The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts - Page 17
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
—Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.
Is this for rifles and handguns in NY? Or rifles only?

Thanks

Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #162

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11

It simply says that any weapon that was considered legal prior to the signing of this bill is required to now be registered. If not registered the individual in possession of it will be guilty of an "E" felony under the NYS Penal Law section 265.05. They are doing what NYC did many years ago. Once the weapon is registered it can be confiscated, or at the very least require it to be sold like they want to be done with high capacity mags currently in possession of residents.
* § 265.01-b Criminal possession of a firearm.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm when he or she:
(1) possesses any firearm or; (2) lawfully possesses a firearm prior to
the effective date of the chapter of the laws of two thousand thirteen
which added this section subject to the registration requirements of
subdivision sixteen-a of section 400.00 of this chapter and knowingly
fails to register such firearm pursuant to such subdivision.
Criminal possession of a firearm is a class E felony.
* NB Effective March 16, 2013

At bottom, does that mean you only have until march 16th 2013 for EVERYONE in the WHOLE state to register???? That's crazy..!

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 01-17-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #163

Liked 3739 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
Is this for rifles and handguns in NY? Or rifles only?

Thanks
any magazine of more than 7rds .... rifle, handgun, shotgun ... any firearm as defined by NYS

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #164

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
any magazine of more than 7rds .... rifle, handgun, shotgun ... any firearm as defined by NYS
Geesh. There are a ton of semi-auto pistols that have 13-15 shot mags. I had no idea that would affect them.

Might as well have a revolver then.

I think 15 rounds as a max would have been reasonable, for both rifles and handguns.

Is this ONLY for Magazines?

There are rifles - like Lever Action's - that have say 16 .22 rounds in a tube or 10 .357 rounds in a tube. Are they affected?

Last edited by SubZero; 01-17-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #165

Quote:
I think 15 rounds as a max would have been reasonable, for both rifles and handguns.
Why?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 01-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #166

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Why?
Semi-Auto pistols have had a level near that for a long time, and I don't see how a 15 shot mag for an assault rifle would be a terribly burdensome limit, though I could well be naive about special cases.

I think 7 is pretty restrictive for both pistols and for assault rifles.

Do you not?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #167

Quote:
Semi-Auto pistols have had a level near that for a long time, and I don't see how a 15 shot mag for an assault rifle would be a terribly burdensome limit, though I could well be naive about special cases.

I think 7 is pretty restrictive for both pistols and for assault rifles.

Do you not?
I asked why you felt a 15rd limit was "reasonable" I don't feel it's reasonable to impose any limits ... it's none of the Gov't business how many rounds my rifle or handgun holds! Furthermore, there is NO scientific evidence of ANY kind that supports the notion that magazine capacity has any correlation to criminal activity!

Magazine limit laws are a useless result from the minds of useless people

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

buckhuntr Likes This 
Old 01-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #168

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I asked why you felt a 15rd limit was "reasonable" I don't feel it's reasonable to impose any limits ... it's none of the Gov't business how many rounds my rifle or handgun holds! Furthermore, there is NO scientific evidence of ANY kind that supports the notion that magazine capacity has any correlation to criminal activity!

Magazine limit laws are a useless result from the minds of useless people
Guess I'm trying to see both sides. Those who say that if the boy had needed to change clips, that bit of time may have mad a difference - I at least want to try to listen to them.

The 15 number sticks in my head because semi-auto handguns have been in that range for a long time.

I'm not sure if the government should have the RIGHT to do what it's doing, but I'm trying to think what might be reasonable if it turns out they do.

7 seems too restrictive.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 AM   #169

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I moved to WNY and lived there for 7 months. My AR was illegal then and I couldn't really take it out and shoot it had 4 of the "assault rifle" features, bayo lug, flash supressor, collapable stock and pistol grip. When I heard this, I put it in the basement (with a loaded 30 round pre-ban magazine) I moved back to NC and it is legal in every way, I haven't needed to register it and can hunt with it, plink with it and keep it next to my bed for bumps in the night. I loved Western New York and called it sportsman's paradise. The hunting and Fishing there is excellent but the laws, well everything past 50 miles of NYC is completely different from the big apple. F NYC, F NY gun laws and F the govenor. He runs the National Guard and if I was a Guardsman in NY,( I am a Guardsman in NC) I would have a serious issue with my state commander in chief. "all enemies foreign and domestic" I swore an oath to defend the Constitution.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #170

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

One thing I don't like, and am confused by, is how States can make more restrictive laws than the current Federal laws.

Since it is a 2nd amendment issue in the US Constitution, I had thought it would be under federal purview.