Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/national-right-carry-reciprocity-act-2012-a-60274/)

Mason609 03-15-2012 03:41 AM

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2012/national-right-to-carry-reciprocity-act-of-2012-introduced-in-us-senate.aspx

So, what do you think? The House bill passed (in the House), does this Senate bill have a chance to pass the Senate? Do either have a chance of escaping a pocket veto by the prez?

JTJ 03-15-2012 04:30 AM

I doubt it.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 03-15-2012 04:31 AM

That's a great bill. If driver's licenses are recognized in all 50 states, CCW should too.

Steenkamp 03-15-2012 09:00 AM

If this passed it would be awesome... but, with the way things are going im not going to hold my breath.

Chainfire 03-15-2012 09:41 AM

Warning:

Just remember, it is the Federal government taking one more bite out of the State's rights. What the Federal government gives they Federal government can take away. It may be good in the short term for gun rights, but terrible in the long run.

I would rather my state have control over my rights. Remember that the states with the largest populations, and the most power in Washington, are also the States that have some of the most restrictive gun laws.

If you live in North Dakota, or Florida, do you want Californians or New Yorkers deciding your carry rights? Today, if you feel you can't live with your gun laws, you can move to another state. If there is National control, you would have to move to another country.

Mason609 03-15-2012 10:01 AM

Umm... Chainfire, You're kinda wrong here.

The ONLY thing this Bill does is to allow those that are permitted to carry concealed in their home state to carry concealed in other states that allow concelaed carry. Is does not take away from individual rights, in fact, it's just the opposite, it would GIVE more freedom.

There is no "National Control". Have you even read EITHER of these bills?

bkt 03-15-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason609 (Post 741144)
Umm... Chainfire, You're kinda wrong here.

The ONLY thing this Bill does is to allow those that are permitted to carry concealed in their home state to carry concealed in other states that allow concelaed carry. Is does not take away from individual rights, in fact, it's just the opposite, it would GIVE more freedom.

There is no "National Control". Have you even read EITHER of these bills?

No, Chainfire's right.

What it does is step on state laws, effectively nullifying the will of the people of a state. New York has reciprocity with no other state, but this federal law would trump the state law.

Don't get me wrong, there should be 100% reciprocity everywhere, but it should be done at the state level, not as a federal mandate. In point of fact, no permit should be required anywhere to acquire or carry firearms, but that's another issue.

bkace4 03-15-2012 10:19 AM

I'd love to see this pass, especially since the neighboring state that I travel to frequently does not have reciprocity. I'm not going to hold my breath on this one though. Thanks for posting the link.

Mason609 03-15-2012 10:50 AM

BKT...

Federal laws have always taken trumped State laws. That's why there are many Federal laws that seem too lenient (take, for instance, the age of consent...federal age is much lower than any state age, which allows the states to raise the age where they see fit; also take the drinking age, states could raise it, but they can't lower it... are those examples trampling state's right or the will of the people??). These State "laws" that are being trumped are not the "will of the people", but the will of the ruling bodies. I know, I live in one of those State's that don't honor carry permits from other states. And that is not due to what the people want, it's because of what our Governor and AG want.

If you want to see the will of the people, have the issue put to a national vote. Otherwise, you really can't say "the will of the people" when our elected officials don't truly represent our will.

As far as your statement about no permit to own/carry, that's something I agree/disagree with.

alsaqr 03-15-2012 01:52 PM

Chainfire is right on. This feel good legislation ignores states rights. Furthermore, you would not be able to carry in Illinois, New Jersey or New York City. Thankfully this thing will never become law.