Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Need help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/need-help-29408/)

slowgt 07-17-2010 03:49 PM

Need help

Hello im David Just wanted to stop and say hello!! Im trying to find out if some one will help me to get some # off a gun that has been stolen I have the guys Info on Where the gun was bought new And his name is there any thing i can do? Or am I sol. Thanks guys

canebrake 07-17-2010 05:04 PM

Not sure what your question is?

Hand gun?

Long gun?

What State are you in?

More data please?

Poink88 07-17-2010 05:08 PM

If I am reading your post right, your gun was stolen and you do not have the serial number on record and you want to find it out. Correct?

How did you buy the gun (face to face or shipped to an FFL)?
Where did you buy the gun (individual or store)?

Jpyle 07-17-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowgt (Post 316379)
Hello im David Just wanted to stop and say hello!! Im trying to find out if some one will help me to get some # off a gun that has been stolen I have the guys Info on Where the gun was bought new And his name is there any thing i can do? Or am I sol. Thanks guys

Are you the owner? Go to the shop where the gun was purchased and ask if the BATF Form 4473 is available. I believe FFLs are required to keep a log of transfers. The serial number may also be on the box or case the gun came in or on the receipt.

General_lee 07-17-2010 05:21 PM

FFLs are required to keep a log of transfers as well as inventory.
They are logged in and out of the A&D books just like regular inventory.

The 4473 form will have the serial number.
Their acquisition and disposition logs should have the number as well.

If the gun was bought new, the serial number should be on the case/box that the gun came in.. if you still have the box, it might save you a trip to the FFL.

slowgt 07-17-2010 05:45 PM

nc long gun browning 7mm

slowgt 07-17-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poink88 (Post 316386)
If I am reading your post right, your gun was stolen and you do not have the serial number on record and you want to find it out. Correct?

How did you buy the gun (face to face or shipped to an FFL)?
Where did you buy the gun (individual or store)?

My dad got the gun 25 tears ago from a guy he worked with and now he is dead. Not my dad the other guy.. And the shop where the gun was got at new has been closed for 10 years..

Jpyle 07-17-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowgt (Post 316398)
My dad got the gun 25 tears ago from a guy he worked with and now he is dead. Not my dad the other guy.. And the shop where the gun was got at new has been closed for 10 years..

That sure would have been helpful to know in the initial post. :) Any chance your Dad kept the bill of sale? The serial number may be on there. Short of that I believe you are out of luck, sol as you said, unless the gun has been insured or the serial number has been written down or photographed at some point.

slowgt 07-17-2010 06:01 PM

Man we had the # somewhere and cant find them and I have looked for pic of it for 3 mo I guess im sol anyone have belgum made and assembled 7mm they want to sell

billdeserthills 07-17-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 316387)
Are you the owner? Go to the shop where the gun was purchased and ask if the BATF Form 4473 is available. I believe FFLs are required to keep a log of transfers. The serial number may also be on the box or case the gun came in or on the receipt.

I am an FFL, and while I am responsible for keeping records for a minimum of 20 years, my records are kept in chronological order. Makes it tough if you don't know when the gun was purchased... Plus, I do not have a duty to look up anything for anyone but the jackbooted thugs, just sayin...