Need urgent advice from Chicago people - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Need urgent advice from Chicago people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You can have the flash hider switched to a compenasator, and then get it pinned on(rmoves flashhider and threaded barrel)

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 12-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #12

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Still the average cop is no gun expert and probably doesn't know anything regarding civilian gun owner rights. I don't want to have my rifle taken away because it looks like an assault rifle and take it to court to prove that the rifle indeed uses detachable magazines but none of the other things listed and that therefore it's not an assault gun. When calling the Police Department you get everything from "you can't own a gun" to "everything is legal". They don't know crap and you're supposed to know better than them in the court of law, BS.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #13

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom
Still the average cop is no gun expert and probably doesn't know anything regarding civilian gun owner rights. I don't want to have my rifle taken away because it looks like an assault rifle and take it to court to prove that the rifle indeed uses detachable magazines but none of the other things listed and that therefore it's not an assault gun. When calling the Police Department you get everything from "you can't own a gun" to "everything is legal". They don't know crap and you're supposed to know better than them in the court of law, BS.
Yeah I understand... it's much the same in California.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #14

Cook county does have a ban, but there are home rule municipalities. I know that Des Plaines is one of them, no AWB there.

To make Chicago ordinance even worse, it gives them the power to just declare any gun "unsafe". So even if you follow all the rules the city can still say no to you owning a gun legally. They even went so far as to deny a fixed magazine SKS. It had to go to court for the city to be told to play by the rules that they made.

I'm moving out of Chicago as soon as I can.

Stay safe, stay prepared

Old 12-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #15

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
Really?
um, maybe you can bring a "blackhawk down" dvd to court with you to help show the judge an M1A isn't an assualt rifle. If you're going to rely or expect to be able to rely on any LEO's, especially ones at a desk answering phones, to educate you on what is legal and what isnt, i suspect there is a handful of BS in your future. A police officer, bogged down with the usual city drama, is going to stick their neck giving legal advice over the phone to a stranger, about firearm possession no less....C'mon son?

more likely they break into a dance set from Cop Rock....

think about it.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Your rifle has a detachable mag so that is one. That looks like a muzzle brake not a flash suppressor. I take it the barrel is threaded for the brake so that would be number two. Can you make the muzzle brake non detachable and would that make it legal?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #17

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
Cook county does have a ban, but there are home rule municipalities. I know that Des Plaines is one of them, no AWB there.
Des Plaines likely did that to prevent their long time business resident Maxon's (local gunstore and indoor rifle range) from having to vacate the county to stay in business.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8098 Times on 4676 Posts
Likes Given: 10452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
I don't think I've seen anything in the Chicago ordinance about the .308 Winchester being an outlawed caliber, but the city pretty much has a stranglehold on everybody with their "assault weapon" definition. It has a bayonet mount, doesn't it? I think that they are classifying it as an assault weapon.

According to Chicago https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPath/About%20CPD/Firearm%20Registration/handgun-registration-20B-with-offender-registry.pdf

“Assault weapon” means:
(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock
(ii) a handgun grip which protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
(iii) a bayonet mount
(iv) a flash suppressor or a barrel having a threaded muzzle
(v) a grenade launcher; or

(2) A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following: (i) a folding or telescoping stock
(ii) a handgun grip which protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(3) A semiautomatic handgun that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the handgun outside the handgun grip
(ii) a barrel having a threaded muzzle
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the handgun is unloaded
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

Stay safe, stay prepared
This is pretty close to the statewide ban in place in CA. The magazine can be made "non detachable" so it requires a "tool" to be removed. That's what they do here. The "tool" can be the point of a bullet that fits into the recessed mag release. The muzzle break can be pinned as well, making it non-removable negating the threaded muzzle rule.

A cop might very well confiscate it out of ignorance and you would no doubt never get it back once it leaves your possession (common happening here in CA I am told.) In addition to that you would have to deal with the legal nightmare of fighting the charges.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #19

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

sorry for bump.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5926 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 6285

I feel your pain 2nd A, Im a New Yorker imprisoned by a city I never even visit! I believe your allowed to have a slingshot as long as you only have three rocks in your pocket but they have to be round so as not to produce undue injury to the perpetrator of a crime your trying to survive! Its advisable to have a Victims Health Insurance policy because fighting back can exempt you from normal coverage from your HMO. If your prepared to Die in Place, you get the keys to the city....