Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Ive been keeping an eye on this bill for a while now and to me it just seems like a huge waste of time and energy. States have very good reasons not to share reciprocity with other states, mainly differing training requirements, who is the govt to step in and say different?

For me personally, it's a moot point...my state already shares reciprocity with any and all other states I'd want or need to set foot in. I've NO desire to go to CA, IL, or the northeast to begin with.

Call it apathy if you want, but i think our efforts are better spent on more pertinent issues regarding gun rights.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #12

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Makes sense, I stand corrected

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 03-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
BKT...

Federal laws have always taken trumped State laws. That's why there are many Federal laws that seem too lenient (take, for instance, the age of consent...federal age is much lower than any state age, which allows the states to raise the age where they see fit; also take the drinking age, states could raise it, but they can't lower it... are those examples trampling state's right or the will of the people??). These State "laws" that are being trumped are not the "will of the people", but the will of the ruling bodies. I know, I live in one of those State's that don't honor carry permits from other states. And that is not due to what the people want, it's because of what our Governor and AG want.

If you want to see the will of the people, have the issue put to a national vote. Otherwise, you really can't say "the will of the people" when our elected officials don't truly represent our will.

As far as your statement about no permit to own/carry, that's something I agree/disagree with.
The Governor was voted in by the people. We don't live in a direct democracy we live in a representative republic. This law sounds good but has two issues that I see. One is that it is trumping state law and I don't like that. Two is that although reciprocity will be mandated, state law must still be followed and those vary greatly state to state. There will be gun owners that go to jail due to ignorance of the specifics of the law of the state they are in and while that is their own fault the penalties for violating those laws are much more severe than violating a traffic law.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
The Governor was voted in by the people. We don't live in a direct democracy we live in a representative republic. This law sounds good but has two issues that I see. One is that it is trumping state law and I don't like that. Two is that although reciprocity will be mandated, state law must still be followed and those vary greatly state to state. There will be gun owners that go to jail due to ignorance of the specifics of the law of the state they are in and while that is their own fault the penalties for violating those laws are much more severe than violating a traffic law.
That's very true. Just being in possession of an AR15 made after September, 1994(?) with a collapsible stock or a bayonet lug or having post-ban hi-cap mags - that can hold more than 10 rounds - might just be a felony in New York. What does that do to your gun rights everywhere in the country? Bad news.

Rather than mandate a reciprocity bill, how about formally incorporating the Second Amendment against the states, just as many other amendments in the BoR have been? Wanna do 4473 background checks? I'm against it, but I'd tolerate it when purchasing from FFLs or stores. Don't mess with face-to-face sales and we're OK. But that should go for every firearm and registration of any firearm should be illegal.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Personal transfers are already being screwed with in ma. If by some chance you can get your hands on hard copies of the paperwork it won't be accepted anyway. So you have 2 options, pay a dealer for the transfer which limits you to the ag's stupid list or go to the e_fa10 at which point you need all info for both parties. No more guns popping up out of mid air. If the person is from a non-license state you can't do it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Right, the Governor WAS voted in by the people. Just like Every representative, senator (both, state and US) and president. But, that doesn't mean they can pass whatever they want (granted, they do, but..) and you say "it's the will of the people". No, it's not. The people are fickle and you really can't predict how they will side on an issue when it is presented to them.

Almost everyone thought the people of California would vote against Prop 8. They instead voted FOR it. It was later overturned.

The people's will is not shown in who they vote into office. It's not what the elected officials dictate it to be.

As a Republic, our elected officials are supposed to actually represent us, not what they think we want. If they are not 100% certain, they are supposed to ask us.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's very true. Just being in possession of an AR15 made after September, 1994(?) with a collapsible stock or a bayonet lug or having post-ban hi-cap mags - that can hold more than 10 rounds - might just be a felony in New York. What does that do to your gun rights everywhere in the country? Bad news.

Rather than mandate a reciprocity bill, how about formally incorporating the Second Amendment against the states, just as many other amendments in the BoR have been? Wanna do 4473 background checks? I'm against it, but I'd tolerate it when purchasing from FFLs or stores. Don't mess with face-to-face sales and we're OK. But that should go for every firearm and registration of any firearm should be illegal.
Hmmm... formally incoporating the Second Amendment for all states?? And that would mean what, exactly? The 2A does not allow for concealed carry, it isn't even concerned with an AR with "a collapsible stock or a bayonet lug or having post-ban hi-cap mags". So, how exactly would that be any different?

Short answer, it wouldn't.

As far as laws restricting this that and the other thing and getting arrested for violating this law or whatever...

Check the laws of the states being traveled though, or that you want to go to with your guns.

Here in MA, our AG doesn't allow XDs. HOWEVER, a lawful gun owner in CT, RI VT or NH that owns one, and wants to go to a range here in MA, CAN bring it with them - as well as their hi-cap mags.

Our retarded laws concerning firearms restrictions fall under "consumer protection", so all the "illegal" guns that would be coming into our state, won't get you locked up. All that crap means is that we (subjects of the Commonwealth) can't buy them from retailers.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Personal transfers are already being screwed with in ma. If by some chance you can get your hands on hard copies of the paperwork it won't be accepted anyway. So you have 2 options, pay a dealer for the transfer which limits you to the ag's stupid list or go to the e_fa10 at which point you need all info for both parties. No more guns popping up out of mid air. If the person is from a non-license state you can't do it.
Really? I have had no issues with hard copies. Nor have many of the other firearms owners I know. So, where's you proof? (or are you reading crap people say on the internet and taking their word for it?)

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

If you go to any of the local police departments in the area they will tell you there are no fa-10 forms available. This has been the situation since shortly after the Efa-10 was introduced. I had a bunch of spares in anticipation of this and was informed I could not use them and that peoples transfers had been rejected for doing so. I went over to my buddies shop and asked him and he verified. Efa-10 or dealer transfer only. It's another way for them to limit what is available for people of ma.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1123 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

If enforced reciprocity would just stay at that level it would be OK. But "the lord" (not capitalized) giveth and "the lord" taketh away. The feds (not capitalized) are trying to play "the lord". Once they control gun rights and pre-empt states' rights they are likely to replace states' permits with national permits that include the requirement to register all your guns. Then the next thing would be to revoke all the permits and use the lists of guns/owners to confiscate them.

'Just because I'm paranoid, that doesn't mean they are not out to get me"