Need urgent advice from Chicago people
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Need urgent advice from Chicago people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Need urgent advice from Chicago people

Hey everyone,
I was disgusted when I called the FFL from which I was gonna transfer my new M1A and got told that it was illegal within the city limits. I thought I had done enough research and read all the State and City police documents and nowhere did I read anything regarding caliber restrictions. There is so much confusion and ambiguous language and "you should have known better" in this damn city it's not even funny. You talk to different people and you hear different things.
I'd like to hear from people who live in the city.
Thanks.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7315 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 8971

I can't help you as I don't know anything about Chicago's gun laws. But I am interested. Can you tell me more? Like what caliber is your gun? Can you post a picture of it? I live in Illinois but in DeKalb County and our rules are much more lax than those in The City.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #3

I don't think I've seen anything in the Chicago ordinance about the .308 Winchester being an outlawed caliber, but the city pretty much has a stranglehold on everybody with their "assault weapon" definition. It has a bayonet mount, doesn't it? I think that they are classifying it as an assault weapon.

According to Chicago https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPath/About%20CPD/Firearm%20Registration/handgun-registration-20B-with-offender-registry.pdf

“Assault weapon” means:
(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock
(ii) a handgun grip which protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
(iii) a bayonet mount
(iv) a flash suppressor or a barrel having a threaded muzzle
(v) a grenade launcher; or

(2) A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following: (i) a folding or telescoping stock
(ii) a handgun grip which protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(3) A semiautomatic handgun that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the handgun outside the handgun grip
(ii) a barrel having a threaded muzzle
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the handgun is unloaded
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

Stay safe, stay prepared

Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7315 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 8971

WOW!! That pretty much rules out anything.

Warrior1256 Likes This 
Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #5

Yep, the lovely laws of Chicago, thankfully I have close friends that are located in some surrounding suburbs that get to watch my toys for me. It's not optimal, and I don't believe that the Chicago ordinance is constitutional, but I don't have the money to test out that theory.

Stay safe, stay prepared

Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

and here i thought the SCOTUS had ruled against Chitcagos unconstitutional gun laws and ini favor of the 2A and the people.

But what were we thinking, the criminals that run Chitcago are a law unto themselves!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #7

Yeah indeed after re-reading the city ordinance, I realized that my M1A fell under their stupid "assault gun" category. Stuff like that makes me want to leave the city. I don't think there is a even a bayonet mount on the rifle.
The weapon I bought was an M1A Socom:

Does it really fall under the assault gun category?

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
Yeah indeed after re-reading the city ordinance, I realized that my M1A fell under their stupid "assault gun" category. Stuff like that makes me want to leave the city. I don't think there is a even a bayonet mount on the rifle.
The weapon I bought was an M1A Socom:

Does it really fall under the assault gun category?
according to the above restrictions yes. the m1a has a threaded barrel.

the only real solution is to leave that hell hole and stop supporting their idiocy with your tax money

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #9

Liked 134 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 240

yeah, well read a little more, because its not just chicago that doesn't allow the "forum unfavorite descriptive term" -assault rifles, its a cook county ban that is in effect. keep your toys in DuPage or outside the crook county limits my friend

Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #10

Crook county sucks.