Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Need advice about whether this is a legit move or not? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/need-advice-about-whether-legit-move-not-47176/)

Thematador 08-21-2011 11:01 PM

Need advice about whether this is a legit move or not?

My cousin lent me his Springfield 9mm handgun, in order for me to take to the range sometime. However, I am only borrowing the said gun and plan to give it back to him in the next month or so.

I live in the State of Virginia and so does he.

I know this maybe somewhat of a dodgy question to ask but is me having my cousin's handgun which is registered to him in my possession for a a limited amount of time legal or not?

robocop10mm 08-21-2011 11:23 PM

As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a handgun (convicted Felon or under a protective order, etc.) no Federal laws have been broken. You would need to consult an attorney in your state who is well versed in State and Federal firearms laws to know for sure.

Remember, the legal advise you get online is worth every penny you paid for it.

Thematador 08-22-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 567506)
As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a handgun (convicted Felon or under a protective order, etc.) no Federal laws have been broken. You would need to consult an attorney in your state who is well versed in State and Federal firearms laws to know for sure.

Remember, the legal advise you get online is worth every penny you paid for it.

Ok thanks, It appears that no state law's on the issue have been broken ether.

Just wondering do you think it would be ok to call up my local state police barrack or court to confirm?

Millwright 08-22-2011 12:42 AM

What I take from this question is the antis have won the war. >MW

willfully armed 08-22-2011 01:54 AM

Virginia does not require the registration of firearms, neither does the fed.gov

Thematador 08-22-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 567602)
Virginia does not require the registration of firearms, neither does the fed.gov

Ok so I'm within my perfect legal right to have this Springfield 9mm in my possession?

willfully armed 08-22-2011 02:00 AM

Are you 18 or older? Ever been convicted of a felony? Domestic battery? Had a protection order against you? Legal resident of VA?

Thematador 08-22-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 567609)
Are you 18 or older? Ever been convicted of a felony? Domestic battery? Had a protection order against you? Legal resident of VA?

Yes
No
No
No
Yes

So it appears I'm good to go.

c3shooter 08-22-2011 02:58 AM

Oh, Lordy- did I miss greeting a fellow Virginian? :eek: Welcome, neighbor!

Virginia does not have registration of ordinary firearms. Neither does the Federal govt. So long as you are not a "prohibited person", that is, one that may not possess a firearm, you are good to go.

You also need to find a good local gunshop that has been in business for a while that can answer questions like this one, and help edumacate you.

There are several of us on here from the Old Dominion- I'm in the Richmond area, others are scattered all over.

therewolf 08-22-2011 03:31 PM

I'd like to point out that caution rules the day.

Guns can become trouble with a capitol "T"

when others get involved.

Avoid brandishing, showing it off, taking it anywhere

public besides the range, etc.

Keep it locked away from little hands, especially.

If you do with it only what you stated, perfectly

legal.

Be sure to get to the range, and get in your shooting time

with it, while you have the opportunity.