New York Safe Act creates new Mason Dixon Line - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > New York Safe Act creates new Mason Dixon Line

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Geography question ...

I live near Middletown in Orange County, so I'm not sure if I'm "upstate" or "downstate." So I'm not sure which side of the Berlin wall I'm on, but I'd sure like to know, because I want to be on the side with the gun owners.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #22

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
I live near Middletown in Orange County, so I'm not sure if I'm "upstate" or "downstate." So I'm not sure which side of the Berlin wall I'm on, but I'd sure like to know, because I want to be on the side with the gun owners.
You are.

http://www.nysaferesolutions.com/2013/02/15/resolution-quick-list/576881_135115876670197_1338049642_n/
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #23

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
I grew up in Nanuet NY ... figuratively a stones throw from NYC and considered myself and "upstater". They way I look at it, if you are north of the city proper you are upstate

and regardless of what side of the wall you are on ... you can always resist tyranny

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1776 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 9873

Some food for thought:

It was pointed out that a large portion of upstate's money comes from NYC, and I am not trying to argue that, However. Upstate has several large cities (Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany) as well as many smaller towns and urban areas with big manufacturers, who employ folks from their surrounding area. How many of the pep;e who work in NYC actually live within NYC? A large number of people who work in the city, are from New Jersey and CT. Also, there are folks who live further out who fly in at the start of the work week, and fly home at the end of it. A large number of these flights are to and from D.C., Boston, Philly, etc. The question is, How much of that tax money are we in upstate really seeing? These folks go home at the end of the day or week, and spend their money outside of NY, not in NY. Sure, they pay NY State income tax, but they also pay it in their home state as well. The only way that we see any of their tax dollars is if it trickles down to the other end of the state, after Cuomo and his goons get a hold of it, and most of that money is going to NYC residents who are on their families 5th or 6th generation of welfare recipients. Needless to say, that makes me sick!

As far as NYC being part of NYS, it is, but at the same time, it isn't. Wrap your heads around this.

I have a NYS handicapped tag, and a NYS Pistol Permit. Neither one is valid in NYC, but a NYC, crip tag, and CCW are valid in the rest of the state. Go figure. The point to this, and the point WF38 makes in his OP is this. We are already a state divided, why not take the next step? NYC is a port city, and most if not all of the goods they need to survive can be shipped in by road, rail, or boat. The only thing we send them from downstate that they wouldn't have to pay for is water, and as far as I am concerned, they can still have that for free. Without their dead weight, jacked up taxes, and BS politics, upstate would be fine, because if the state were separated, we would still get a good chunk of their income through the services we sell to them anyway. We can take care of ourselves, splitting up the state would lower taxes, and that would bring back more jobs. Plain and simple.

The real trick would be getting it through the Senate, the house, and Cuomo, then getting the residents of NY to vote in favor of it. For the best chance of passing it, ti would have to be worded in such a way that if the majority of upstate voters voted yes, it would pass. Then we would have a chance.

Sorry about the rant, but I really needed to vent.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Vincine Likes This 
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #25

I think when we say 'Downstate', we really mean the NY part of the NY/NJ/CT Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA). It includes the bedrooms of Westchester, Yonkers, Longuyland, etc., and not just NYC proper.

It's true, there are other MSAs in NY; Buffalo, Albany, etc., but they don't hold a candle to NYC in terms of capital generation.

Last edited by Vincine; 03-21-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #26
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6944 Times on 3491 Posts
Likes Given: 7550

Fox and Dog, all true! The Nanuet thing is more a factor that lots of the rich moved just outside of the city so they could have their cake and eat it too. I bet most of the many generational homesteads are all but gone to new many million dollar homes. The Live free or die line pushed north slowly over the last 20 or so years. Luckily there is still lots of free NY left to live in.

I guess the way to make it happen is to get the same County representatives that voted to appeal the safe act to say weve had enough of Downstate ruling our days. The money they send upstate is mostly to pay for goods and services we supply. Otherwise sending their money upstate only means sending it to Albany then on to who knows where?

Albany is not supporting CNY, our biggest local employers is the Oneida Indian Nation, almost 6000 jobs and no state funding, likely the only reason anyone gets off the exit in Verona anymore. Our second largest is Remington Arms in Ilion and the only reason they are still here is because of bribes by NY State and Chuck Schumer; when the money dries up, Remington. will be gone.

We have the natural resources, we own them and everyone needs what we have especially NY City. If they paid the real price for what we produce, we could afford to care for the roads and bridges they have neglected Upstate for decades on our own and still take home more at the end of the day. My Brother in-law will never get paid per pound of milk what an Arab sheik gets for blood stained oil. They want all the Natural gas we can send them but wont let us use proven safe techniques to extract it on our own land, then they want to pay nothing for what we do send them. I think its time they pay a surcharge for water from the owners of the lands they tap to flush their toilets with, if your limiting my land use to protect that supply, you gotta pay me for that. Unless you have a well like me, you have to pay for water, its not free just cause it comes from your state,

We have enough Natural Gas, Wind, Solar and Hydro Power to light 3 states and fill 10 supertankers of Water and Natural Gas to sell Oversees every month. We will have plenty of sustainable and other profitable resources to sell and we dont need Wall-street, they need us!

Liberal City folk can still visit the Real New York on Vacation, we gladly accept their money but we really dont want their opinions anymore.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thank you for that. Then I am in good company.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #28

In the event youse missed this thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f145/short-time-lapse-video-ny-counties-going-green-87142/