New poll on British gun laws - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

New poll on British gun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 88 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post

Im sure your right, I watched too many old mob flicks! It just seems odd that the Brits have a sense of concern for hearing protection but not defending human life.
That's because the police focus on public order over individual rights.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Manta... I would bet that the the "definition" of "intentional homicide" you provide above would also cover every US shooting death that is later found to be "justified".

I understand that the description says "unlawful" but despite the our shared common law ideal of "innocent until proven guilty"... the fact remains that EVERY shooting death is just the opposite. All of them begin as a "homicide investigation" and some are "later" determined to be justifiable self defense.

Even LEO's are pulled off the street, put on administrative leave, and made to surrender there duty weapon until the investigation is complete.

...so I don't have a lot of confidence in those figures.

We can all agree that the US gun death rate is higher than the UK and Western Europe for that matter... but the US population is also higher and we have many more "large" population centers. I'm pretty sure that 99% of gun homicides occur in Cities larger than 250,000 inhabitants.

I don't recall the total large city figures but they've been posted here before and clearly demonstrate that comparing the US to the UK in this manner is a bit like comparing the worlds only remaining Empire... to a village of peasants armed with sticks...

Yep... the empire is going to have more gun death... but our overall risk of violent attack is much lower and for those of us NOT slinging crack and meth in large urban centers... it's practically non existent.

Tack
I think it's really difficult to get accurate like for like stats since both govs use the figures differently.

The US tends to record worst case where we record best case so they can tell us all what a wonderful job their doing for us so there's no need for self defence.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Silencers are legal for hunting in many U.S. states. I have never known of one used in a crime. My state allows all hunting with a suppressor rabbit to bears and elk.
In 1935 the Left went nutts with their gun control laws. They included hand guns with shoulder stocks?? And "Silincers" neither of which were used in crimes even then.
Suppressors also make it harder to conceal, you wouldn't want to be caught screwing one on either

Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #54

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I thought this was a international forum and open to all views. As for me not living in America there are plenty of posts regarding the UK on the forum. I have no problems with people that don't live in the UK commenting on it even tough I might not agree.
OH... Don't EVEN try the "help help I'm being repressed" victim card with me!!
I NEVER said you couldn't express your opinion .... I asked WHY are you doing it?? Considering you don't have a dog in this fight what exactly is the reason ?? Possible... trolling ???

Sorry buddy!! Not taking your baiting anymore!! I AM DONE at this pub!! Enjoy you're warm beer, and Monarchal taxes and laws!!

PS- Think a gun would have helped this poor guy??; http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/tower_soldier_slain_london_london_SneOVvGJFJnEDN9q d90CfL

Old 05-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #55

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
We can all agree that the US gun death rate is higher than the UK and Western Europe for that matter... but the US population is also higher and we have many more "large" population centers.
The U.S. gun death rate was also higher in the 19th century - when neither the U.S. nor Britain had any gun control laws. Is it really all that significant that it still is?

This is a list of UNODC murder (intentional homicide) rates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

The U.S. is tied with Thailand. Is that good? Probably not, but it's hardly a show-stopper, either. BTW, your murder rate is about 1/5 of the rate in Mexico, where guns are virtually banned.

A comparison of violent crime rates gives a more accurate picture, IMO, because there seems to be less playing around with the numbers.

Even there, though, it bears watching. Several years ago, for example, I was pointing out that Nova Scotia had the highest violent crime rate of any Province or State in North America except for the District of Columbia, which doesn't really count because it's not a State. I guess others picked up on it because now Nova Scotia changed the way they track that statistic and they don't include as many kinds of violent crime any more.

I determined for myself years ago that every western Canadian Province has a higher murder rate than all of the bordering States except those States which then had gun bans as well as gang/drug/slum issues - Ill and NY. Even today, I am nearly 2x as safe in MT as I am in AB; although I can buy a pistol at the grocery store in Kalispell and carry it but have to get the Pope's approval to buy one in AB and then can only take to a range and back home. It's an interesting topic, to say the least.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that 99% of gun homicides occur in Cities larger than 250,000 inhabitants.
In fact, I believe that around 50% of your homicides are committed in 6 cities.

Last edited by Rocky7; 05-31-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 838 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Sorry buddy!! Not taking your baiting anymore!! I AM DONE at this pub!! Enjoy you're warm beer, and Monarchal taxes and laws!!
We don't drink warm beer in this part of the UK.
Quote:
Monarchal taxes and laws!!
You have lost me with that one.
Quote:
I asked WHY are you doing it?? Considering you don't have a dog in this fight what exactly is the reason ??
Why are you talking about a British soldier killed in London you don't have a dog in that fight.
Quote:
OH... Don't EVEN try the "help help I'm being repressed" victim card with me!!
You have lost me with that one as well who's being repressed.

Quote:
PS- Think a gun would have helped this poor guy??;
No because he was run over with a car and probably unconscious. I am not sure what that has to do with anything anyway I don't see were I said that carrying firearms would not help in certain situations plenty here conceal carry firearms.

Quote:
If you can believe this poll, the folks in England are not all that happy with the current gun laws. Maybe they should chat with Piers Morgan about this.
The original post above.
Quote:
Considering you don't have a dog in this fight what exactly is the reason ??
Do I have to spell it out to you why coming from the UK I might have a interest in the post.

Quote:
Sorry buddy!! Not taking your baiting anymore!! I AM DONE at this pub!!
That's probably a good idea.

Last edited by manta; 05-31-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
...Even today, I am nearly 2x as safe in MT as I am in AB; although I can buy a pistol at the grocery store in Kalispell and carry it but have to get the Pope's approval to buy one in AB and then can only take to a range and back home. It's an interesting topic, to say the least....
I gotta wonder, what kind of crazy, ghettorific shortcuts you guys are taking to and from the range.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #58

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I gotta wonder, what kind of crazy, ghettorific shortcuts you guys are taking to and from the range.
I guess sometimes a guy might take the scenic route, .....accidentally.