Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > New gun control bill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default New gun control bill

Carolyn McCarthy of the barrel shroud/"that shoulder thing that goes up" fame immediately injects politics into the tragedy. Apparently, she must have been distracted when the Second Amendment was read the other day.

source

One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday targeting the high-capacity ammunition the gunman used.

Many said that people with a history of mental instability, like the alleged shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, should not be able to buy a gun — and no one should be able to buy stockpiles of ammunition used by the 22-year-old assailant.

Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.

Another vocal supporter for gun control, Illinois Rep. Mike Quigley, told POLITICO that he hopes “something good” can come from the Arizona tragedy – perhaps discussion on a new assault weapon ban, sales at gun shows and tracing measures.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #2

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

This was to be expected, the question is, "will our hired officals in office go along with it or not?" If they vote for it them we need to get rid of them next election.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #3

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.
So this could be considered "threatening" against a federal official??

*insert picture of middle finger here*

Last edited by Dillinger; 01-10-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: OPEN FORUM dude - Can't have it.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
So this could be considered "threatening" against a federal official??

*insert picture of middle finger here*
to a liberal just voting for the other guy is a death threat. asking politely for lower taxes is hate speach.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by Dillinger; 01-10-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well i just put this on my face book. I have a couple friends who vote democrat.

There may be some "french" sprinkled in here i cant remember.

"Thats right, all of you who voted democrat. You just keep doing that, lets see how many rights they can trounce before Obama gets the boot. I especially love the part about making laws against "language and symbols". Yeah lets take the first and second ammendment and throw them out the window. I guess being forced to actually read the Constitution (probably the first time too) got the liberals and dumbassocrats fired up. I guess i need to buy all my high cap mags now huh? That will, of course, automatically make me a psychotic lunatic overwhelmed by a blood lust right? .... I love how democrats can convince themselves that 1 person out of 90 million is more than enough justify legislating the 90 million. That is their motto though isnt it? Make the majority suffer because of the minority. Atleast they are consistant."

...I'm too angry right now if I type more its going to be an unintelligible slush of vulgarities.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #6

Liked 663 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

As soon as I heard about government officials, kids, and parents getting gunned down on the news it was pretty clear what the next step was going to be for them.

How can they really ingnor the first two Amendments though???

Quote:
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

All things considered, I guess this was really just little more than a hate speech.

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Last edited by CourtJester; 01-10-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yes, the left once again gets to define the terms and we have to justify ourselves. The left claims the moral high ground, but they are anything but moral.

The other day Harry Reid said that the Tea Party will just fade away. That leftist thinks the Tea Party is strictly a reaction to the economy. I don't know about you, but to me it's about much more than the economy.

It will get worse, stay alert, vocal and politically active. If we lose more rights, they are not easily restored.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 27

It's funny, my 16 year old daughter and I were getting ready to walk out the door when we heard Harry Reid make the comment about the Tea Party. The two of us ended up having quite the discussion about his thoughts. We both came to the conclusion that he just doesn't get it. While I am sure everyone would like to see the economy pick up and unemployment drop, that has little to do with what has gone on over the past couple of years.

Consider the legislative bribery and shenanigans that took place in order for the health care bill to be forced down the throats of first Congress then the people of the U.S.

Consider a deficit that is staggering and incomprehensible in size.

Consider the fabrications and outright lies to get TARP, bail out money, and other financial bills pushed through to skyrocket said debt.

Consider the willingness to bypass and ignore Congress, ruling by the decree of Executive Order and the regulatory process.

I was concerned about the loss of freedoms under the Patriot Act. This administration,with its plethora of independent "czars," and those like Mr. Reid that support it have me scared. As the Declaration of Independence put it:

Quote:
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.
Come to think of it, in looking at the Declaration, it seems the Federal government has, or would like to:

Quote:
[combine] with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws

* * *[impose] Taxes on us without our Consent

* * *abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

* * *and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1698 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 3474

I check the Congressional website for any new bills reference to Gun Control or anything else that might be under cover. Nothing!

Check this poll out and vote:

Special Report w/ Bret Baier - FoxNews.com

Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
I check the Congressional website for any new bills reference to Gun Control or anything else that might be under cover. Nothing!
McCarthy's (and others') sabre-rattling might be nothing but b.s. or they might yet whip up some bills. Keep your eyes open. Maybe we'll see some bad stuff come through and maybe we won't.