Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > New Mexico - Court Expands police right to take guns from cars!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1410 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 2873

Default New Mexico - Court Expands police right to take guns from cars!

Never heard anything in the news and this pops up! NM AG Gary King (D) applauded the courts unanimous ruling. I wonder how many of the NM Supreme Court Justices were appointed by former Gov. Bill Richardson?

Court expands police right to take guns from cars - NewsTimes

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Police can remove a gun from a car during a traffic stop to ensure their safety even when they have no specific suspicion that the occupants are dangerous and pose a threat, the state Supreme Court concluded in a ruling welcomed by law enforcement.

Protecting the safety of law enforcement officers justifies removal of a gun that's in the plain sight of police, the justices said, and temporarily taking the gun does not violate an individual's constitutional protections against an unreasonable search and seizure.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #2

Default Think I will...

Thankfully it is easy enough for me to steer clear of New Mexico!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4469 Times on 2357 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Actually i dont have a huge problem with a citizen having a firearm taken during a traffic stop then returned. Traffic stops can easily escalate through self rightousness of the officer or citizen. The citizen can complain and sue later the officer cant to get his/her life back.

Ive done my share of traffic stops i was thankful the offender did not have a weapon.

If the police are taking guns just to take em as a harrassment thats an issue. But reading the story it doesnt appear to be the case nor does the ruling appear to give the po-po that power.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

What is the problem with temporarily securing the firearm until the contact is over? That has been the law in Texas since the Concealed Carry Law took effect.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

As long as it is returned at the conclusion of the traffic stop I don't see what the big deal is.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I agree. As long as the firearm is returned at the conclusion of the traffic stop there shouldnt be a problem. I can see how someone w/ an illegal firearm (not registered properly, stolen, etc.) might not like this law.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I can see how someone w/ an illegal firearm (not registered properly, stolen, etc.) might not like this law.
And there ya have it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5639 Times on 3316 Posts
Likes Given: 4741

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
As long as it is returned at the conclusion of the traffic stop I don't see what the big deal is.
As long as the firearm is returned in the same condition it was removed in, no problem. Also, this shouldn't apply to any firearm that isn't "readily accessable", IMO.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Well, there you go.
Round 1 has begun.
And the reverberating effect will manifest a round 2 in some other state.
Then the federal government will ban guns from ever being owned again.
Thus will begin the erosion and finality of our 2nd ammendment rights.
(If we allow it)

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

There seems to be pretty widespread approval that an armed man (a cop) may disarm another man (you) for no other reason than the first armed man feels uncomfortable or threatened in some way because the other man is armed.

Sorry guys but that's crap. It doesn't matter if the whole ticket-writing process is congenial and you get your firearm back promptly. By handing over your firearm for no reason whatsoever establishes that government may disarm you at will and you're OK with that. You can try to justify it any way you like. "Oh, it's not that. See, the cops just want to feel safe and I want to prove that I'm no threat, blah, blah, blah." That doesn't flush. No offense to any specific individual intended, but what some folks wrote in support of this is extremely disappointing.