Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > NJ CCW Update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default NJ CCW Update

PLAINTIFFS FIRE NEXT SHOT IN RIGHT TO CARRY LAWSUIT!
Powerful Response to NJ Attorney General’s Argument That the Second Amendment Only Applies inside the Home And that the Public Needs to be Protected from Those Who Legally Carry Firearms

On February 18, ANJRPC, the Second Amendment Foundation, and 6 individual plaintiffs filed reply papers in their historic right to carry lawsuit, in response to the State of New Jersey’s absurd argument that the Second Amendment only applies inside the home, and that the public needs to be protected from those who legally carry firearms. The new reply papers are available here.
The federal lawsuit, filed in November of last year, challenges New Jersey’s unconstitutional "justifiable need” standard for issuance of handgun carry permits – a nearly impossible standard to meet that has all but eliminated the right to self defense with a firearm in the Garden State.
In its papers filed last month, the Attorney General defended New Jersey’s existing carry laws, revealed apparent anti-Second Amendment bias, and moved to dismiss (i.e., end) the case. A nearly identical "friend of the court” brief was filed the same day by The Brady Campaign, Million Mom March NJ chapter, and CeaseFire NJ.
"It is now crystal clear that the State of New Jersey has no intention of ever respecting the right to defend yourself with a firearm outside the home, and will have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into compliance with the Heller and McDonald decisions,” said ANJRPC President Scott Bach. "With this lawsuit, we intend to do just that, even if we have to go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court,” said Bach.
The State’s responsive papers are due in Mid-March, after which the case will be submitted to a U.S. District Court Judge for decision, which could come as early as this Summer. Appeals are anticipated regardless of the decision.
ANJRPC will keep you apprised of major case developments as they occur. Please watch for future alerts.

Join The Fight!
Support ANJRPC'S Efforts to Restore
The Second Amendment in the Garden State.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update! This obviously will be a very difficult battle. I have my fingers crossed...

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #3

There is something seriously wrong with that state (no offense). I was stationed there in the late 90's and couldn't wait to get out.

Aside from the restrictions I am amazed at the lengths and measures taken to make sure every single "violation" sticks. There was a Chief Gunner's mate at my armory that was arrested just before I arrived there because he was stopped for a simple traffic offense. He was returning from leave in another state where he had been hunting and admitted he had a firearm in his luggage in the trunk. After all was said and done, a box of hollow point ammunition was found in the vehicle, which caused the problem.

He paid an obscene amount of money in attorney fees and it was eventually put to rest but I can't imagine the money spent by the state to try to crucify that man.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

STATE CONTINUES TO

TRASH SECOND AMENDMENT

IN RIGHT TO CARRY LAWSUIT

NJ Attorney General Argues That The Second Amendment

Right to Bear Arms Does Not Apply Outside the Home and

That the Public Needs to be Protected From Those Legally Carrying!
On March 16, the New Jersey Attorney General filed its final lower court response in the recently-filed lawsuit challenging New Jersey’s extreme and subjective handgun carry laws.

As in its previous papers, the Attorney General again trashed the Second Amendment, arguing that the right to bear arms does not apply outside the home, and that New Jersey’s carry laws are constitutional and necessary to protect the public from those who legally carry firearms.

The full text of the Attorney General’s latest brief is available here.

The federal lawsuit, filed in November of last year by ANJRPC, the Second Amendment Foundation, and six individual plaintiffs, challenges New Jersey’s unconstitutional "justifiable need” standard for issuance of handgun carry permits – a nearly impossible standard to meet that has all but eliminated the right to self defense with a firearm in the Garden State.

"It is now crystal clear that the State of New Jersey has no intention of ever respecting the right to defend yourself with a firearm outside the home, and will have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into compliance with the Heller and McDonald decisions,” said ANJRPC President Scott Bach. "With this lawsuit, we intend to do just that, even if we have to go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court,” said Bach.
The case is now submitted for consideration by a U.S. District Court Judge, who could rule as early as September. Appeals are anticipated regardless of the decision.

ANJRPC will keep you apprised of major case developments as they occur. Please watch for future alerts.

Join The Fight!

Support ANJRPC’S Efforts to Restore

The Second Amendment in the Garden State.

Join ANJRPC

Donate to ANJRPC’s Litigation & Special Projects Fund

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 03-17-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Angry NJ Sucks!

Having lived there for over 50 years, I think I have earned the right to say this! I have been living in the Gun Paradise of these United States and I would never ever move back to this corrupt State. Unfortunately I have all my family still living there and I will be visiting there for two weeks in April. Yes, I will be carrying my Pocket Pistol or Revolver as I always have, with the hope of never having to use it or get caught with it but I did this for many years when I lived there and when I visited the Big Apple. I value my life and the lives of my loved ones much more than the Gun Laws of NJ and NYC. Wish me Luck!