ordinary firearms, including handguns."
- Lawyer Alan Gura, representing clients seeking to overturn the District of Columbia gun ban

"I have said many, many times as police chief in Washington, D.C., and after policing here in this city for nearly 18 years that the issue with handguns to me is very clear. A weapon that is easily concealed, that can be taken inside of schools, inside of churches, inside of government buildings without anyone's knowledge ... is something that we don't want in the District of Columbia."
- Police Chief Cathy Lanier

"The Constitution does not end at the borders of the District of Columbia. The citizens of Washington, D.C., enjoy all the constitutional rights that every citizen enjoys, including the right to shoot and bear arms."
- Clark Neily, co-counsel

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1426781

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,
protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend
our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it
was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

"We The People"
"The Pro Gun Blog"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

They're waiting for Fox News to call them and tell them how they should vote.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9411 Times on 4055 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Well, as far as guns in DC coming from VA and MD- can't remember ever seeing a gun shop inside the city limits of DC, so where else WOULD they come from- Mommy and Daddy guns? Woud humbly point out with ALL the MULTIPLE police departments in the District, and having MORE cops per quare ft than any other city in the US, I am still safer walking along the Appalachian Trail in a country that has a Sheriff and 3 deputies. This case should be interesting. If they say no, then the loud humming noise you will be hearing is a good ole Virginia boy- George Mason- author of the Bill of Rights- spinning in his grave.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:35 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Somebody somewhere said that Scalia is writing the opinion. I might expect strong support of the actual meaning of the Second. But if there are concurring opinions to make a majority, it seems the DC ban might be declared unconstitutional without touching on any other part of the Second. Miller will still stand and restrictions will remain.

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-24-2008, 02:48 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

More rhetorical lawyer BS...what he forgot to mention is that in order to keep a legally registered long gun in your house, it must be either disassembled or kept in a locked gun safe. Neither of which is conducive to self-defense...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Well, that's because they don't care if you can defend yourself. It's only important that our elite can protect themselves....

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Well, that's because they don't care if you can defend yourself. It's only important that our elite can protect themselves....
10 years ago Ted Kennedy's body guard was arrested in DC when he was picking up his boss for the trip to the airport. He was to accompany Fat Ted on a South American speaking tour, and he was arrested because he was in possession of a MAC10 and a semi-auto handgun with 300 rds. of ammo! He was an ex-cop so I guess he thought he was immune from the same prosecution that anyone else would face being armed in DC. The good news is he wasn't immune. The really telling part of this is that that fat drunken anti-gun turd has the gall to impose gun restrictions on the population while he struts around with his armed-to-the-teeth body guard covering his fat ass.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
10 years ago Ted Kennedy's body guard was arrested in DC when he was picking up his boss for the trip to the airport. He was to accompany Fat Ted on a South American speaking tour, and he was arrested because he was in possession of a MAC10 and a semi-auto handgun with 300 rds. of ammo! He was an ex-cop so I guess he thought he was immune from the same prosecution that anyone else would face being armed in DC. The good news is he wasn't immune. The really telling part of this is that that fat drunken anti-gun turd has the gall to impose gun restrictions on the population while he struts around with his armed-to-the-teeth body guard covering his fat ass.
I recall reading Michael Moore, Rosie O'Donnell, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and (I think) ex-governor Spitzer all hired armed bodyguards while being vocally outspoken in favor of strict gun-control laws.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I recall reading Michael Moore, Rosie O'Donnell, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and (I think) ex-governor Spitzer all hired armed bodyguards while being vocally outspoken in favor of strict gun-control laws.
Well, of course, because like I said....It's only important that our elite can protect themselves....

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I think body guards should be outlawed - or at least have restrictions placed on them - you know, no cop killer bullets, no semi-auto's, no hollowpoints, and maybe even registration..."I'm sorry, but you're under arrest for having an unresistered body guard".. either that or make them available for free to anyone who wants one, not just hypocitical politicians...

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-25-2008 at 02:58 AM.