Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Need Some Legal Advice On Changing State Of Residence

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta,Ga.
Posts: 248
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Question Need Some Legal Advice On Changing State Of Residence

I am an OTR truck driver. My state of residence is Ga where I also have a conceal carry permit and have paperwork in process for a suppressor. I stay on the road and live in my truck and have a storage unit that I will keep in Ga but will be changing my state of residence to Montana. Is this going to cause problems for me? Like I said the storage unit will be in Ga and my guns will be in storage or at a friend or relatives and will not be crossing state lines. Montana has no state tax and the company I work for is based out of MT and it will save me money to do this. Thanks.

__________________

.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

ryevick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,538
Liked 1351 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Default

I trained horses for a lot of years. You are probably aware that a racing meet only lasts a few months. Most of the time I had to hire more help each time I moved. You can have a residence in MT and maintain your status as a GA resident for quite a while. In fact, I am not sure you have to move your residence to MT to claim you have moved your business to MT. I had to pay payroll taxes in several states every year. But my business was located in LA. I only had to pay out of state payroll tax on the employees that were a resident of the state where we were racing. I paid LA tax on my full time employees no matter where we raced.

__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato


Last edited by John_Deer; 01-23-2013 at 02:00 AM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta,Ga.
Posts: 248
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I trained horses for a lot of years. You are probably aware that a racing meet only lasts a few months. Most of the time I had to hire more help each time I moved. You can have a residence in MT and maintain your status as a GA resident for quite a while. In fact, I am not sure you have to move your residence to MT to claim you have moved your business to MT. I had to pay payroll taxes in several states every year. But my business was located in LA. I only had to pay out of state payroll tax on the employees that were a resident of the state where we were racing. I paid LA tax on my full time employees no matter where we raced.
Well, I'm a company driver and I travel all of the lower 48 states. I'm only required to pay taxes from the state I live in. If I live on the road I may as well change my residence to my company terminal where they have rooms for us in MT and pay no state tax. I haven't officially done it yet but I assume I will have to get a CDL driver's license that shows MT... I just don't want to cause any problems with my carry permit or silencer paperwork.
__________________

.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

ryevick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,864
Liked 19583 Times on 11115 Posts
Likes Given: 49298

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
Well, I'm a company driver and I travel all of the lower 48 states. I'm only required to pay taxes from the state I live in. If I live on the road I may as well change my residence to my company terminal where they have rooms for us in MT and pay no state tax. I haven't officially done it yet but I assume I will have to get a CDL driver's license that shows MT... I just don't want to cause any problems with my carry permit or silencer paperwork.
this might be a very good question for an attorney to answer for you. an attorney could walk you through the proper steps on this and keep you legal. another thing is the reciprocity laws. does one state that you want to move to honor the other state you officially reside in? this is purely a guess, but from the ATF standpoint on the suppressor, i am going to guess they really don't care what state you reside in as long as it's legal for you to own it in that state. the CC permit is another issue as that's at the state level and not federal.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Resist all Tyranny and Oppression.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta,Ga.
Posts: 248
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
this might be a very good question for an attorney to answer for you. an attorney could walk you through the proper steps on this and keep you legal. another thing is the reciprocity laws. does one state that you want to move to honor the other state you officially reside in? this is purely a guess, but from the ATF standpoint on the suppressor, i am going to guess they really don't care what state you reside in as long as it's legal for you to own it in that state. the CC permit is another issue as that's at the state level and not federal.

yeah, may have to talk to an attorney... even though i have a conceal carry permit i don't use it because it is unclear whether truck drivers can legally carry a gun in their truck so i don't (which is bs)... that's a whole nother HUGE can of worms that people can't seem to come to a decision on including law officials but my weapons and silencer will remain in ga.
__________________

.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

ryevick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,265
Liked 8321 Times on 3598 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Default

1, See a lawyer about establishing legal residence.
2. Talk to the ATF about the suppressor. You most notify them when taking an NFA item to another state.
3. Nothing in the Federal Motor carrier Safety Regs prohibits having a firearm in a commercial vehicle. You may go some places it is illegal to take one (ports that are secured by MARSEC, etc)

__________________

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 8,704
Liked 5084 Times on 2891 Posts
Likes Given: 4244

Default

A recent court case had interesting results. Factors to consider in establishing legal residency.

The court ruled that if you pay income tax to the state.(If applicable), if you are on the roll of a church in that state, make donations to charities, belong to local civic organizations, purchase a resident hunting/fishing license in that state and no other, own residential property and pay property tax, rent a dwelling place and a few others I can't remember, these are all factors that establish residency..

And of course ya don't need all of them.

__________________

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,359
Liked 7668 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 9890

Default

You might try getting onto a full-time RVers forum and asking there. I know a couple of full-timers who list their state of residence (IIRC South Dakota is one of the states that is commonly used for this purpose, but I think Montana is another one) but the very rarely ever go there and own no property there as they are constantly moving. I know of one guy who set it all up with a PO box and everything yet he had never once set foot in SD! They just have their mail forwarded to them wherever they are.

As othere said, as far as the supressor and CCW are concerned you need to check with an attorney and/or BATF and state laws.

When I was RVing I would carry in the "coach" (behind the driver's seat) as that was considered to be my domicile. It is a grey area for sure. I imagine that your sleeper would be considered the same. You can have a gun in your domicile.

__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta,Ga.
Posts: 248
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
1, See a lawyer about establishing legal residence.
2. Talk to the ATF about the suppressor. You most notify them when taking an NFA item to another state.
3. Nothing in the Federal Motor carrier Safety Regs prohibits having a firearm in a commercial vehicle. You may go some places it is illegal to take one (ports that are secured by MARSEC, etc)
IF I did take a firearm in my truck I wouldn't even think about taking the suppressor... there are so many things to consider not to mention different view points... DOT in wyoming told me I can't (could have just been that guys view though)... I've read the firearm has to be unloaded and locked up (bs imo)... not to mention my company has a policy of no firearms but can they really over-ride my 2nd amendment??? would the feds consider their policy... state laws change depending on where you are... it's very confusing and total bs in my opinion... i should be able to carry in my truck as an extension of my home anywhere in the USA....
__________________

.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

ryevick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

You can not bring a Class 3 weapon into any state in which they are not legal. The suppressor is considered a class 3 weapon. If you have to transport the suppressor every state you cross, it must be legal.

__________________
nitestalker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
LLC Legal Advice KAG NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 0 03-04-2012 08:25 PM
Legal Silencer USE in WA State parinoid54 Legal and Activism 4 02-14-2011 01:42 AM
Need legal advice asap!!!!!!! ajchatty Legal and Activism 6 04-13-2010 02:51 AM
Federal Legal Advice scpratherii Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 05-22-2009 01:04 PM
Buying a gun outside state of residence? NewdRiver Politics, Religion and Controversy 1 01-22-2009 10:46 PM