New Here! Just Seeking Advice!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > New Here! Just Seeking Advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Here! Just Seeking Advice!

Hello! My name is Brian and I'm 22 years old from New Jersey. I've grown up around all sorts of firearms and have handled a few when I was in my teens ((Private property, adult supervision, safety etc.)) and have always had an absolute blast with it!

I hunted for about 4 years, but never had anything beyond my shotgun permit to hunt. Right now I'm looking into attempting to be able to purchase and fire a gun legally for target shooting, but I have no idea where to start or what sort of information will be required!

I was told to go to my local police station to register, but I've had friends have bad luck with my town's police and ended up never hearing back from them. I've also read up that you pretty much have one shot at this and if you make any sort of mistakes they will never forget it and you will never legally own a firearm ever!

I'm just looking for a bump in the right direction and hopefully some of you can offer me some information as to what I should do.
I'm mainly looking for a permit/license for a handgun, for the purpose of target shooting.

-Brian

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1389

Hydranis,

I would recomend a 22 cal pistol with 5 or 6 inch Barrel. There are many good semi-auto 22 target pistols on the market. Ruger, Browning, S&W and others. If you find a good used High Standard Target Pistol they are excellent also. You can see a lot of the above mentioned pistols on Gun Broker.com. Or by Googling the company's web page. Most have what we call bull or heavy barrels and when you become proficient are very accurate. Not to mention the cost of ammunition is reasonable for the 22 cal., and readily available anywhere. "Good Luck" Maybe someday you can move out of NJ and get some of your American freedom back!

Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to the FTF Brian, when you get a chance, head over to the introduction section if you haven't already, and introduce yourself.

This is what I found online for starters, you can google "buying a handgun in New jersey" and a bunch of info should come up for you.

This thread is to document my "wonderful" upcoming experience purchasing a firearm in the Nazi state of NJ...

I went to Rays sport shop (local gun/sporting goods place) this morning, I spoke to a nice guy about purchasing a hand gun, first thing he asked was if I had a purchasing permit.. well no, of course I don't... He then proceeded to tell me what I needed to do to obtain one. Simple enough, go to my local PD and retrieve the application. Simple right? ha! nope.. Upon retrieving the paper work for a purchasing permit, I ALSO need to have a Firearms ID card, so I can buy AMMO! after all what good is a gun with out ammo.. Turns out our WONDERFUL Governor Corzine passed a law stating I had to do so, it used to be those who need shotgun/rifle ammo needed the id card.. now mind you folks, Governor Corzine is also be looked at by the Obama campaign to be a financial adviser.. he has screwed up NJ more then anyone ever has.. so pray he doesn't get a seat in the white house... Anyway.. I hop on over to SPPD to obtain my paper work, Lady was very nice, looked at me wierd after I told her what I wanted, but she was nice enough to explain to me what else I needed to do.. Here's the break down,

Firearms ID card - $5.00
Permit to purchase a handgun - $2.00 EACH..
State police (for background check) - $60.25

Now, here's the kicker, after I go through all that, I only have 30 days, yes 30 DAYS! to purchase a handgun.. after that, I have to pay another $15.00 to get rechecked..

I have to also make an appointment to get fingerprinted, no big deal though..

Now, I work for a security company, I'm state certified by the STATE POLICE.... They say it takes roughly 3 months from day of completion to get the permit and ID card, I'm hoping because of my yearly background checks, my finger prints already in the system and the company I work for, that this whole stupid process goes quickly.. Oh almost forgot, even though I get the permit (if I do) I STILL need to do another background check at the store when I purchase my gun.... Who else has it this hard to purchase a gun? I'm going to inquire about ccw as well, but I know I wont get that..

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Hydranis,

I would recomend a 22 cal pistol with 5 or 6 inch Barrel. There are many good semi-auto 22 target pistols on the market. Ruger, Browning, S&W and others. If you find a good used High Standard Target Pistol they are excellent also. You can see a lot of the above mentioned pistols on Gun Broker.com. Or by Googling the company's web page. Most have what we call bull or heavy barrels and when you become proficient are very accurate. Not to mention the cost of ammunition is reasonable for the 22 cal., and readily available anywhere. "Good Luck" Maybe someday you can move out of NJ and get some of your American freedom back!
Thanks for the recommendation. I already have ideas about what I want to shoot, it's the process of legally owning one which is my problem. I don't know where to start!

Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Welcome to the FTF Brian, when you get a chance, head over to the introduction section if you haven't already, and introduce yourself.

This is what I found online for starters, you can google "buying a handgun in New jersey" and a bunch of info should come up for you.

This thread is to document my "wonderful" upcoming experience purchasing a firearm in the Nazi state of NJ...

I went to Rays sport shop (local gun/sporting goods place) this morning, I spoke to a nice guy about purchasing a hand gun, first thing he asked was if I had a purchasing permit.. well no, of course I don't... He then proceeded to tell me what I needed to do to obtain one. Simple enough, go to my local PD and retrieve the application. Simple right? ha! nope.. Upon retrieving the paper work for a purchasing permit, I ALSO need to have a Firearms ID card, so I can buy AMMO! after all what good is a gun with out ammo.. Turns out our WONDERFUL Governor Corzine passed a law stating I had to do so, it used to be those who need shotgun/rifle ammo needed the id card.. now mind you folks, Governor Corzine is also be looked at by the Obama campaign to be a financial adviser.. he has screwed up NJ more then anyone ever has.. so pray he doesn't get a seat in the white house... Anyway.. I hop on over to SPPD to obtain my paper work, Lady was very nice, looked at me wierd after I told her what I wanted, but she was nice enough to explain to me what else I needed to do.. Here's the break down,

Firearms ID card - $5.00
Permit to purchase a handgun - $2.00 EACH..
State police (for background check) - $60.25

Now, here's the kicker, after I go through all that, I only have 30 days, yes 30 DAYS! to purchase a handgun.. after that, I have to pay another $15.00 to get rechecked..

I have to also make an appointment to get fingerprinted, no big deal though..

Now, I work for a security company, I'm state certified by the STATE POLICE.... They say it takes roughly 3 months from day of completion to get the permit and ID card, I'm hoping because of my yearly background checks, my finger prints already in the system and the company I work for, that this whole stupid process goes quickly.. Oh almost forgot, even though I get the permit (if I do) I STILL need to do another background check at the store when I purchase my gun.... Who else has it this hard to purchase a gun? I'm going to inquire about ccw as well, but I know I wont get that..
Thanks! Going to look into it further. I posted this exact post in the intro section and a nice moderator moved it to here for me.

Sounds like a big pain in the ass, but then again... not a single damn thing in New Jersey is easy to accomplish. I had to switch out an aftermarket INTAKE in my car because it was deemed illegal in the state of New Jersey and California.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Good luck I wish you well in your quest to have what most of us have...freedom to buy and carry guns.

Again, welcome and join in whenever you get the urge.

PS: I once had to get a smog inspection on a car to take it out of California moving it permanently to Michigan. $$$$$ is all they care about.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 07-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #7

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydranis View Post
Thanks! Going to look into it further. I posted this exact post in the intro section and a nice moderator moved it to here for me.
I copied your post here, its still in the intro section too.

And watch the "nice moderator" stuff! I've got an immage to uphold!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Cane is a nice guy! Cane is a nice guy!!!

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #9

Liked 398 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Cane is a nice guy! Cane is a nice guy!!!
*gasps*

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 07-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Besides checking with the nice folks that run local gun shops, you could also check with your STATE rifle Association- folks tend to overlook them, and they are wired in to local procedures pretty well.

However, the only REAL help for you can be found at Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com®. After you SELL any property in Jersey, BUY a place in a gun friendly state (many of them are South of DC). Then check on line for UHaul dealers in your area.........

PS welcome to the forum- I DO feel your pain. Will still heckle you, but I feel your pain.

PPS- what is a "shotgun permit"? We don't have those here........

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.