The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts - Page 20
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Technically, if and when Congress passes any type of "gun control" law the NY law will become null and void and the limits imposed by federal law will be the only ones enforceable.
How's is that true? We have had the AWB in nys since 1994, if the Feds make a law more strict than the one we have now then yes it will be gone.. But if its less restrictive like 10rd mags instead of 7, then no we keep our law..

Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #192

Liked 4545 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
How's is that true? We have had the AWB in nys since 1994, if the Feds make a law more strict than the one we have now then yes it will be gone.. But if its less restrictive like 10rd mags instead of 7, then no we keep our law..
Yes...States rights magically can be more strict than federal law, but not less....how's that "states rights" thing working out for you now?

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #193

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Yes...States rights magically can be more strict than federal law, but not less....how's that "states rights" thing working out for you now?
IMHO this is the BIG problem right now. States Rights should ALWAYS trump Federal law but it just ain't working out that way and hasn't since the end of the War of Northern Aggression.
If things worked the way they were suppose to then the Feds would keep their nose out of internal U.S. affairs and only work on things outside of the Country like Treaties or collecting tariffs on imported goods. States would be Free to pass laws, collect local taxes(no Federal Tax, they're money would come from import tariffs like it was originally intended) and States would be able to take care of their people much better(because they're local) then the Federal government can do.
Also, if you didn't agree with a State law you'd be free to move to a State with laws that you did agree with so you'd vote with your pocket book by moving and taking your tax dollars with you.
This is the War Room!"
orangello Likes This 
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #194

Liked 520 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
My sister and her family are in your town and I'm nearby as well. They're already prepared for leaving this year to SC along with my parents. I wish I had bought a home their already. I'm retired LE and have a few handguns that may have to either be sent out from this state, or get confiscated. I've had my Browning HP T-Series for 42 years and used it as backup while patrolling. My Sig228 I got 25 years ago after retirement and mostly used this as my carry. Both have mag capacities over 10rds. My G27 that I got 5 years ago has a 9rd cap. I'm in a fix and having some bad nights unable to sleep.

I have no idea what Nassau County is planning for their pistol licensees, but even though the county executive is a repub doesn't ease my anxiety. Any law passed by the feds will be no where as bad as the one we have here now. States are within their rights to pass their own laws and gun owners here got our asses nailed to the wall. We have a newly elected senate that will be here for 2 years, but it makes no difference since there isn't a dime's worth of difference between the 2 parties.

When those jerks come around later this year with hat in hand asking for money to pay for their next election, I wonder what reception they'll be given. I'll tell them to go piss up a rope. Of course except for 18 repubs that have my respect and thanks the rest voted for this travesty. There will be changes to this law over the next 60 days but to what extent I can't say. I don't think they will help me personally. I wont hold my breath for anything that's earth shattering in our favor, but wheels are turning and rumors are flying. We can only wait and see, cause hundreds of thousands of us are being effected adversely.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 01-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #195

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesmar

Went in, created account, signed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75
http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/196500/413/Local-attorny-Plans-Lawsuit-Against-NY-Gun-Law

The lawyer in this article is preparing a class action suit against the Govenor's latest attack on the 2A and 5A rights of the residents of NY state. There is a link to his e-mail in the article. So far, over 10,000 New Yorkers have contacted him. Please add your names to this lawsuit.
Thanks a lot you guys every one person helps. As for that class action lawsuit ill check it out right now.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #196
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
Guess I'm trying to see both sides. Those who say that if the boy had needed to change clips, that bit of time may have mad a difference - I at least want to try to listen to them.
The 15 number sticks in my head because semi-auto handguns have been in that range for a long time.

I'm not sure if the government should have the RIGHT to do what it's doing, but I'm trying to think what might be reasonable if it turns out they do.
7 seems too restrictive.
Reasonable?
Let's look at the process here, shall we? For some time,10 round magazines have been considered "acceptable" ( or "reasonable" if you will) by the anti-gun bed wetters. Exactly what has changed that made 7 an acceptable number? How is it, 8 through 10 round magazines are suddenly too many rounds for polite society? What standard does one use to arrive at these numbers? Near as I can tell, it's bunch of idiot bed wetters with a dart board. One could just as well argue that 11 or 12 is perfectly "reasonable." "Reasonable" and these idiots have ever been in the same room together.

As a purely practical matter, who makes 7 round magazines for the vast number of guns now affected by this silliness?
EDIT-It begins:
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Spring_Follower-Kit-Wilson-7-rd-45-ACP-Full-Size-Magazine/productinfo/47SFK-7/?utm_source=Wilson+Combat+Newsletter&utm_campaign= 12127ccfad-mags_1_17_2012&utm_medium=email

I heard a rumor yesterday: Is it true that in their haste to save NY State's children from the perils of high capacity magazines, they forgot to exempt law enforcement from this idiocy... er I mean legislation?

Say, would my S&W 627 (8 shot .357 revolver) now be illegal under this law? It uses 8 round (moon, but not "assault") clips after all.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-17-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #197
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8845 Times on 5120 Posts
Likes Given: 11573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Reasonable?
Let's look at the process here, shall we? For some time,10 round magazines have been considered "acceptable" ( or "reasonable" if you will) by the anti-gun bed wetters. Exactly what has changed that made 7 an acceptable number? How is it, 8 through 10 round magazines are suddenly too many rounds for polite society? What standard does one use to arrive at these numbers? Near as I can tell, it's bunch of idiot bed wetters with a dart board. One could just as well argue that 11 or 12 is perfectly "reasonable." "Reasonable" and these idiots have ever been in the same room together.

As a purely practical matter, who makes 7 round magazines for the vast number of guns now affected by this silliness?
EDIT-It begins:
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Spring_Follower-Kit-Wilson-7-rd-45-ACP-Full-Size-Magazine/productinfo/47SFK-7/?utm_source=Wilson+Combat+Newsletter&utm_campaign= 12127ccfad-mags_1_17_2012&utm_medium=email

I heard a rumor yesterday: Is it true that in their haste to save NY State's children from the perils of high capacity magazines, they forgot to exempt law enforcement from this idiocy... er I mean legislation?

Say, would my S&W 627 (8 shot .357 revolver) now be illegal under this law? It used 8 round (moon, but not "assault") clips after all.
Revolvers do not have detachable magazines, nor do tube-fed lever guns. The law does not apply to them. (wonders when some inventor will come up with a fixed 100 round magazine to circumvent the law).

You can bet your last round that LE is "presumed exempt", or the final language will include that exemption. No way in Hell that they would let that one slip by and enforce it. I mean really? The cops are going to bust themselves in the line of duty? How's that gonna work?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #198

Liked 795 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero

Guess I'm trying to see both sides. Those who say that if the boy had needed to change clips, that bit of time may have mad a difference - I at least want to try to listen to them.
Considering the reason that the 2nd Amendment was written, that changing of magazines would be damn restrictive while the cops or UN are shooting at you. I'm personally cool with belt-fed... That's what could be used against us.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #199
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Actually, you can (I do) have multiple cylinders for single-action revolvers, and it takes only a few seconds to switch cylinders. But it's a little inconvenient to walk around with your pockets full of loaded cylinders. If somebody would be so kind as to make a belt with multiple pouches for cylinders it might help. I have a bunch of Ruger Blackhawks, Vaquero's, and Super Blackhawks. I'd carry them and 5 or 6 extra cylinders if the feds ban hi-cap magazines.
Also, I have a bunch of Charter Arms .44 spl Bulldogs, Since they are lightweight, I could carry 8 of them, for a total of 40 rounds. But I'd disappoint Obummer, because I still wouldn't commit mass mayhem.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 01-17-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #200

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Well I heard it said best from a retired Marine Captain.......

The second amendment was not written for hunting, rather it was written for the citizenry to protect themselves from a tyrannical government.

With the push from our current government to step on our second amendment rights and put restrictions on the rights of the law abiding citizenry to bear arms, I tend to see this move as tyrannical thus putting us exactly into the one position that allows us to enact the true purpose of the second amendment. Our founding fathers created this amendment because of the problems they incurred when they were attempting to stop the tyrannical rule of England over our newly established colonies. The government is intended to be by the people for the people, not the government doing what THEY think is right for the people. Psshh..... Please, we need to take every opportunity and pursue every avenue to try and stop the newly self appoint king if America from re-colonizing our country and establishing his own personal kingdom which is what this really is all about.

RagenFlac

-Gun control is sighting up your target and hitting the mark on your first shot.

AIKIJUTSU Likes This