Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 566 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 3259

Default National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2012/national-right-to-carry-reciprocity-act-of-2012-introduced-in-us-senate.aspx

So, what do you think? The House bill passed (in the House), does this Senate bill have a chance to pass the Senate? Do either have a chance of escaping a pocket veto by the prez?

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1824 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 557

I doubt it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #3

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

That's a great bill. If driver's licenses are recognized in all 50 states, CCW should too.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

If this passed it would be awesome... but, with the way things are going im not going to hold my breath.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #5

Liked 1283 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Warning:

Just remember, it is the Federal government taking one more bite out of the State's rights. What the Federal government gives they Federal government can take away. It may be good in the short term for gun rights, but terrible in the long run.

I would rather my state have control over my rights. Remember that the states with the largest populations, and the most power in Washington, are also the States that have some of the most restrictive gun laws.

If you live in North Dakota, or Florida, do you want Californians or New Yorkers deciding your carry rights? Today, if you feel you can't live with your gun laws, you can move to another state. If there is National control, you would have to move to another country.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 03-15-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Umm... Chainfire, You're kinda wrong here.

The ONLY thing this Bill does is to allow those that are permitted to carry concealed in their home state to carry concealed in other states that allow concelaed carry. Is does not take away from individual rights, in fact, it's just the opposite, it would GIVE more freedom.

There is no "National Control". Have you even read EITHER of these bills?

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
Umm... Chainfire, You're kinda wrong here.

The ONLY thing this Bill does is to allow those that are permitted to carry concealed in their home state to carry concealed in other states that allow concelaed carry. Is does not take away from individual rights, in fact, it's just the opposite, it would GIVE more freedom.

There is no "National Control". Have you even read EITHER of these bills?
No, Chainfire's right.

What it does is step on state laws, effectively nullifying the will of the people of a state. New York has reciprocity with no other state, but this federal law would trump the state law.

Don't get me wrong, there should be 100% reciprocity everywhere, but it should be done at the state level, not as a federal mandate. In point of fact, no permit should be required anywhere to acquire or carry firearms, but that's another issue.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #8

I'd love to see this pass, especially since the neighboring state that I travel to frequently does not have reciprocity. I'm not going to hold my breath on this one though. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

BKT...

Federal laws have always taken trumped State laws. That's why there are many Federal laws that seem too lenient (take, for instance, the age of consent...federal age is much lower than any state age, which allows the states to raise the age where they see fit; also take the drinking age, states could raise it, but they can't lower it... are those examples trampling state's right or the will of the people??). These State "laws" that are being trumped are not the "will of the people", but the will of the ruling bodies. I know, I live in one of those State's that don't honor carry permits from other states. And that is not due to what the people want, it's because of what our Governor and AG want.

If you want to see the will of the people, have the issue put to a national vote. Otherwise, you really can't say "the will of the people" when our elected officials don't truly represent our will.

As far as your statement about no permit to own/carry, that's something I agree/disagree with.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2050 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 3083

Chainfire is right on. This feel good legislation ignores states rights. Furthermore, you would not be able to carry in Illinois, New Jersey or New York City. Thankfully this thing will never become law.

Last edited by alsaqr; 03-15-2012 at 01:55 PM.