New York: Mandatory long-gun registration?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > New York: Mandatory long-gun registration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default New York: Mandatory long-gun registration?

Does anyone know anything about this bill? Is it going anywhere or is it dead?

S2994-2011 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Provides for the registration of firearms by the owner thereof at the county clerks office of the county where the owner resides, except in New York City - New York State Senate

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2876 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 303

It appears to be an ongoing work in progress.
If I read it correctly (quick scan), it appears that ALL firearms will need to registered on an annual basis. Apparently there is a problem with gramps' old huntin rifle that needs to be addressed. $10 fee, per gun, per year. Looks like a tax. NY state is bankrupt, I'm surpised it isn't $500 per gun.
NY isn't going to be happy until they drive everyone out.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-02-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

First I heard about it but it's not surprising. Didn't NY pass similar legislation to be effective last Jan, all firearms to be ballistics registered with the State Police? I was sure the legislation passed but hadn't seen anything saying it had been funded.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #4

Liked 2562 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 2459

Sounds like another infringement to me.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Sounds like a good reason for evacuation or refusal on a large scale. I wonder what the penalty would be for registering a non-existant firearm or, more to the point, several thousand people registering a dozen each that are imaginary? Wonder how much poking their gubmint computers could take.

There is still property available down here in MS. It is legal here to have a concealed firearm in your car + : Legal Resources "2) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle. "

The humidity isn't that bad.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8960 Times on 3879 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

I believe this bit of dreck was also intoduced last year. And the year before. And the year before. Referred to Codes (committee) is a nice way of saying, "Yeah, sure. Uh, we are not going to debate this. Send it over to the Committee that advises us on this subject." Such bills usually (not always) "die in committee". The committee does not report back out on them, leaving them an unfertilized egg that gets swept out at the end of the year. If you are a New York voter, I WOULD contact my state congresscritter, let him know I am opposed to any further uneeded laws.

BTW, mention of this bill is going viral- all over the internet. I'd rather save energy for stuff that has a chance of happening. Don't think this is it.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I know nothing about this bill, so please feel free to skip over this post if you are hear for facts on it.

HOWEVER:

I have this to say about that.......

Good EFFING luck!! Do you have ANY idea how many WW1 and WW2 vets came from NY/NJ and other eastern states?!?! And then came home to those same communities with "spoils of war"??

The odds of "registering" all existing "long gun" weapons would be about 10,000 to 1, AT BEST.

JD

Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

NY state is realing making me mad this year