Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Need Advice on Firearm legality.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Advice on Firearm legality.

So a family member of mine got 2 pistols from one of their friends storage lockers. He went to jail and can no longer own firearms. One of the pistols was offered to me. However, the person who is in jail now is a questionable character. I have no idea if the pistols were stolen or obtained illegally.

What I also don't know is if I go to the Sheriff with this story and in possession of a potentially stolen firearm, how do I know I will be safe from any charges? I would like to own this pistol, but if the risk it too great I'd rather keep my record clean.

Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 382 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 582

The fees you pay to a local attorney for his counsel on this matter will be significantly less than the costs incurred by spending a decade in club fed. Those pistols might be clean, they might not be clean. Hire a local lawyer and have him find out on your behalf.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Also, some states have a database of stolen firearms that may be accessible to you.

But do go through an attorney.

Welcome to the forum. When you sign in, please go to the "Introductions" area.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 09-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

LULz,
The best course of action is to take the firearm to your local sheriff’s office and have an officer run the serial number. Worst case scenario they will take the firearm from your possession. Let them know the story behind the firearm an you will be fine.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroesTactical View Post
LULz,
The best course of action is to take the firearm to your local sheriff’s office and have an officer run the serial number. Worst case scenario they will take the firearm from your possession. Let them know the story behind the firearm an you will be fine.
Agree. I went through this with a computer and dvd player. Not nearly viewed in the same light as a gun, but I lost 100 bucks total (what I paid for the goods) and gained some piece of mind, knowing I was no longer in possession of stolen goods and didn't have to worry about getting busted for it later. It was a really dumb move on my part, I knew that laptop and dvd player were worth more than 100, but I also knew the dude was down on his luck and there was a good chance they were actually his.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

*the following will not be construed as valid legal advice as it is one man's opinion.

I don't know all the gory details of your situation but...

I would not consult an attorney.
I would not consult law enforcement.
I would not involve an FFL.

I would trust my gut.
I would involve myself in a private transaction.
I would get a written receipt.

You have no foreknowledge of a crime.
You are not knowingly receiving stolen property.
Private sales are legal.

Enjoy your new weapon.

Be Well.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Legal advice can only be given by an attorney, if you really want the gun speak to one first so that you fully understand the potential consequences. Being in possession of a stolen gun, or being charged with illegal possession is a serious matter and an expensive one to defend against even when you have no prior knowledge.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #8

It is really simple, call your local PD or the WA State Patrol tell them you are going to do a private purchase and want to make sure the gun is not stolen before you buy it. They will run the numbers. All the people saying to get an attorney are paranoid.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 1091

I am with Jared,
I would call the local police department and ask for a shift commander. Since if you contact a rookie or someone who had no knowledge regarding the issue or experience. I would tell him the story and ask him if he will run the numbers if you either bring the pistol or just the serial numbers to him prior to buying it. Or come and check either at your location. Unless you have a bunch of idiots as law enforcement officers in your area, they should be more than happy to assist you since you are trying to stay safe and within the law. I can speak like this because I retired with 27+ years in the service. There are good officers and then there are idiots.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #10

Liked 1640 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

I had someone leave a gun in their hotel room by mistake. The maid freaked out. Anyway, before I returned it to the guest I called the local PD. They were more than happy to run the serial number for me. Then I knew I was not turning over a hot gun. I believe they would have been happy to do it in your situation as well.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.