National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

So what happens to us folks who live in places that don't need no stinkin' licenses?

VT FTW!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #12

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

okay somebody break this down barney style for me. just what EXACTLY does it mean? I know I would be able to carry in any state with my MS CCW, but would I have to go by the other states laws or my home state's laws? As far as carry condition, or vehicle transpo?

For instance, with my MS CCW I can carry open or concealed here at home. but lets say I go to California for a visit; would they be able to make me carry in condition 4 as a nonresident, or what?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2970 Times on 1646 Posts
Likes Given: 4702

Just what we need: Another federal law that a president like Obama can set aside due to some trumped up crisis. What ever happened to states rights?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Yep, let's let the federal gov't get involved in concealed carry-wrong answer!! i hope this thing never passes. Congress and the federal gov't needs to stay out of concealed carry.
If the federal government allows this, they then have a single throat to choke. Currently, Right-to-Carry is a state issue.
In God We (I) Trust

Old 09-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle
Hearing Scheduled for H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011
Friday, September 09, 2011

For months we have been reporting on a critically important bill: H.R. 822—the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. This vital NRA-backed legislation, introduced earlier this year by Congressmen Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) will enable millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states.

NRA-ILA :: Hearing Scheduled for H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011
Hopefully I will be able to carry anywhere. That would be cool.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 146 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

basically it would just be expanding on present law.

Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default What "States' Rights"?

For all practical intents and purposes states rights pretty much died after the Southern War for Independence and was buried with rhe passage of the 14th amendment, the only problem is that until the McDonald v. Chicago case, the 2nd amendment has been the ONLY amendment that has not applied to the states. This has enabled anti-gun states to not only deny their own citizens the right to keep and BEAR arms, but also those from other states as well.

I think it's only fair and proper if all states would voluntarily honor each others' CCW permits, for that matter all states should allow constitutional carry like Vermont, Alaska, Arizona & Wyoming do but they don't, so if it takes the feds forcing the states to honor each others carry permits then I think that's great.

If states have "rights" then why is the U.S. government suing to stop states that have passed immigration laws (which either mirror or are more lenient than federal law) to stop them from enforcing them? States don't in practice have any rights, only in theory WHEN it pleases the federal government.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #18

Liked 1024 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
states don't in practice have any rights, only in theory when it pleases the federal government.
bingo!!!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #19

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
For all practical intents and purposes states rights pretty much died after the Southern War for Independence and was buried with rhe passage of the 14th amendment, the only problem is that until the McDonald v. Chicago case, the 2nd amendment has been the ONLY amendment that has not applied to the states. This has enabled anti-gun states to not only deny their own citizens the right to keep and BEAR arms, but also those from other states as well.

I think it's only fair and proper if all states would voluntarily honor each others' CCW permits, for that matter all states should allow constitutional carry like Vermont, Alaska, Arizona & Wyoming do but they don't, so if it takes the feds forcing the states to honor each others carry permits then I think that's great.

If states have "rights" then why is the U.S. government suing to stop states that have passed immigration laws (which either mirror or are more lenient than federal law) to stop them from enforcing them? States don't in practice have any rights, only in theory WHEN it pleases the federal government.
In the absence of federal law each state may pass it's own laws. Once a federal law is passed any state law is pre-empted by the federal law under The Supremecy Clause of The Constitution. Challenges to federal supremacy have been consistently defeated by The Court. The Warren Court opinion on a State's (PA) anti-treason laws is a good example...

Quote:
"As was said by Mr. Justice Holmes in Charleston & Western Carolina R. Co. v. Varnville Furniture Co:

"When Congress has taken the particular subject matter in hand, coincidence is as ineffective as opposition, and a state law is not to be declared a help because it attempts to go farther than Congress has seen fit to go."
In your example the immigration laws are federal laws therefore state laws are rendered unenforceable, this is exactly what the proposed reciprocity law is intended to do, i.e. render all state CCW reciprocity laws moot and impose a universal federal reciprocity.

I believe that the Court stopped just short of incorporating the 2A in the McDonald case so states are still pretty much exempt from it's guarantees and restrictions.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #20

The principles involved make this a complicated issue. On the one hand, it would be nice for CCW to be uniform across the states. On the other hand, uniformity limits state's rights to decide for themselves.

My personal opinion is that an efficient modern economy is helped by more uniformity. It's helpful to my work that my cell phone operates in CA, OR and KY (thanks FCC, otherwise it would be like the US vs. Europe where my phone does not work.) It's hurtful to our economy that CA gets to set different emission standards for cars. But I also recognize there are two sides to this. Certainly nowhere in the constitution does it say "the federal government can regulate spectrum use." My cell phone working in these locales is a direct effect of limitation of the rights of the states to regulate the spectrum as they see fit.

So I mostly have no idea. As an aspiring CCW permit holder in KY, I'd love to not worry about state laws. But as someone who thinks that the patriot act is far too much centralized authority, I'd love the federal government to start giving states more authority.

Nothing is ever easy or simple.