New poll on British gun laws - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > New poll on British gun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Even certain dogs are banned under the dangerous dogs act. But lets get things in perspective I haven't being attacked or burgled or any of my friends or acquaintances so carrying anything for self defence would be well down my priority list.
I guess at least, a "dangerous dog" ban applies to something that could, under certain circumstances occasionally encountered in the real world, be dangerous WITHOUT the owner/user intending it to be dangerous.

Maybe I could get a really pissed off Chihuahua with dental implants?

M, I know you live in a very different place, but I feel compelled to E-scream the following: Know anybody well with HIV? But you still use condoms/safe sex, right? Ever drowned? But you still use lifejackets when boating, right? Ever been killed in a car accident? But you still wear seat belts, right? etc. Caution isn't seen as worthwhile until it is too late for caution to do any good. Maybe you could find a nice walking cane to carry with you?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 388 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Caution isn't seen as worthwhile until it is too late for caution to do any good. Maybe you could find a nice walking cane to carry with you
I agree its good to use common sense to be cautious and take sensible precautions. But I don't think that its a good idea when some get carried away and it effects every day life negatively. There is a happy medium with everything. When I read about taking firearms into the shower and carrying two firearms and two knifes I think they are getting the balance wrong when you look at the odds of being attacked.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Manta is an example of British defeatism. I am OK so who needs Freedom? After spending time in England I do agree with him. The English will never allow access to personal protection.
I call it being realistic I am not sure about America but politicians in the UK if there is no votes in it for them it won't happen. And shooting in the UK is very much a minority pursuit compared with America so most of the population are anti gun or don't care either way.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am a Brit living in Vancouver, BC Canada for past thirty years ( so I am undoubtedly out of touch ).

I am going back to the UK in June, for the first time in 30 years. I am interested in hearing about their views on firearms ownership and defense.

Oh and please don't try to send Piers Morgan back to England (or to Canada!), as he is not really popular generally. I imagine Americans have their own black sheep, Piers Morgan is ours. Perhaps the Falklands......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
If you can believe this poll, the folks in England are not all that happy with the current gun laws. Maybe they should chat with Piers Morgan about this.

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/3644/britain_wants_its_guns_back

Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I am going back to the UK in June, for the first time in 30 years. I am interested in hearing about their views on firearms ownership and defense.
What questions do you have and I will try to answer them.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I understand your comment about the reality, in response to other comments. It is also more of a gun culture in North America (nothing wrong with that)

Other Brits have told me that there are almost 4 million registered guns in England, compared to hundreds of millions in the US.

I have also been told that silencers are available to firearms owners in the UK... don't really understand why, if the other laws are so restrictive?

Are any handguns allowed? How are long guns purchased? regulated? background checks? licensing? ability to transport etc? gun club membership needed?

Quote:
What questions do you have and I will try to answer them.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I have also been told that silencers are available to firearms owners in the UK... don't really understand why, if the other laws are so restrictive?
Silencers are available for rifles, usual reason health and safety ( hearing ) and not disturbing live stock.

Quote:
Are any handguns allowed? How are long guns purchased? regulated? background checks? licensing? ability to transport etc? gun club membership needed?
Black powder handguns are allowed in England Scotland and wales and some 9mm etc for humane dispatch when hunting.
Any rifle can be got for hunting and target shooting single shot only except .22 are allowed in semi auto. You have to apply for a firearms certificate for the firearm. There are background checks for criminal convictions and mental health issues. All firearms country to some beliefs have to be kept at the owners address in a approved gun safe. When transporting firearms they have to be stored out of sight.
You don't have to be in a club to own a firearm, In N Ireland all types handguns are legal but you have to be in a firearms club to get one it to is kept at the owners address.

Last edited by manta; 05-30-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #18

Liked 4716 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Quote:
I call it being realistic I am not sure about America but politicians in the UK if there is no votes in it for them it won't happen. And shooting in the UK is very much a minority pursuit compared with America so most of the population are anti gun or don't care either way.
With the exception of the "occasional" white kid going off his meds... shootings are very much a "minority pursuit" here as well... unless it's one of us shooting in self defense.

We may have more total "shootings" but our violent crime rate is much lower that England's...

Tack
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcshadow View Post
I am a Brit living in Vancouver, BC Canada for past thirty years ( so I am undoubtedly out of touch ).

Oh and please don't try to send Piers Morgan back to England (or to Canada!), as he is not really popular generally. I imagine Americans have their own black sheep, Piers Morgan is ours. Perhaps the Falklands......?
What did the fine folks of the Falklands ever do to you to wish something that horrible on them?

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #20

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
We may have more total "shootings" but our violent crime rate is much lower that England's...

Tack
I'd be careful giving ground on even that, Tack. I believe shootings of criminals as well as suicides by gun are usually all lumped into the total of U.S. "gun homicides".

The gun controllers are real slippery with their numbers.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

texaswoodworker Likes This