Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/new-york-gun-control-provisions-expected-passed-monday-cover-several-fronts-81361/)

Bigcountry02 01-15-2013 03:23 AM

The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts

FYI

The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Gun-Control-Assault-Weapons-Ban-Magazines-Limit-Cuomo-NY-186794151.html

The provisions discussed in private conferences were confirmed to The Associated Press by five officials, Republicans and Democrats, in the Assembly and the Senate. The proposals would:

—Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features.

—Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.

—Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.

—Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.

—Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

—Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.

—Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

—Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.

—Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property.

—Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law.

The proposal comes as Republican state Sen. Greg Ball criticized The Journal News newspaper for identifying pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties based on a FOIL request.

The officials requested anonymity because lawmakers hadn't yet signed off on some provisions

JonM 01-15-2013 03:31 AM

looks like violent crime is about to explode through the roof in new york. we have seen how well gun bans work in chitcago ca and dc

gunsmoke11 01-15-2013 04:20 AM

It's great that the republicans will sell us out in order to say they passed a law that prevents gun owner's names from being published. My sister and her family bought a place in Bluffton SC as well as my elderly parents and they've been telling me to go down there too. It's hard to leave kids and grand kids, as well as friends, but sometimes leaving is the only choice. When their homes are sold this year they'll be gone from this hell hole. I wanted to leave years ago, but this legislation will be the final straw. Being retired LE I've always tried to obey the law, but registration will mean eventual confiscation and total ban of certain weapons like NYC did. This country is turning into three things, bi-lingual, bi-sexual and bi-polar.

robertusa123 01-15-2013 11:12 AM

i like how they arent " confusateing" hi cap mags you are just forced to sell them is the goverment going to force me to sell my suv out of state next baning internet sales is also a violaction of interstate commeres what is unsafe storage of a weppen anyway the 2nd admendent foundation should have fun with this law hassent passed yet thow

WebleyFosbery38 01-15-2013 11:21 AM

F Those Corksocking Futher Mucking Bastiges!!!!!!

TexasGunner 01-15-2013 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
F Those Corksocking Futher Mucking Bastiges!!!!!!

Absolutely!

Attachment 79792

Gone_South 01-15-2013 12:45 PM

Unbelievable.

hockeyjr1 01-15-2013 12:47 PM

I really gotta move..... Can't take it much longer..

coonbait 01-15-2013 12:54 PM

they are just turning alot of law abiding people into criminals. and to think that they are going to stop crazy people from doing crazy things. all they are doing is trying to advance there political careers.

StainlessSteel215 01-15-2013 01:29 PM

Mags limited to 7 rounds??

Well NY, I foresee a massive explosion in revolver sales. OR a mass exodus. Or protests. Or all 3