The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts - Page 21
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

another thing i hate about this legislation is the fact that the government is now telling me where i can and can't buy guns. yesterday i could buy a gun on gunbroker.com but today i can't? nearly every gun sold on that website requires a backgrounds check and an FFL on both ends to complete the transaction. It's akin to the governement telling citizens that they are not allowed to use Amazon or Ebay. it's nothing short of an abuse of power by mr. cuomo. even citizens that are not sympathetic to the cause of the 2nd ammendment should be alarmed by the speed and secrecy the state government employed to pass this legislation: no chance for debate; no opportunity for rebuttal; no forum for the public to voice their opinion. it's legislation without representation. Mr. Cuomo just slapped the Constitution in the face like it's some beeyotch. and all just to promote his personal politcal aspirations.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #202
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Every arrest and conviction that comes from this legislation should be carried to the Supreme Court. If Cuomo ends up with enough egg on his face he'll never be POTUS.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #203

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i live in the oppressed state of NY and I had this thought today: the holocaust could have been prevented if the Jews living in Nazi Germany in the 1930's and 40's were armed citizens. an armed citizenry is the best defense against acts of atrocities.

and another thing: where do almost all mass shooting and acts of violence take place? In places where guns are illegal and citizens are not allowed to arm themselves. it's a common thread in all these acts of evil and it is one that is going unreported by the media and unseen by the misinformed public. the fact is that criminals are cravens and they prey on the defenseless. Criminals are cowards and the thing they fear most is an armed citizen. disarmed the law abiding citizen and you empower the criminal.

Last edited by mannsdan; 01-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #204

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannsdan View Post
another thing i hate about this legislation is the fact that the government is now telling me where i can and can't buy guns. yesterday i could buy a gun on gunbroker.com but today i can't? nearly every gun sold on that website requires a backgrounds check and an FFL on both ends to complete the transaction. It's akin to the governement telling citizens that they are not allowed to use Amazon or Ebay. it's nothing short of an abuse of power by mr. cuomo. even citizens that are not sympathetic to the cause of the 2nd ammendment should be alarmed by the speed and secrecy the state government employed to pass this legislation: no chance for debate; no opportunity for rebuttal; no forum for the public to voice their opinion. it's legislation without representation. Mr. Cuomo just slapped the Constitution in the face like it's some beeyotch. and all just to promote his personal politcal aspirations.
Heavily disagree. We as responsible gun owners should uphold ther highest standards when buying/trading our firearms. You should ABSOLUTELY have to go through credible FFL's for any transaction. We are not dealing video games. The guy on the other end could be an animal ready to commit a crime.

VERY small price to pay to be in this club of ours. It prevents every lunatic in the country from legally buying one.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #205
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

As far as the magazine capacity issue, here in CA we have a 10-round maximum capacity for magazines. The New York law says you can have the hi-cap mags, but that you cannot load any more than 7 rounds into it. Contrast that to the CA law that says the mag must be unalterably pinned to accept no more than 10. There is a great deal more latitude there than we have.

Also, I know many, many people who own high-capacity magazines that they owned before the ban (for the most part. I am sure some of them arrived in CA after the ban but how is one to know?). The law say that we can still have them, but the cannot be used in any guns that were acquired after the ban. So I cannot put a 30-rounder that I have had for 30 years into a rifle I recently purchased.

The way that Californian gun owners approach this is to have all of these high-cap mags, but they are only to be used in a Constitutional emergency (or perhaps on gated remote private property). I have been shooting at ranges where nobody gives a crap, including LE who are there, how many frigging rounds your mag holds. I have been to the range many times with buddies who have these evil, illegal guns and mags and never once had a problem. One time one of the local SWAT teams was training there that day and asked if they could shoot my buddies pre-ban unregistered Colt AR and they said nothing except "Nice gun". I have LE buddies who say that is one of many laws that they would never make an arrest on unless the person had dug himself into a serious legal hole and there was either no helping them or they needed more charges to throw on him. There are exceptions, but that is pretty much how it is at least in this part of Cali.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #206
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 455 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
i live in the oppressed state of NY and I had this thought today: the holocaust could have been prevented if the Jews living in Nazi Germany in the 1930's and 40's were armed citizens. an armed citizenry is the best defense against acts of atrocities
I have read similar posts. That statement is rubbish if the Jews were armed it might of made it harder but not stoped it. It took the combined armies of the uk America and Russia to stop the Germain army some armed civilians would have being swatted like flies. PS Lets be realistic.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #207

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Heavily disagree. We as responsible gun owners should uphold ther highest standards when buying/trading our firearms. You should ABSOLUTELY have to go through credible FFL's for any transaction. We are not dealing video games. The guy on the other end could be an animal ready to commit a crime.

VERY small price to pay to be in this club of ours. It prevents every lunatic in the country from legally buying one.
Yes I agree. I am saying the same thing as you are. I have never bought anything on gunbroker without having to use FFL's on both sides of the transaction and having a criminal backgrounds check. Those checks should remain in place of course. But NY has made it illegal to purchase guns online regardless. I no longer can use gunbroker to legally purchase firearms. Now I must use a local gunshop and pay the exorbitant prices of the shop and on top of that i must also pay the excessive taxes my state imposes.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #208
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I have read similar posts. That statement is rubbish if the Jews were armed it might of made it harder but not stoped it. It took the combined armies of the uk America and Russia to stop the Germain army some armed civilians would have being swatted like flies. PS Lets be realistic.
The Jewish fathers probably would have felt a lot better about being shot down in a failed attempt to protect their families than they did watching their children being marched off to the "showers".

Let's also not discount the value of being inside or near high value targets; the UK, US, & Russia had to first invade; the resident Jews would have already been in a good position to launch attacks on parades, political offices, police stations, etc. The internal resistance in France did have some impact, from what i was told.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #209

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
at least you would have had a choice of defending yourself instead of getting on the train to Auschwitz.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #210

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I heard a rumor yesterday: Is it true that in their haste to save NY State's children from the perils of high capacity magazines, they forgot to exempt law enforcement from this idiocy... er I mean legislation?
so far I have yet to see anywhere in the bill that exempts LEO or Military ... this is what happens when Senators allow a Governor to slam through legislation with only 20 minutes of peer review.

I'll keep reading though

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD