No more cmp - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

No more cmp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

I would consider Orest, the COO of CMP, as the definitive word on the subject. Based upon the info he currently has, he states this will not impact CMP.
Always subject to change as the legal experts twist definitions.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #32

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is that it prohibits the reimportation of guns that the US has sold to allies. Which is why it will effect the cmp.
Alright because I'd be even madder if it did.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #33

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Wrong. It directly affects the CMP as it is addressing specifically "re-imports of military surplus firearms".

Here is an excerpt the White House press release:

And here is the link to the site: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/08/29/fact-sheet-new-executive-actions-reduce-gun-violence

And yes, the CMP is a privately run program!!
You need to read more carefully
CMP does NOT IMPORT RIFLES.
Rifles are returned (NOT IMPORTED) to the US Army that were loaned to other countries. By Congress they are then turned over to CMP
The director of operations of CMP even stated that this would not affect their operations

Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Wanna bet?
Yup, I'll take that bet

Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #35

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

CMP is not in the business of selling rifles. CMP is a marksmanship program. Does this mean that buying a rifle from CMP might become difficult, yes. On the front page of the CMP website it clearly says that surplus rifles will not last forever. Those of you who are not active service members, veterans or active participants in CMP events might get shoved to the back of the line for a surplus rifle. But CMP will go on teaching marksmanship and having qualification competitions. CMP might have to tear a page out of Project Appleseeds playbook. The safety officers and range instructors will be issued several rifles, so that participants who cannot afford a rifle can borrow a rifle. The rest of us can still buy a new M1 from Springfield if we want to compete in CMP qualification matches.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #36

There are many other rifles besides Garands used in CMP Matches
CMP mission is teaching marksmanship with imphasis towards youth. Little Johnny and Susie arent using Garands in matches but 22 and air rifles

Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #37
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
You need to read more carefully
CMP does NOT IMPORT RIFLES.
Rifles are returned (NOT IMPORTED) to the US Army that were loaned to other countries. By Congress they are then turned over to CMP
The director of operations of CMP even stated that this would not affect their operations
It covers re-importation, and specifically does include the military rifles, specifically the M1 Garands and M1 Carbines that were exported to countries like Korea for the war. Those are the rifles specifically they are talking about. The Executive Order would prohibit the RE-importation of these rifles.

This is what Orest said that I found:
Quote:
"wow - three pages before I get to reply - here is my answer:
it just happened this morning and I don't know when I will have time to evaluate. We have to do today's work today and process orders we already have, and then hit the road for Cody.

From what I read - it has no direct impact on the CMP. Of course others will argue it."
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=116518

He then later closed that thread because it had gotten "too political". OK, fair enough. He is not a politician.

If anyone has found anything more recent from Orest please post it and provide the link.

If you went to the White House link I provided http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/08/29/fact-sheet-new-executive-actions-reduce-gun-violence and read carefully you would have seen this last paragraph at the bottom which reads

Quote:
Today, the Administration is announcing a new policy of denying requests to bring military-grade firearms back into the United States to private entities, with only a few exceptions such as for museums. This new policy will help keep military-grade firearms off our streets.
If there were an exception for the CMP, don't you think that it would have been specifically mentioned as one of the "few exceptions?"

And from my perspective, Orest is taking the easy route by saying what he said. It may have "no direct impact on the CMP", but it will, as it has been presented, directly impact the number of firearms available for civilian purchase through the CMP. He is splitting hairs.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #38

Per Orest:

the last word here is mine.

The article on accuratre shooter and the other forums that includes the CMP are nothing but "the shy is falling". No different than the supermarket rag headlines.

Second, it is not an import. it is retrograde.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #39
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Per Orest:

the last word here is mine.

The article on accuratre shooter and the other forums that includes the CMP are nothing but "the shy is falling". No different than the supermarket rag headlines.

Second, it is not an import. it is retrograde.
A bit full of himself that he should think his word holds any water over an Executive Order by the President. I am reading the White House press release Fact Sheet. Unless and until The White House issues anything to the contrary or this EO is determined to be outside of the scope of the President's authority in court that is all we have to go off of.

While the CMP training program would not be affected by this EO, it is an incontrovertible truth that the supply of military firearms through the CMP will be affected.

As far as a retrograde versus a re-import (the latter being the term used in the White House Press releases), a retrograde is reverting to an earlier or inferior condition, whereas re-importing is to return what was once exported from the country.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

I would love a retrograde Mustang or Corvette

We can debate this until Obama leaves office, which is why the CMP thread was closed. We all shall see, and it will be what it will be. Best advice - if you want a Garand, get over to the North or South store (call first) and pick one up soon. No regrets that way. Who know what will happen with the mail orders if this goes into effect.

Newest Threads