The News Media and Gun Rights - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > The News Media and Gun Rights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
Jay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Private property rights are one thing. If the general public is allowed into a business, and state law does not specifically prohibit concealed carry in that "class" of business, (ie the Post Office)then a "no guns" sign does NOT carry the weight of law, and as stated, puts you in legal danger only if you refuse to leave when asked.

...at least in Indiana.... I"m NOT an attorney.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 05-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #12

Liked 2496 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

[QUOTE=Spider;503679]During the concealed carry class I took several weeks ago the instructor spent a few minutes pointing out something that hadn't occurred to me: the phrase, "a shooting" or "a gunman" is used without much in the way of an explanation as to circumstances when a homeowner or other armed citizen successfully defends himself or herself using a firearm. Especially if it is out in public and the "shooter" is a concealed carry permit holder (that will seldom come out in the news, and I'm not sure why because they do most often identify all involved by name).

We just see something like, "the shooter claimed he was being threatened so drew his handgun and fired two shots, killing 30 year-old 'so-and-so'."

The news articles pretty much always give the impression that "the shooter" was some wild-eyed, evil nut with a gun, and of course, guns are evil in and of themselves.

Journalist's main mission is to make a story interesting, no matter HOW

BADLY THEY DISTORT IT, in order to sell their diet to others: Soap,

hard-on pills and dog food. They don't care who they crush in their

push to jack up ratings. I only can wish the same treatment is forced

upon them some day.

Ironically, they're irresponsibly abusing the first amendment, which winds up

denying law abiding citizens the second...

Last edited by therewolf; 05-14-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #13

Liked 2496 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

As to "no guns allowed" vote with your wallet.

I NEVER enter or use an establishment which restricts my freedoms.

Hope they have a profitable time without my financial input,

and good luck with the bankruptcy...

Last edited by therewolf; 05-14-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Private property rights are one thing. If the general public is allowed into a business, and state law does not specifically prohibit concealed carry in that "class" of business, (ie the Post Office)then a "no guns" sign does NOT carry the weight of law, and as stated, puts you in legal danger only if you refuse to leave when asked.

...at least in Indiana.... I"m NOT an attorney.
I agree in spirit with what you're saying. But in actuality the weight of law here in Nebraska is spelled out for us (as quoted earlier in this thread): it basically tells us that to carry in a "no guns" posted establishment is a violation.

Violations result in forfeiture of the permit and fines.

I spoke with a lady who owns a candle and macrame store not far from where I live. She has a big decal on her glass door with the red circle and slash through the pic of the handgun. I kindly pointed out that criminals see those signs as a green light for them because only the law abiding permit holder would feel obligated to obey the sign.

"I just don't like guns," she replied. My explanation did not penetrate her deep "anti" feeling about firearms.

That was that. Gift candle purchase made at another store in town.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
Jay

Things differ state-to-state.... you might consider these.. I've used 'em before....

Here's a couple of links to Word documents, so you can customize the back or front if you care to.

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/no guns front.doc
http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/no guns back.doc

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Old 05-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #16

I like those.. first time I've seen them. That part explaining about the permit/background check, etc is very good.

Thanks for the links!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
Jay

Ask the lady who owns the candle shop......

Which woman is morally superior...... the woman who lies raped and bleeding at the feet of her assailant, or the woman standing over her assailant with a smoking gun in her hands ?

Just tell her an old guy who believes in the right of self defense, and the Second Amendment wanted to know.

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

The news media usually does not lie, they just dont tell the whole truth. The same thing happens in court from professional witnesses.
We have a couple of markets here that have no gun policies handed down by upper management. The local managers are smart and dont want to lose business so the posting is only on one entrance. Locals know to use the other entrance which is not posted.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
We have a couple of markets here that have no gun policies handed down by upper management. The local managers are smart and dont want to lose business so the posting is only on one entrance. Locals know to use the other entrance which is not posted.
Why would they post at all then? Oh never mind, I guet it. I thought you meant they didn't have 'gun' policies, I see now you meant have 'no-gun' policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The news media usually does not lie, they just dont tell the whole truth. The same thing happens in court from professional witnesses.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=696_1180323980
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

The media is not a news reporting source anymore for me. They seek to sensationalize occurrences to raise their ratings. And are instructed by their owners to 'report' it as news in their all-too-familiar sing-song manner of joviality.