The News Media and Gun Rights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > The News Media and Gun Rights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The News Media and Gun Rights

During the concealed carry class I took several weeks ago the instructor spent a few minutes pointing out something that hadn't occurred to me: the phrase, "a shooting" or "a gunman" is used without much in the way of an explanation as to circumstances when a homeowner or other armed citizen successfully defends himself or herself using a firearm. Especially if it is out in public and the "shooter" is a concealed carry permit holder (that will seldom come out in the news, and I'm not sure why because they do most often identify all involved by name).

We just see something like, "the shooter claimed he was being threatened so drew his handgun and fired two shots, killing 30 year-old 'so-and-so'."

The news articles pretty much always give the impression that "the shooter" was some wild-eyed, evil nut with a gun, and of course, guns are evil in and of themselves.

If the news were more along the lines of how a weapon saved a law abiding citizen who had a permit to carry, would that be so bad?

Something else that seems goofy is the growing fad of retail shop owners and other businesses putting up "no guns allowed" signs in their windows and on their entrances, virtually barring law abiding permit holders but giving the green light to crooks who see an easier target knowing that no armed customer in there will have to be dealt with... but that's another subject.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

News is based on sensationalism, which makes people guess, and which make people pay attention to that reporting unit. Most people guess to the worse rather than the good side of the news. Very few articles are written to show the good side or the good deeds that people or organizations do.

Re; No guns allowed, I believe it is a twofold thing. One, by posting no guns allowed, may think that it reduces their liability in the event there is a shooting inside the store.

And two, whether those in favor of open carry want to admit it, some people are afraid of guns and do not under any circumstances want to see them out in the open. They don't give a hoot that it's a constitutional right, they just don't want guns flashed within their eyesight.

My advice, keep it concealed and no one knows you have it. Worse case scenario is that you are asked to leave the shop if they happen to spot your gun. They cannot have you arrested unless you fail to leave when asked. It wouldn't be the proper time to engage in a "right's battle" because you are on private property and they have the right to ban or bar people and articles if they so choose.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
During the concealed carry class I took several weeks ago the instructor spent a few minutes pointing out something that hadn't occurred to me: the phrase, "a shooting" or "a gunman" is used without much in the way of an explanation as to circumstances when a homeowner or other armed citizen successfully defends himself or herself using a firearm. Especially if it is out in public and the "shooter" is a concealed carry permit holder (that will seldom come out in the news, and I'm not sure why because they do most often identify all involved by name).

We just see something like, "the shooter claimed he was being threatened so drew his handgun and fired two shots, killing 30 year-old 'so-and-so'."

The news articles pretty much always give the impression that "the shooter" was some wild-eyed, evil nut with a gun, and of course, guns are evil in and of themselves.

If the news were more along the lines of how a weapon saved a law abiding citizen who had a permit to carry, would that be so bad?

Something else that seems goofy is the growing fad of retail shop owners and other businesses putting up "no guns allowed" signs in their windows and on their entrances, virtually barring law abiding permit holders but giving the green light to crooks who see an easier target knowing that no armed customer in there will have to be dealt with... but that's another subject.
Enter some pistol competitions That way, if asked, you have the option of saying, "I am a sports shooter. I enjoy competition." Or not. Your right to carry arms really doesn't need to be defended by someone looking for a story (or to make controversy where there is none).

As to those shops that put those signs up: vote with your dollars.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
My advice, keep it concealed and no one knows you have it. Worse case scenario is that you are asked to leave the shop if they happen to spot your gun. They cannot have you arrested unless you fail to leave when asked. It wouldn't be the proper time to engage in a "right's battle" because you are on private property and they have the right to ban or bar people and articles if they so choose.
In my state it is against the law to carry a firearm into an establishment that has "no firearms" clearly posted (usually the red circle with a slash through a pic of a handgun), so your advice cannot be taken by me (well-intended as it is, I'm sure). There is also a long list of other places they're not allowed, posted or not: post offices, schools, "places of worship," etc.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here in Montana there is no such thing as gun registration, but that doesn't stop the Billings Gazette from saying things like, "police found over 1,000 rounds of ammunition, and a unregistered shotgun."

They are anti-gun and use left wing tactics like that to slant their writing to fit their agenda. There is no such thing as NEWS these days, it's all COMMENTARY biased one way or the other.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The list is below, the clause that allows the business owner to bar weapons is the second to last. For what it is worth, while I think it is silly for a business to do so I also respect property rights, it the owner or owners representative doesn't want it there it should be his call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska Revised Statutes 69-2441
A permitholder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in Nebraska, except any: Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office; detention facility, prison, or jail; courtroom or building which contains a courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election; meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision; meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature; financial institution; professional or semiprofessional athletic event; building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school as defined in section 85-1603, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university; place of worship; hospital, emergency room, or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor; place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law; a place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises; or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by state law.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 05-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
.. I .. respect property rights, it the owner or owners representative doesn't want it there it should be his call.
I'm with you on that! But I think they should address the issue from the standpoint of just who would obey such a sign.

Also, regarding press attitides about guns, the "law abiding" part of "law abiding citizen with a concealed carry permit" is very important to me because that is what separates us from those who should be demonized: crooks with guns, and there are thousands of them out there (thus our need to lawfully carry).

Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As for the media, they like to keep you glued to their channel with fear, if you notice, before a commercial break, they like to lay a tidbit that will make you think if you don't watch you could miss the next and greatest threat to mankind, or some general murder and mayhem!! Fear and tradgety, death and destruction, that is what sells the news. Don't forget the main stream media is largely liberal and will almost never portray gun owner in a positive light.
As for the no guns allowed, either leave you gun in the car, or keep it on your person. If the law says it is a crime, then as with any law, it is up to YOU to obey( I hate the word OBEY for some reason). If your firearm is properly carried(discreetly), then who would know? Any way you look at it, it is your responsibility to be a law abiding citizen. Because these establishments are private property, they can call "no guns allowed", it is stupid as hell if you ask me, but hey, I guess the world needs prey as much as it needs predators!!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
For what it is worth, while I think it is silly for a business to do so I also respect property rights, it the owner or owners representative doesn't want it there it should be his call.
Absolutely! I think it should be up to a business owner who works for him, who he sells to, what he allows in his store, etc. I think banning smoking in bars or any other business is bull-pelosi. It should be up to the business owner to decide how to run his business, and up too the customer if they want to shop under those conditions.

I won't patronize a business that prohibits guns.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I'm with you on that! But I think they should address the issue from the standpoint of just who would obey such a sign.
I agree, I equate those signs as equal to "Victim Zone"

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."